Light Won't Stay On - Help

• Thread starter Eli Bloom
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Eli Bloom

Eli Bloom

Starting on Monday night my lights will turn on, stay on for maybe 10 minutes and then shut off.

Most of the time when it is on it will be in a light blue spectrum instead of the full red HPS.

This is just one of my lights, a 600 HPS. Bought the digital ballast, hood, and bulb in January.

I tried putting it on a different circuit and that didn't help.

Any thoughts on whether the issue is with the bulb, assembly, or ballast?

Thanks!

hiboy

hiboy

The bulb is the easiest thing to change obviously but it is possible you can fry a good working bulb in a ballast that is screwed up at least in my trade that happens
Normally though it is a ballast issue not the bulb and if it's a color difference in bulbs it just has not heated up yet
Hb

Eli Bloom

Eli Bloom

The bulb is the easiest thing to change obviously but it is possible you can fry a good working bulb in a ballast that is screwed up at least in my trade that happens
Normally though it is a ballast issue not the bulb and if it's a color difference in bulbs it just has not heated up yet
Hb
Thanks for this reply. I was wondering if the ballast could be root cause.

The bulb stays blue for a while and never goes red and then just shuts off.

Maybe I'll bring the ballast and ask them to take a look at it at the hydro store. It's definitely under warranty.

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Thanks for this reply. I was wondering if the ballast could be root cause.

The bulb stays blue for a while and never goes red and then just shuts off.

Maybe I'll bring the ballast and ask them to take a look at it at the hydro store. It's definitely under warranty.
Is it a magnetic or digital ballast?

Eli Bloom

Eli Bloom

alright just got home from the hydro store.

dude was convinced it was the bulb. i brought the bulb and ballast. he said that since it doesn't kick over to the red spectrum it's likely that something was broken and gas was being released. apparently the newer digital ballasts sense that and automatically shut off as a safety feature.

luckily the bulb was under warranty so he just swapped it out for a new one.

if this happens again and it turns out it was the ballast then i'll go back. the ballast is still under warranty as well.

SO RELIEVED to have this resolved!

thanks for the input guys.

Top Bottom