Lights and power usage optimization

• Thread starter msully4288
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

msully4288

Hi all,

Quick question on conserving power now that electricity just went up 50% in my area it has me thinking.

My 5 autos are currently flowering and I have a 400 watt LED ~ 20+ inches putting out 60K lux on the canopy, which is LST’d and low.

Does it make any difference to the plant yeild if I run 300W at 16-17in if the light output still measures 60k lux?

I don’t have a lot of autos growing and lowering the light still covers the 5 plants. If the yeild is still better at 400w higher up, I’ll do it, just not sure if it makes a difference.

I appreciate your input!

Nesta028

Nesta028

This is a great question that I’ve been pondering the answer to also. I run 1000 W LED bar style light fairly close to the canopy and powered down. I’ve done that in part during the summer to keep the light heat down. Heat is not an issue for me in the winter And I’m wondering if I should raise the light and crank the power up. I generally just try to follow PPFD at the canopy but I’m curious if I missing out on yield by doing that. I’m sorry I don’t have an answer for you, but I’m sure some of the experts on the farm will weigh in here.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

If you raise your lights higher and crank it at 100%, the intensity difference will be less through the canopy, which can help increase yield ... but it will also produce a lot more larf. Obviously, it also hits your wallet in the form of a higher energy bill.

Lower the lights and turn down the intensity, and it won't penetrate as deep ... However, if you also lollipop your plant and remove what would otherwise be larf and sucker branches from below the canopy, you'll grow a lot less larf and more bud you're happy with ... a bit less yield of course but more $$ saved.

Take your pick. Neither are wrong. It's up to you. A lot of people use the larf to make magic butter/oil for edibles.

freezeland2

freezeland2

Right now I have them on 18/6. Is 12/12 recommended for autos? This is my first grow.
They are in flower anyway, and you want to save electricity right? Treat them like a photo and save 6 hrs of juice everyday for the rest of the grow.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Right now I have them on 18/6. Is 12/12 recommended for autos? This is my first grow.
Keep your autos on 18/6. You shouldn't have to blast them with high intensity light either.If it were mine, I would turn the light down. You will lose some weight from the lower part of the plant, but not much.

I believe the post about 12/12 light was to lower your electric bill. It will lower your yield some too.

freezeland2

freezeland2

Keep your autos on 18/6. You shouldn't have to blast them with high intensity light either.If it were mine, I would turn the light down. You will lose some weight from the lower part of the plant, but not much.

I believe the post about 12/12 light was to lower your electric bill. It will lower your yield some too.
I think he is far enough along it wouldn’t hurt the yield much if any. Happy growing I’m off this thread.

D

dean1963

i'm only into my 4th grow so i'm a big time newb. but i believe you want 54 DLI for auto's once their past seedlings.
whether you do the 54 at 12 hours or 18 hours or 24 hours seems to be debatable from everything i've read.
i tried 12/12 with auto's when i was in flower with photo's ( only have 1 room ) and it didn't work out for me, but as a newb, i more than likely screwed it up myself.
good luck with whatever you go for and let us know how it worked out

D

dean1963

and out of curiosity what kind of bloodsucking place do you live in that allows a 50% increase in electricity?

M

msully4288

and out of curiosity what kind of bloodsucking place do you live in that allows a 50% increase in electricity?
Massachusetts National Grid supplier. Just went from 32cents/ kWH to 48cents/kWh in 1 month. Exactly 50% increase… wild.

“Inflation, global crisis and increased demand”

Looking for a cheaper supplier now. Luckily I don’t have electric heat, but I’m sure gas will follow the same path.

M

msully4288

Massachusetts National Grid supplier. Just went from 32cents/ kWH to 48cents/kWh in 1 month. Exactly 50% increase… wild.

Looking for a cheaper supplier now. Luckily I don’t have electric heat, but I’m sure gas will follow the same path.
I’m sure next quarter they’ll also post record profits, so buy stock now 😂

E

elusiveshame

As explained by my electric provider in New England in their email justifying the “significant rate increase next month”, natural gas costs are rising which apparently is used to generate electricity for the grid and that’s why our rates are increasing.

Pellet stove ftw.

Sorry to derail. Back to the weed talk :p

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

do yourself a favour and get the photone app, swipeleft and you will find DLI daily light integral. Whatever distance gives you closest to 40 is where you want to be at (unless heat becomes an issue at canopy). or around 1500 PPFD (also part of app) DLI is better as it takes into account the amount of time your giving light to your plants aswell

Top Bottom