Lighting Problem - Periodically going out and restarting

• Thread starter NorCalAlien
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
N

NorCalAlien

Hi all - hope everyone's grows are going well.

I'm having an issue with my light. It's a 600W electrical ballast, to a Hydrofarm Hood and a Hydrovission (?) 600W HPS bulb. Except for the new bulb, I got all the parts for free when my buddy cleaned out an old storage unit. No idea how old any of it is.

For the first time since using it 6 weeks ago, it will periodically turn off for about 10 - 15 seconds, then power up again for 45 mins or so before cutting out again.

I'm far from an electrician, but am assuming the ballast is going? Is it likely to get worse? Any way to fix it? Or, if it stays the same...can I just ride it?

The room has other non-grow lights in it, so even when it flickers off, there's still light in the room. Also, this light is only used for plants in the veg stage.

Grateful for any input.

N

NorCalAlien

Yeah it’s most likely the ballast then but you’re describing a bad bulb that’s overheating so verify it’s good first
Thanks. I have a few 1000W bulbs sitting around. How bad of an idea would it be to try one on the 600W ballast?

Bluntsmoke

Bluntsmoke

Thanks. I have a few 1000W bulbs sitting around. How bad of an idea would it be to try one on the 600W ballast?
Should work just won’t be 1000w. I change and repair building lights at work and I have never changed a ballast for what you’re going through it’s always been a bad bulb. Not saying it isn’t the ballast by any means but ballast generally either work or burn out

N

NorCalAlien

Should work just won’t be 1000w. I change and repair building lights at work and I have never changed a ballast for what you’re going through it’s always been a bad bulb. Not saying it isn’t the ballast by any means but ballast generally either work or burn out
Again, much obliged. That would be wonderful news for my broke ass. Especially if the 1000w will work.

Any brand recommendations for most bang for your buck bulbs?

N

NorCalAlien

So.....after doing the 10 sec periodic "off" thing most of yesterday, they powered on this morning....and have been fine for the past 12 hours!

I had ordered a backup just in case.

But, sometimes it's better not to ask too many questions and to just be grateful I guess.

D

Dugplug

Hi all - hope everyone's grows are going well.

I'm having an issue with my light. It's a 600W electrical ballast, to a Hydrofarm Hood and a Hydrovission (?) 600W HPS bulb. Except for the new bulb, I got all the parts for free when my buddy cleaned out an old storage unit. No idea how old any of it is.

For the first time since using it 6 weeks ago, it will periodically turn off for about 10 - 15 seconds, then power up again for 45 mins or so before cutting out again.

I'm far from an electrician, but am assuming the ballast is going? Is it likely to get worse? Any way to fix it? Or, if it stays the same...can I just ride it?

The room has other non-grow lights in it, so even when it flickers off, there's still light in the room. Also, this light is only used for plants in the veg stage.

Grateful for any input.
Yes get a new ballast

Top Bottom