lights and electric bill

• Thread starter hemdigler
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

hemdigler

does anyone know how much a light cost per month on your electric bill? for example 400watt hps, i am looking at doing 3 tents eventually with a 400watt hps in each, but then you have fan for the light and fan for the air scrubber. so here it is

2-vortex fans
1-400watt hps
1-fan

per tent... anyone?

J

johnnyballbag

Premium Member
Supporter
I've always assumed 10 cents per kilowatt/hr. What size fans? I know the 6" vortex inlines use about 100 watts, not sure on the 4's. I'll overshoot and say your other fan is 100 watts, but leave that out for now as i'm assuming it's a circulation fan ran 24/7.

So you've got 600 watts running 12 hours a day. So that's $.06 per hr, $.72 per day, $21.60 per month. The circulation fan costs you a quarter a day, so that's $7.50 a month, bringing you to $29.10 a month. So roughly $30 a month, per tent.

J

Jalisco Kid

If you are in socal they do not play that way. They nail you for going over baselines.When you get in the 500% over baseline you do not really want to know how bad they are screwing you. JK

J

johnnyballbag

Premium Member
Supporter
It can't be all THAT bad though can it? I mean, he's talking about running a 400 watt tent, down the road maybe 3 of the same tents. I know of plenty of cats socal running a lot more than that.

B

boxmunch9

by going over baseline to you mean normal useage? Pge is charging us 5times BC hydro

sdgrower

sdgrower

1800 watts plus a portable air conditioner (an extra 1k watts or so), plus fans and regular home usage runs around $500 a month give or take (San Diego prices).
The house is a 3 bedroom 2 bath home with 2 occupants. All possible savings short of solar power are in effect. No dishwashing, no laundry etc.
I can only imagine what JK's rooms cost. My guess is a 10k system with ac, chiller etc would be around $1900 to $2k/month plus.
This doesn't count any water bills that will also come into play since we are already at drought levels and they intend to bleed us dry.
Don't be discouraged though growing your own is priceless and the BEST hobby to have imho.
Cheers!

H

hemdigler

thanks

thanks that gives me a much better idea on what to be looking for, granted i am in a state where elec. cost arent quite as high as san diego, i feel bad for u

S

sizzahash

can the electric company ...tell if i am running my lights when they come read my meter ..i am use 2 my old house it had a digital meter at my new spot i got a old meter with the spinning thing....and im not use of the meter man walking in my hard and checking my meter..i just want 2 no if they could tell....

sdgrower

sdgrower

They can tell by how fast/slow the meter is spinning.
If you are worried you can check your bill, the power companies typically tell you the days the meter is read.

Cheers!

sdgrower

sdgrower

Oh keep in mind they can only tell that something is currently using power, not what is currently using power.

J

johnnyballbag

Premium Member
Supporter
can the electric company ...tell if i am running my lights when they come read my meter ..i am use 2 my old house it had a digital meter at my new spot i got a old meter with the spinning thing....and im not use of the meter man walking in my hard and checking my meter..i just want 2 no if they could tell....

If you're not home, and the only thing running is your room, i wouldn't worry about it. You could be running ANYthing in there, and there job isn't to determine what that might be, they just wanna know how much you've used in the last month. I mean yeah, they'll be able to tell that you're using power at that exact time, but will have no clue and most likely no concern at to what's pulling that power. I run my lights at night partially due to that.

R

Rural_GrowOp

You Cali cats got the best and worst for growing. Granted the med exemptions are great and I would definitely not bitch about how much my electric cost if I could grow legally. That being said I am running about 3K along with all my usual house hold appliances and I have 5 people living in my house. My electric bill is only $190/month. I couldn't imagine paying what you guys do. No wonder pots so expensive in Cali.

N

Nuglover

Dude your whole setup runs about as much as a large electric hot water heater. No worries at all bro. I run a 600w with a 6in inline fan, 2 10in oscillating fans, 125w cfls, and 2 timers and mine runs about$50-$75/month depending if I'm running my 600w @12 or 18hrs.

J

Jalisco Kid

Once over my baseline I pay 32 cents winter and 34 cents summer.

H

hbstoner

Once over my baseline I pay 32 cents winter and 34 cents summer.

Ya that baseline shit is the biggest ripoff. I dont think ive ever been at the baseline.. even before i started growing. Just running a computer all day long can bump you over.

M

medicaluser700

Cuz of the baseline usage ripoff scam we pay 44 cents a KWH for most of our electricity.
Without the baseline scam my bill would be a 1/3 of what it is now. You can thank deregulation for that.

H

highroller

Premium Member
Supporter
Just looked at my bill and we pay 5.5 cents per kilowatt hour. Has been the same for nearly 20 years. Guess that's pretty good when compared to some. Our total electric bill is around 125 a month. I guess they are deregulating here in a couple of years tho and the rates are to be hiked 40%. Still a bargain compared to some at around 7.7 cents a kilowatt hour.

dj.scotfree

dj.scotfree

Hey JBB, Is it true that the electrical co charges different amounts per kwh according to what time of day it is... They charge more when it is "prime time" daytime right? So its prolly like 5-10 cents per KWH right? I can't find an old bill to look @... Is this a good range?

J

Jalisco Kid

You would have to have a digital meter installed to read when power was consumed.JK

Top Bottom