Lighting, Root Stim, and Nutrient Mixs

• Thread starter Purpstickipunch
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Purpstickipunch

Purpstickipunch

Few Questions for you hydrofarmers. I am growing in a closet about 3x4, small space. I need some advice on lighting, and nutrients.

My problem is I am in a state where pot is illegal, bleh. We have smoke shops but they are mainly for pieces and bongs, I am pretty sure they don't sell growing supplies. So heres my first question

1. Where do I buy supplies plant nutrient, is a generic lowes hydroponic nutrients safe for my ladies?

* The Seeds, embarassed to say but they are just some reggie weed seeds. Nothing special unfortunately, but I know certain strains thrive on certain ph balances and nutrients, ahem... what would enhaunce reggie weed?

2. Lighting, keep in mind, I am looking to grow one maybe two plants if I can? This is where I get particularly lost. I looked up the faqs on lighting, and in general makes sense, but it doesn't recommened based on how many plants...unless I missed something.. either way, theres this huge buzz over led lights and CFLs.

Appreciate your help smokies!:anim_30:

sedate

sedate

Purpstickipunch said:
I am growing in a closet about 3x4, small space. I need some advice on lighting, and nutrients.

Can you ventilate the space or not?

If you can - then something like this would be your best bet:

Replace the reflector with the one called "EasyCool6" or the "Airoflow" ..

Purpstickipunch said:
Lighting, keep in mind, I am looking to grow one maybe two plants if I can? This is where I get particularly lost. I looked up the faqs on lighting, and in general makes sense, but it doesn't recommened based on how many plants...unless I missed something.. either way, theres this huge buzz over led lights and CFLs.

If you can't ventilate the space - then you're stuck with CFL's, T5's, or LED's.

All of which veg well but are fairly weak sauce for nug production.

The system I linked to above would be far, far superior than any of those options.

Purpstickipunch said:
1. Where do I buy supplies plant nutrient, is a generic lowes hydroponic nutrients safe for my ladies?

Purpstick said:
The Seeds, embarassed to say but they are just some reggie weed seeds. Nothing special unfortunately, but I know certain strains thrive on certain ph balances and nutrients, ahem... what would enhaunce reggie weed?

Generic lowes hydroponic solution? Wow.

Fuck no.

To properly prepare your nute solution you will need distilled water, a TDS and pH meter, and a quality hydroponic fertilizer - Botaincare, AN, General Hydroponics - there are a great many choices here.

Certain strains don't thrive on "certain" pH balances - hydro solution should be 5.8 and soil solution should be at 6.5. Always.

The strength of the solution should start at 250 - 500ppms and work up to about 900-1000ppms depending on the lights you select.

Um. Broadly speaking - I'm not sure you realize just how much you are biting off here.

Purpstickipunch

Purpstickipunch

Can you ventilate the space or not?

If you can - then something like this would be your best bet:

Replace the reflector with the one called "EasyCool6" or the "Airoflow" ..

If you can't ventilate the space - then you're stuck with CFL's, T5's, or LED's.

All of which veg well but are fairly weak sauce for nug production.

The system I linked to above would be far, far superior than any of those options.

Generic lowes hydroponic solution? Wow.

Fuck no.

To properly prepare your nute solution you will need distilled water, a TDS and pH meter, and a quality hydroponic fertilizer - Botaincare, AN, General Hydroponics - there are a great many choices here.

Certain strains don't thrive on "certain" pH balances - hydro solution should be 5.8 and soil solution should be at 6.5. Always.

The strength of the solution should start at 250 - 500ppms and work up to about 900-1000ppms depending on the lights you select.

Um. Broadly speaking - I'm not sure you realize just how much you are biting off here.

Well I am a begginner, the task doesn't threaten me one bit. Actually Im pretty determined to get this started. Im just refreshing myself with the dos and donts basically.

I guess what I mean is, is do you buy your solutions online from a websource, or do you purchase your supplies on ebay?

Thanks

sedate

sedate

Um. I live in Colorado. I have 20 hydroshops within 20 minutes.

If I were to order online, I'd order from PlantLightingHydroponics.com or HTGSupply.com

KAL EL

KAL EL

Many good places to get stuff online.
Try greners or htg or amazon and ebay.

Purpstickipunch

Purpstickipunch

Yeah last night I checked amazon and I saw that they had some different varieties to choose from. HTG I am gonna check out.

Sedate, man so jealous of you. We live in St. Louis Mo. and we took a trip to Denver, Jesus your state has it all the mountains, weed, now all you need is the fuckin beach.
Love your state. Thanks for your input.

Purpstickipunch

Purpstickipunch

Question for ya people?

The 600Watt HTG Bulb, would this be good through vegetation, and flowering? If not, what kind of bulb do I want for my flowering stages?

