Lighting Question.......t5 Vs. Mh

• Thread starter PapaPurple
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mr roboto

mr roboto

Yeah they will run off both 120v and 240v.just have to use a dif cord Is all.i got mine at plantlightinghydroponics.com so if your close to ohio the shipping will be reasonable.i run a good mix of bulbs in mine,6 x 65k , 4 x 26k and 2 x 10,000 kelvin plants seem to like it :)
Thanks for the tips, I am a lil further south west than Ohio but am willing to spend the extra few bucks for shipping. I want to try and ditch the ac in my veg tent and save some room and I only need to drop it a few degrees so I'm betting on that Badboy will help with that. Thanks again SS

JamesWatt

JamesWatt

My vote would be to go with a MH before T5

ceramic METAL HALIDE (CMH) is probably the best most affordable lighting for veg

P

PapaPurple

I wouldn't say affordable by any means but I'll let a couple grows get out and than see about investing in a CMH. But I definitely appreciate the feedback

JamesWatt

JamesWatt

The money you save on replacing T5 bulbs and less wattage for more coverage, adds up quick!
Theres a reason they come with a high price tag

VERMONTSKUNKS

VERMONTSKUNKS

i have 2 of the 12 bulb units now and one is at least 3 years old.i really like them,its more of a square footprint with the 4 extra bulbs,and they work on 240volt which i believe keeps the ballasts cooler cause these things aint as hot as my hydrofarm 8 bulbers.
yeah man hydrofarm t-5's are warmer ive noticed! T-5's will grow anything!

VERMONTSKUNKS

VERMONTSKUNKS

I wouldn't say affordable by any means but I'll let a couple grows get out and than see about investing in a CMH. But I definitely appreciate the feedback
if it aint broke why fix it??? or spend tons of bucks??? I couldn't agree more! I remember when folks were preaching about l.e.d's surpassing h.i.d lighting.....yeah ok lol!

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

CMH is great if you can afford the price of admission,id bet you recover it fast though in energy savings.T5s are not that efficient,an 8 bulb badboy running at 240 is close to a 600 in energy consumption at 432 watts or something like that and the footprint is pretty close to the size of the fixture imo.CMH technology will go down in price once theres some competition between fixtures and it will become the norm unless something better comes along,plus you can flower under it too.

VERMONTSKUNKS

VERMONTSKUNKS

I didn't realize that those 8 bulb set-ups pulled as much as a 600. I gotta wait for them to drop in price, more lumens, less power consumption is obviously worth it once its affordable for me for sure!
CHM bulbs are HID sooooo.... try and keep up....
I was referring to l.e.d lighting...I have no issues keeping up! I do on the other hand have issues with premisconceptions!

P

PapaPurple

While I have a pretty active topic with you guys....I think what I'm going to do for now is veg under my T5 with one red spectrum bulb in my 4 bulb. Invigorate that way. I'm going to run my first 2 weeks of flower under A 400W MH with the introduction of a UVB reptile light. Than im going to continue with the UVB's and run my 600w HPS all through flower right up until the last 2 weeks. I'll run my 600W HPS, my 400W MH and supplemental UVB's on the side. I'll get full spectrum. Way better crystals, aromas, flavor. I Shouldn't lose too much in yield. Strain is purple berry. But I have a pretty active topic and I am open to ALL advice from practiced growers. This will be a completely hypothetical flower for the 1st time.

sixstring

sixstring

I didn't realize that those 8 bulb set-ups pulled as much as a 600. I gotta wait for them to drop in price, more lumens, less power consumption is obviously worth it once its affordable for me for sure!

I was referring to l.e.d lighting...I have no issues keeping up! I do on the other hand have issues with premisconceptions!

i run 2 of these and yes they pull a bit more then a 600w hps @ 648w but they are way cooler to run so i think im saving on a/c.
http://www.plantlightinghydroponics.com/badboy-t5-fluorescent-grow-lights.html

the standard 8 bulb unit draws 432 watts.i have installed these for a few friends veg rooms and they are also real cool running.the top shields on the badboy is vented all over the place so heat doesnt get trapped at the canopy,it goes straight up,kinda like the epaps.

@PapaPurple your plan sounds good if you have that equipment and are willing to put in the time and effort to make those periodic changes.gl bro.

P

PapaPurple

I have sinced switched up my tactics for this first grow. Still logging my grow for now. But I'm at 2 weeks 400W Hortilux MH. Last 5-6 weeks 1,000W HPS with supplemental UVB lighting running parallel with my HPS. UVB lighting only mocking that of the sun at high noon for 6 hours during peak lighting 3 hour after morning to 3 hours before night?! Any suggestions guyz? Experience appreciated? This is my first grow like this...I'm used to conventional red spectrum lumens. It's only recently did I start reading more indepth on how much of the spectrum is still necessary in flower. Down in the blues and purple spectrum all absent and UVB is filtered out through bulb glass, when it's necessary for gland production. Resin is produced to protect the plant and that's where the THC is located so it's pretty important to have that present correct?

Top Bottom