lightproofing inward swinging door help needed

• Thread starter Camdawg
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Camdawg

Camdawg

Any suggestions on light proofing an inward swinging door? I used the stick on closed cell foam and it worked well for about a week but the friction of the door opening and closing pulled it off do you think if I cleaned and redid the foam it will actually stick and hold?

mayonnaise

mayonnaise

I stay away from the foam and use soft rubber. It won't disintegrate as fast as the foam. I found thin enough strips at the auto parts store. Friends of mine have just stapled panda plastic around the edge of the door with about 2" overhanging. A little more crude and def not smell proof but cheap and effective.

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
yeah, I've used panda but upon any entry door I'll have a tarp door cut into a wall of something so that the entry door doesn't allow any light to bleed when you load up supplies...

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
What if you just extended the moulding on the outside of the door, since it's not going to be opening in that direction anyway?

rick ratlin

rick ratlin

Perpetual Farmer
Supporter
Cam, you gotta have a real clean surface for the foam to stick. Once in place, use a firm roller or tape roll and apply serious pressure from top to bottom to get it to stick. Also, since most door frames and doors aren't usually flush, get different sizes of foam, they can be layered on top of one another. I ran into your same problem the first time I used the foam weather seal (which I assume is the basic stuff from Casa Depot) +1 for the tip to add overhang to your door, including the bottom. I use reflectix for that particular application.

J

Jalisco Kid

If you got the money Janus came up with One good idea the whole time I have known him with growing. A revolving dark room door.(actually 2 good ideas but that's another story) I believe he spent about 200 bucks on one. One of the few things I have yet to use in my room. They work great especially when your hands are full. JK

Latest posts

Top Bottom