Lighting question for SOG.

• Thread starter scarface1980
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
scarface1980

scarface1980

Hi all and a merry xmas to you all, as the the title says... i'm having a few problems deciding on what lighting to use for a SOG on 4 x 8 ebb and flood table. I am considering to use one of the the following options:-

1. 2 x 1000w lights
2. 2 x 600w lights on a light rail
3. 3 x 600w lights

The grow will be in a sealed room with all the relevant pieces of equipment i.e. a/c, heater, dehumidifier, co2 etc.

Plants will be kept small with no veg time.

I understand that the 1000w will be need to be kept further way from the plant and that this can exponentially reduce the intensity of the light being received by the plants, so i'm wondering would it be of benefit to use 600's so they can be placed lower than the 1000 watters.

Would the 1000w lights really produce much more denser buds then the 600w.

thank you for reading, and your help would be very much appreciated.

lollipopman

lollipopman

I read a thread on rollitup where a cat did all 3, do believe he got better yields with 2 600's on a light rail, but never go wrong with 1k's

W

weedfarm

I have used 3 600's and 2 1000's over 4x8 SOGs. I prefer the 1000's.

When I used the 600's the plants on the edges were smaller. In a large room with all the tables pushed together it was obvious, it looked like rolling hills with peaks under the lights, and dips on the edges.

If you can get a good hood with a good foot print that will cover those edges, maybe you can get better results with 600's.

when you say SOG how many plants per 4x8 table? To me a true SOG is 132 per 4x8 table. If you are only doing 30-40 plants you may want the 1000's for better penetration.

also if you air cool the hoods, heat wont be an issue. I have always been able to put my hand on my air cooled hoods.

and yes I felt my 1000's were denser

tortuga1503

tortuga1503

I was running 3 600`s on my 4x8 last run. I think if you grow a shorter strain the 600`s are fine but a taller Og you want the 1000`s you just get so much more penetration through the canopy. I recently swithced to 1k quantum digi`s. I like the idea of hardening them off under 400 watters than bumping it up to 600 to veg than turning them up to 1k`s when I flip. I like the xxxl magnums. I`m buying 4 of them real soon like next week.

scarface1980

scarface1980

thanks for the reply guys.

lollipop i also read the same thread about the guy that tried all three methods. I was gonna go for 3 600's but i've never used 1000's and would like to see what they can do. it's just an extra expense though as i already own 2 600's.

weedfarm.... it will be a true sog grow with 128 clones on the table. i do have air cooled hoods at the moment, but was thinking of investing in some growstar parabolic hoods as i've heard good things about them, however they aren't air cooled... if heat does become an issue, the a/c should take care of it. this will be my 1st sealed grow.

scarface1980

scarface1980

tortuga i've also heard good things about the magnums... my friend swears by them, they are HUGE!!

strain i'm thinking of running is either barneys blue cheese, or possibly chemdog ibl. i will only be sticking to one strain as i want an even canopy.

previous experience with the blue cheese strain has taught me that this strain does love to stretch alot, with regards to the chemdog; i have no experience with this strain so will be a new experience to me should i choose to run this strain.

lollipopman

lollipopman

I'm going to do sog too, 2x4 tables, thinking of going with 4" blocks haven't decided yet.

mittenmedgrow

mittenmedgrow

I have ran the 1000 watt for years 4 over an aeroflo 120 no veg time lollipop style. I got legal and and switched methods now I grow bushes my friend gave me 3 600 s I ran it right in a reflector right next to the 1000 no comparison I'm not talking about penetration I'm talking about tops. 3 600s might yield more but no comparison. I know quite a few growers that swiched from1000s to 600s whent the digital ballsts came out there all back to the 1000s. I use the 600s for verticals in between the 1000s but would never buy them.

scarface1980

scarface1980

thanks for the replys fellow farmers, i've decided i'm gonna give the 1000's a go. Lets see what these badboys can do and how they compare to the 600's. Now all i have to do is decide what strain and whether to get the growstar reflectors. time blaze another xmas bowl and enjoy the rest of my xmas. Hope you all have a very buzzing merry xmas.

tortuga1503

tortuga1503

Oh ya forsure buzzing right along this Merry Christmas. Blackberry Kush is super bomb if done right and finished all the way out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom