Lighting suggestions for a 10 x 10 tent

• Thread starter codypendant
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I am running CO2 and I run the plants as close as 8” with Fluence and about 18” with Gavita.
To be honest I have an Apogee light meter and I never use it. Once you start getting in tune with the plant you get an idea of what they can and cannot handle. You will hear people say oh I start counting flower days once I see the little cotton balls on the top. About day 11 to 13. This is due to lighting. The breeder information is more than likely tied to 1000 watt double ended HPS.
Last night I had to start tuning down the watts on some plants growing under Gavitas. Day 39. If I run them at 100 percent every plant I have ever done it to Foxtails like no tomorrow.
CO2 helps but I have had the same numbers without CO2. It’s been a while but I might have ran those a little longer.
It seems insane to me that the top light manufacturers are never really mentioned.
The comments above are a big part of why I detested these threads. There is usually 3 to 4 of them a week and people with one or two grows with XYZ light are always quick to jump on about that XYZ light.
But you know ABC lights are better ...

I'm not disputing your grows either. You've been at it a while and the results have shown. No question. Just wanted all the information on the table. We've talked about it before ... everyone who has them loves their quantum boards. Yes, they do the job. Yes, with some experience with the light style, a grower can do an awesome job. However, there's better lights out there for sure.

I made it through this thread so far without mentioning the brand I run. I'd like to sell some quantum boards and replace them with another.

Anthem

Anthem

It’s really quite daunting doing the research on what light to buy. So much bro science out there, it’s crazy. I have been doing research for a month now on lights lol. I have watched so many videos, read so many articles. I am very science inclined, so I love all the techie stuff.
See that is what is so interesting to me. I use to research the crap out of stuff. Specifically associated with Cannabis. I had a good 4 to 6 weeks into researching lights 4 years ago. I went by a hydro store on my way home and I am 99 percent sure I was looking at a early quantum board from abroad. The tech happened to mention that Gavita just came out with an LED. I bought one. I think it was about 1700 back then. The place I bought it from did not even know Gavita had came out with LED. I figured if they were the 800 pound gorilla I should use their tech. I got lucky. But those where their 1650 LEDs wilhich they replaced with their 1700. I have both. You know the biggest change they made? No lense.

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
It’s really quite daunting doing the research on what light to buy. So much bro science out there, it’s crazy. I have been doing research for a month now on lights lol. I have watched so many videos, read so many articles. I am very science inclined, so I love all the techie stuff.
i went with best functionality combined with the best adaptability that could come close to what i needed, remembered @steamroller grow journal and how he altered his lights. talked with him for a bit and came to a decision that in the end looks like the right one. bro science is out there just gotta take that science from the bro's have shown its possible. i watched 100's of youtube reviews they differ so much light to light.

Anthem

Anthem

The largest problem you are going to find with research anything and I mean anything to do with Cannabis. Is there is too much miss information on the web with Cannabis.
Sounds like you are on track with tent, being 7’11”. You will need it. Consider what nutrients you want to run, growing style. And secondary nutrient inputs.
Yield and quality are
Genetics
Lighting
Environment
Nutrients (look up the thread Ballin on a budget)
Pretty much in that order of importance

Anthem

Anthem

i went with best functionality combined with the best adaptability that could come close to what i needed, remembered @steamroller grow journal and how he altered his lights. talked with him for a bit and came to a decision that in the end looks like the right one. bro science is out there just gotta take that science from the bro's have shown its possible. i watched 100's of youtube reviews they differ so much light to light.
Well like did the Light you selected have an Independent sheer test? I know HLG does this with all their gear. Oh and by the way I do not own a single HLG product.

Anthem

Anthem

I’m not having issues which is kinda weird considering everything I read about the gavita 1700e is you have to have them like a foot off the canopy. Some nugs are less than an inch with no issues. Fatty nugs too
What media and grow style are you using?

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Well like did the Light you selected have an Independent sheer test? I know HLG does this with all their gear. Oh and by the way I do not own a single HLG product.
i watched about 15-20 reviews about just this specific light and its equivalent competitors, both had their positive point but only one was able to be altered in the way i needed, and with a way that was proven to work i went with it

Anthem

Anthem

i watched about 15-20 reviews about just this specific light and its equivalent competitors, both had their positive point but only one was able to be altered in the way i needed, and with a way that was proven to work i went with it
I think I mentioned a brand not a specific light. I wonder what you altered. What did you alter

Anthem

Anthem

I’m not having issues which is kinda weird considering everything I read about the gavita 1700e is you have to have them like a foot off the canopy. Some nugs are less than an inch with no issues. Fatty nugs too
What light are you using?