Thanks all, I looked in the FAQS and couldn't find anything. So Thanks again!

Purpstickipunch

Purpstickipunch

Yep I found it, skipped over it last night. Was blazed.

sog1313

sog1313

no worries mate happens to me all the time. im following a similar path as you, trying out the home-made hydro approach. you may want to check out my first DWC experience. Keep reading, keep asking questions, and you'll get the hang of it

sedate

sedate

Purpistickipunch said:
The 600Watt HTG Bulb, would this be good through vegetation, and flowering? If not, what kind of bulb do I want for my flowering stages?

Um. If you are looking at HTG's 600w packages - these are a pretty good value - I like the ArgoMax or the SunMaster. Don't waste your money on a hortilux.

Don't get the generic HTG or the GrowBright. They are like industrial rebrands and are way down at like 1900K in light - I don't give a shit what the posted rating is those shit bulbs are dark (like DEEP amber) as shit.

Purpstickipunch

Purpstickipunch

Um. If you are looking at HTG's 600w packages - these are a pretty good value - I like the ArgoMax or the SunMaster. Don't waste your money on a hortilux.

Don't get the generic HTG or the GrowBright. They are like industrial rebrands and are way down at like 1900K in light - I don't give a shit what the posted rating is those shit bulbs are dark (like DEEP amber) as shit.

Shit brown bulbs. XD terrible!!! Good thing you said that I was looking at the Hortilux. Thanks man!

May all your bags be fat!!

sedate

sedate

Purpstick said:
Shit brown bulbs. XD terrible!!! Good thing you said that I was looking at the Hortilux. Thanks man!

Yea man.

Make sure you get a sealed hood too - one of the EasyCool's or the AiroFlow - way easier with the HTG packages than to buy it stand-alone later. those open aluminum reflectors are garbage and you can't get them anywhere close enough to the canopy for dense bud production.

Even if you don't hook up a fan and ducting - the glass barrier makes sealed reflectors much easier to manage and far, far more effective vis-a-vis proximity to the canopy.

And yes, a few inches makes a big fucking difference.

purpstick said:
May all your bags be fat!!

:passingjoint:

<--- Don't forget, rep button is here.

Purpstickipunch

Purpstickipunch

Yea man.

Make sure you get a sealed hood too - one of the EasyCool's or the AiroFlow - way easier with the HTG packages than to buy it stand-alone later. those open aluminum reflectors are garbage and you can't get them anywhere close enough to the canopy for dense bud production.

Even if you don't hook up a fan and ducting - the glass barrier makes sealed reflectors much easier to manage and far, far more effective vis-a-vis proximity to the canopy.

And yes, a few inches makes a big fucking difference.
:passingjoint:

<--- Don't forget, rep button is here.

Gotcha Rep!
Yeah I'm gonna push for the fan/ducting cause I know proper ventilation is a big problem for most, so basically gonna bite the bullet and get it taken care of. Less stress and hassle for the plants... and me. LOL.

For the walls of my room I was thinking of getting a flat white paint with some antifugus/bacterial paint. But, I was looking through the faqs and someone posted about rubber roofing paint, it was highly reflective, and it sealed the room basically from moisture, mold, and what not- thing is, is I can't find it at homedepot, nor lowes. Im gonna keep looking but so far, nonya.

sog1313

sog1313

if youre going the paint way check out Killz brand flat white ceiling paint or some heavy duty kitchen/bathroom paint with microban. The best thing is really mylar or something similar like black/white poly if you can get it. 50' x 4' roll of 1 mil mylar shouldnt be more than $20.

sedate

sedate

purpistik said:
For the walls of my room I was thinking of getting a flat white paint with some antifugus/bacterial paint. But, I was looking through the faqs and someone posted about rubber roofing paint, it was highly reflective, and it sealed the room basically from moisture, mold, and what not- thing is, is I can't find it at homedepot, nor lowes.

Wow I'm not sure about all that.

I like Ralph Lauren Polo Titanium White.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Wow I'm not sure about all that.

I like Ralph Lauren Polo Titanium White.

Forget the brand name. Basic white paint, with no color mixed in it at all, is the most reflective. It's white because of the titanium oxide in it. Any color just reduces refectivity. Adding Microban to it is an excellent idea, since you're likely to get it pretty humid in there, and probaby splash around some nutes. Go to a quality paint store, not a big box, they'll be able to help you.

Definitely get some kind of waterproof plastic or something underneath, and bring it at least a few inches up all the walls and tape/tack it in place. It's not 'whether' you'll have a spill doing this, it's a 'when'.

Toker Ace

Toker Ace

Here is my setup, Compact, cheap, basic and effective. Read through it, look at the pictures and ask questions

Top Bottom