Lights, lights and more lights. Sigh

• Thread starter Billy Mahoney
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

Billy Mahoney

Hello! I have finally picked out my Closet set up to START. I'm going to start with a 4x2 aero set up (8 plants) with a 4' T5 to start. However I know I'm going to need to switch to another lite source. My fear is the energy bill, I can't afford 400-500 electrical bill while runnin 2x1000W HPS (2x4plants).

Are there any suggestions on other successful lighting source during the flowering/bloom stages that won't run up my electrical bill too hardcore but will still work well?

What do people think of LED?

Since this is my first real Closet garden does anyone have any recommendations on Books? to help me get set up, ventilation, air circulation etc.

Thank you!

B

Billy Mahoney

Anyone? Is 2x1000W HPS overkill? What about CFL? your help is appreciated.

tokinupon1

tokinupon1

Your post doesn't give enough to give any advice. What exactly are you asking? I kind of have an idea my question is what size room are you in?

hiboy

hiboy

One thing to think about is that h.i.d. lights create heat, an exceptional amount more than fluor. or l.e.d.. So then you would be running an air cond. more and there goes ur monthly bill. Obviously line the room with reflective material to maximize any lights source. Plants grown under fluor or non h.i.d. lamps tend to be airy, from my experience. Just something to think about. It would be nice to have one 400w or 600w on a mover with fluorescents helping on sides. etc.
hiboy

Papa

Papa

Supporter
it's a tiny closet! go with fluorescents all the way.

hiboy, i attribute the "airy" to low light levels, not the source. if you pack enough lamps in there, close enough to the plants, you'll be fine. so in this closet, try to squeeze 10 or 12 of those T5 lamps in there.

btw, "CFLs" are fluorescents also, it stands for Compact Fluorescent Lamp.

Papa

B

Billy Mahoney

Fluorescents will be ok during Flowering?. Should I start with soil in stead of Aero? do you know a good thread for Soil growing or will I find it in my book?

Papa

Papa

Supporter
your 4'-T5 lamps come in different color temperatures [actually equivalent color temperatures). commonly, you'll see 3000k, 5,000k, and 6500k.

you can change these lamps, and mix them up, to adjust your light spectrum.

Papa

tokinupon1

tokinupon1

Growing in soil is pretty simple compared to aero or any hydro system really plus with a small op soil is alot cheaper. Can't really help to much with the Cfls but a friend of mine uses 3 of the 4ft t5s one on top two on the sides. He does pretty good and the way he looked at it was when ever he finds a place were he can expand he's got 3 t5s for his veg room. As far a reading there's plenty of info on the web and you can use alot of info from a gardening book from your local library

B

Billy Mahoney

Thats all great news thanks you! I will talk to my hydro store tomorrow to discuss which bulbs to use and when, and maybe I will buy an additional t5 row, do one on both sides then a 400W on top? Would that work nicely?

tokinupon1

tokinupon1

You talking a 400w hps? Cause again with any hps or metal h light they get hot it's burning metal and your going to have to vent that heat out of your closet

Papa

Papa

Supporter
forget about hps.

"try to squeeze 10 or 12 of those T5 lamps in there."

I_Love_THC

I_Love_THC

Light Spectrum, Intensity and Positioning.

Many ideas, but hasn't anyone tried vertical T5's? Many people are happy with the results - just saying.
When choosing a light source/sources, there are some basic things you're gonna want to know:
1. Plants have different needs in different stages of their growth.
During Vegetative stage, plants like Blue light better (6000K - 6700K is kinda the best you can get from this spectrum)
During Flowering stage, plants prefer Red light better - there is a lot of info on the subject, right here.
2. As you can see, there is a minimum of lumens per m2 to cover - so, the two things you will be considering the most, would be the spectrum of the emitted light and its intensity. The minimum you would have to cover would be at least 25 000 Lumens per m2. I don't know how big your growroom is, since I'm not really good in converting... and am a bit lazy, haha...
* light intensity is measured mostly in Lumens, its spectrum - in Kelvins or nanometers, when it comes to light sources. You can see what wavelength meets a specific color in Wikipedia. You can also see what's the connection between Kelvins and nanometers there, friend.
3. Mixed sources work best! If you're going with fluoro's, have half of them Blue and the other half Red. It would go like that: Blue-Red-Blue-Red-Blue-Red-Blue-Red.........