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
I think I mentioned a brand not a specific light. I wonder what you altered. What did you alter
literally the ability to cut a light in half, for preference i needed a 2x8' coverage but wanted a higher end light for full coverage, the ability to cut a 4'x4' light in half being in a 4x8 tent i wanted a straight line down one side of the tent with accessibility to all plants without having to move anything when comparing 2x4' Lights i could find nothing with the coverage dimensions i wanted i remembered a post by stream months ago with lights he cut in half, sent a message and had a convo with him. without that i would not have chosen the light i bought even after all the positive reviews. sometime ingenuity overtakes even the most advanced science. ill take individual proof over a general review any day. steam in his actual actions proved to me it was possible and then i re-researched hgow it would work for me . There's a reason we ask advice on these forums its because we can see results in real time. meters can say whatever they want but seeing the results in our specified application is a whole different proof of theory for me.

I'm not leaning in one direction or the other some ways work better for some but that's usually how i make final decisions. i like to see real proven results and the people on here who test those facts are the real people that help people like me. i cant thank them enough lol. Grow easy brother!

Anthem

Anthem

and I run 1000w in my 4x4. my disagreement was with the word minimum.
Let’s put this into perspective based on the OG post. Guy wanted lighting suggestions for a 10’ x10’ tent. Price it not an issue and he wants to run CO2. So ya 640 watts per 4’x4’ minimum. I use that formula and it works very well. I mentioned above that I am turning down lights at day 39 but the point being that is what the plant can handle and in the case based on his needs that would be a minimum.

Anthem

Anthem

literally the ability to cut a light in half, for preference i needed a 2x8' coverage but wanted a higher end light for full coverage, the ability to cut a 4'x4' light in half being in a 4x8 tent i wanted a straight line down one side of the tent with accessibility to all plants without having to move anything when comparing 2x4' Lights i could find nothing with the coverage dimensions i wanted i remembered a post by stream months ago with lights he cut in half, sent a message and had a convo with him. without that i would not have chosen the light i bought even after all the positive reviews. sometime ingenuity overtakes even the most advanced science. ill take individual proof over a general review any day. steam in his actual actions proved to me it was possible and then i re-researched hgow it would work for me . There's a reason we ask advice on these forums its because we can see results in real time. meters can say whatever they want but seeing the results in our specified application is a whole different proof of theory for me.

I'm not leaning in one direction or the other some ways work better for some but that's usually how i make final decisions. i like to see real proven results and the people on here who test those facts are the real people that help people like me. i cant thank them enough lol. Grow easy brother!
That makes al lot of sense. I try to base everything off of 4’x4’ grow areas. I figured this was another person talking about dimming. I am not sure how the ones with dimmers onboard work. I assumed it went from 100 percent and the next jump is to 75 percent. I want to be able to adjust at 1 percent increments, which is what I do,
I try to automate everything I can. Which I have done for the most part. I just need to get some auto PHers out of storage and I will be able to just do rez changes once a week. For me it is about keeping it as simple as possible. And getting out of the trees to look at the forest

Anthem

Anthem

It’s looking amazing.
So what is the threshold that makes it so you need co2.
Not fully understanding when you’d want it and why
I see floraflex just dropped a new 1000w led that pulls 1000w. I’m assuming you’d want to run co2 with something like that?
Can you post up a link to light you are talking about please.

Anthem

Anthem

Darn phone. I looked it up and it appears to draw 1200 watts. If it is legit that is way over kill. 1700 PPFD is pretty high. That is like double. I just cannot get the plants to take that much light. Bugghee said something in a recent podcast with that Mr grow it guy. “You can push the plant harder. But everything else have to follow suit. I took it to mean. The harder you push the plant the more dialed in the reminder has to be. I just do not see a home grow being able to dial in everything else that well.
If you had an Aroyo system and the environment dialed in maybe. I just do not know

Anthem

Anthem

Also you have to find out tge diode count per light. I think the stuff I use is between 3300 and 3600 per 4’x4’ area. This is critical for longevity. The lower tge diode count tge more watts per diode and the degrade with more watts

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

@Aqua Man what’s your thought on this lights?
Who could use 1200w of led ?
Honestly i need to really look into it. I haven’t used the light or know anything about it.

there is a huge amounts of variables. But all lights will work. Photomorphology, efficiency, quality, cost are all things to consider.

What works for one may not work as well for others. Personally spectrum, cost and quality are what i look for. there are best lights imo for each category it all deoends on your preference.

Latest posts

Top Bottom