Lights

• Thread starter Mommag71
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mommag71

Mommag71

Ok. I have a question. We are going from clones/seedlings to veg, on 24 hour t5 lights. They seem to be doing very well. My real question though...when we move them to flower, do I put them on a 12/12 schedule and keep them there till harvest? Just seems like such an extreme change and I wanted to get some other opinions. I have been having a bit of a seed problem and I’m wondering if that sudden change could be it? I have checked so many times for light leaks and see nothing. I can’t see my hands in the room when lights are off. I’m just trying to figure out what’s up!
Thank you for any help!

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

Ok. I have a question. We are going from clones/seedlings to veg, on 24 hour t5 lights. They seem to be doing very well. My real question though...when we move them to flower, do I put them on a 12/12 schedule and keep them there till harvest? Just seems like such an extreme change and I wanted to get some other opinions. I have been having a bit of a seed problem and I’m wondering if that sudden change could be it? I have checked so many times for light leaks and see nothing. I can’t see my hands in the room when lights are off. I’m just trying to figure out what’s up!
Thank you for any help!

Yeah, sudden changes in environment can cause a plant to stress. There aren't many times in natures when an area goes from 24 hours of sunlight to 12 overnight. If you're going to run 24 hours in veg, it's likely smart to taper off an hour at a time a few weeks before flip.

Have you tried other lighting options? 18/6 or 19/5 seems to be the sweet spot for my plants.

Mommag71

Mommag71

Yeah, sudden changes in environment can cause a plant to stress. There aren't many times in natures when an area goes from 24 hours of sunlight to 12 overnight. If you're going to run 24 hours in veg, it's likely smart to taper off an hour at a time a few weeks before flip.

Have you tried other lighting options? 18/6 or 19/5 seems to be the sweet spot for my plants.
This is what I’m trying to figure out. It seems to me that sudden change would shock them! I’m trying to get different opinions to try to convince my partner we could be causing the stress. So. She said ask my forum! 🤗Thank you for your input! Much appreciated!

needshelpguy

needshelpguy

The sudden change may stress them a little but doesnt shock then into seed your problem is most likely genetic or related to environment eg temp humidity or the feeding schedule. I always run 24/7 in vege and wouldnt waste my time tapering off,

needshelpguy

needshelpguy

If you're getting seeds from a plant and then cloning them and putting them in the same environment its extremely likely they'll seed again

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Thank you for any help!
The sudden change is fine, we've been doing it since indoor Horticulture began and I've been doing it for a decade-and-a-half it will not cause your plant the type of stress that some are suggesting in this thread, so don't worry about it Mag, in fact many Growers put their plant in 24 hours of darkness before switching to 12/12 to speed up the onset of flowering, good luck! ..cute puppy! 😎👍

Edit: if you're having seeded buds tell us about the genetics your growing, and also have you searched for power on-off lights on any equipment that may be in the flower tent?

Last edited:
Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

My first question is if you are vegging under T5 then what light are you going up to for flower? What wattage is the T5? What wattage is your flowering light? Where is your seed stock from? Is it bag-seed or did you get the seeds from a trusted breeder and seed purveyor? What kind if seed problem are you having? Do you keep getting seeded plants or are the seeds you are using not finishing out properly? This may seem like a simple one, but have you culled any males that may have sprouted?

And while you are very much stuck on the lighting there are a lot of other factors that may be effecting your garden. Are you growing in soil or hydro? Are you providing nutrients? If so are you using dry amendments or bottled nutrients?

Ultimately you may have more factors at play here than just the lighting schedule.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Edit: if you're having seeded buds tell us about the genetics your growing, and also have you searched for power on-off lights on any equipment that may be in the flower tent?
Yes, those little LEDs that might be on your fans or heaters ... or just about anything electronic these days may be causing light leaks during dark cycle.

Cover those with electricians tape or duct tape.

Last edited:
Top Bottom