I tried growing with CFL's - I sucked, because I couldn't distribute the light evenly enough, so the plants stretched... After that, I thought "They're stretching anyway - gonna get a sodium" and bushed up a bit, witch only shows that you need to consider how you're gonna place your lighting, too - that is also very important, friend.
If you get 36 watt T5's plants can stay as close as 1mm or just be in contact and still not get burned.
Keep in mind that fluoro's require ballasts, while Compact fluoro's don't - that is also a great plus, if you ask me. Because ballasts also emit heat, so the best thing would be place 'em outside. At least that is what I'd do - donno how much heat they emit, but be sure you put the ballast/s outside if you're using HIDs...
I hope I helped you, friend! :)
Lots of Love.
Peace and Blessings,
the THC Lover.

Donnybrook

Donnybrook

Do yer self a favor & look into T-8's instead of T-5's ,

Almost the same lumen level output as a T-5 but a feckin lot less heat . Touch a 32 watt T-8 Bulb while on & then try to touch a burning T-5 .

The Best part is a T-8 fixture & Bulbs are much cheaper to buy & a lot less heat . Localise a few CFL's in side areas varying the Color Spectrum with a few Clamp on reflector work lights with a screw in double bulb Y splitter & you can pick up 52 actual watts of power consumption & approx 4,000 - 5,000 localised lumen's directed at specific sites where the extra light is needed .

I'm running 2,700 - 3,000 - 4,100 - 5,000 & 6,500 Color bulbs mixing up the color spectrum and seeing Brilliant Results . Sure let the Naysayers chime in & tell us about Floro's & Airy Buds per say . But Proven Results show that a Properly Done T-5 , T-8 & or CFL Grow is a Primo Tastin Bud . The Heat issue alone is a big plus along with the Co$t $avings . Sure it may take 10 - 14 days longer in Bloom & a bit longer in Veg , But Well worth the time for a True Cono Sur ,,, :harvest:

Papa

Papa

Supporter
Billy Mahoney, you've got a lot of good advice here.

btw, when Donnybrook and I_Love_THC use the word "color", they're talking about color temperature. don't try to grow with red and blue colored fluorescents . . . or black lights for that matter. (yes, we have to discuss this occasionally at the farm)

and I_Love_THC, CFLs have ballasts. they're built into the ceramic base. most are electronic nowadays. and you are right on about using them vertically. i'm not sure the dimensions of this closet are right for this, but in the proper application it's a wicked solution.

and yes, regular T-8s are super. the bump up to HO (whether we're talking about T-5s or T-8s) comes with a lot more heat. the T-8, 430ma lamps and striplights are cheap and readily available. the quick and easy home depot solution. but you'll have to put more of the 430ma lamps into your closet than the 10 or 12 800ma lamps i recommended earlier. if you're going to try the T-8 route, i'd shoot for 18 four footers.

if heat becomes a problem for you, you can always remote your ballasts into an adjoining room. i forget the maximum distance you can remote the ballast off the top of my head, but i'm sure you'll be fine if it's under 10 feet.

Papa

hiboy

hiboy

Didnt know about low light levels causin airy buds Papa, always thought it was the fluor. Will tell my homie that, and to increase them.
Ive got 6 1000 watters together with 112 watts per sq ft so i know im maxin out.
Dump the ideas of mh or hps in that 5' closet. Not worth the trouble of heatin and venting.. go with the fluorescents, which ever ones fit your budget. Just make sure they are the right kelvan like Papa said
hiboy

S

SSC

The best lighting source will be LED. No heat. Doesnt cost hardly anything to operate! By buddy has used lots of different LED's out there and none of them really performed the way they stated. He did find one at www.improvedled.com and it uses a type of LED's that nobody else uses. He has two weeks left on his grow and he is just blown away on the results. He is growing 6 plants under it and they are all buding huge and buds are super dense! He said he will be buying more of these lights once this grow is done!! Good luck!

Latest posts

Top Bottom