List of 10 biggest mistakes for newbies (...please)

• Thread starter Slo
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Slo

List of 10 biggest mistakes of/by newbies (...please)

Hey folks,
I am about to start my first indoor grow after growing outdoor for the past few years. Hoping that some exp. indoor growers will post their lists of top 10 things to watch out for or that could go wrong/mistakes that newbies make on their first grows!
Thanks to any replies!!!!!

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
1) asking questions that have long detailed answers instead of just doing a bit of reading

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
I was only being half sarcastic there

seriously the number one mistake newbs make is not buying a few books or just doing a ton of research before they go out and buy any equipment

many newbis just go to a forum and start asking a bunch of questions - many times the more experienced growers get frustrated with these types of questions avoid these threads at all cost (or drop in and talk some trash)

I read a few books before i went out and bought my first MH 400 watt light back in 84 - read a few more between then and now

still learning new stuff

seriously - acquaint yourself with the terms, different types of grows and the gear involved

S

Slo

I have done a lot of reading and worked for some indoor growers, but never had to deal with everything by myself.
I am just wondering what people remember running into despite all of the supposed learning, reading and precautions they took beforehand.
I appreciate your replies but I am just trying to cover all bases because I am an extremely anal person.
good times

OctoberDee

OctoberDee

Pick up a training method and use it, have a good lighting source with proper reflective reinforcement, plan ahead with a drawn diagram, use your space wisely, keep your area super clean and well ventilated, plan to have pests and learn how to resolve pest issues quickly, and learn how to quickly determine nutritional/ health issues your plants could be suffering from and how to fix them. Those are a few that stand out for me.
If you wanna check my little sh!t out:

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Trying to do too much before they know what they are doing. Because of that they hire "pros" to help them. Read before you try to grow. Don't hire an someone to help u while you are the money man or woman. The hired help just use you. IMO anybody who starts in hydro w/o some experience in soil is tough also.

green punk

green punk

Buying whatever the hydro shop sales people suggest. They will sell you everything in the shop if you let them.

S

smokealot

Pick up a training method and use it, have a good lighting source with proper reflective reinforcement, plan ahead with a drawn diagram, use your space wisely, keep your area super clean and well ventilated, plan to have pests and learn how to resolve pest issues quickly, and learn how to quickly determine nutritional/ health issues your plants could be suffering from and how to fix them. Those are a few that stand out for me.
If you wanna check my little sh!t out:

Thats about the best info your going get pay attion to detail wright evrything down duble cheak evry thing dont panic your going mess up frome time to time learn frome it read as many forms as u can that are close to what you are doing you be fine :pimp:

S

smokealot

Ps. Dot buy cheap test equipmnet it bight you in the end and use it daily

sedate

sedate

smokealot said:
Ps. Dot buy cheap test equipmnet it bight you in the end and use it daily

+1.

Your pH and TDS meters should be spendy - like >$100 or you aren't getting a quality unit.

K

kolah

With one successful small grow under my belt, here is my take (for what it's worth)

Keep it simple...and keep it clean.

I like prepping and investing in good soil (compost and/or good commerical organic stuff) popping down beans and just watering. Watch plants and add nutes as needed.

Cort

Cort

Showing your girls too much love. It's just a weed, it wants to grow. Stay out of their way and let them. Over feeding, over watering, over fucking with them in general.

Letting the girls get too big before flipping. You underestimate the powers of the stretch and it will mess you up.

CrippledArcher

CrippledArcher

Showing your girls too much love. It's just a weed, it wants to grow. Stay out of their way and let them. Over feeding, over watering, over fucking with them in general.

Letting the girls get too big before flipping. You underestimate the powers of the stretch and it will mess you up.

+1 on the Flip Size, we vegged ours to long now it's a jungle ! Got it under control, but holy shit the stretch can throw you a curve ball :banana1sv6:

dirtyglovedank

dirtyglovedank

reading books and more books and more thcfarmer reading and more thcfarmer.......
take notes other peoples mistakes and triumphs
you dont need 1/16 of the shit in a grow store
starting out small
600 watt 2-4 plants
k.i.s.s. keep it simple stupid
learn the plant first ,then try runs of stuff 1-2 strains not 12 diffrent types
heat is a major major issue a/c unit right off the bat
invest in good equipment lights ,meters, you get what you pay for, do research FIRST before you buy.
ALWAYS check clones ,quarintine them and de-bugg them even if you dont see anything.
read ! before you ask questions that have been answered a millon times
RULE 1 # never never ever tell anyone ,that dosent need to know... your growing
p.s
i hate wet weed dry your herb all the way

keep it green DGD
DGD

S

sk2004

Going with taking advice from people who don't grow. Just my limited experience so far

iscrog4food

iscrog4food

+1 for KISS. Overcomplexity leads to many problems. Also remember climate control is the single most important aspect of growing good herbs (given your strain is good). Many people get caught up in the feed but environment is key. Be patient, but diligent. Some say good things come to those who wait, in this game good things come to those who work. Dont buy clones period, start from seed, the extra time will be worth it to avoid STDs. I am taking this from someone else who said: "Dont feed them too much, dont feed them to little," Many first timers think they want to really push plants and end up with nute burn. Less is more. Also: "When in doubt, flush it out" most deficiencies are the result of too much nutes, if you see yellowing or deficiency flush first before listening on that voice saying "Bro it is N deficiency, you just need more nutes!". Lastly: Learn to automate once you got the basics down but not until then.

phenotyper

phenotyper

Keep it simple. Monitor PH. Respect the stretch.

I ran sour disel and trainwreck for my first grow many moons ago(3x stretchers), good lord did I learn a lot about canopy management after that experience.

Top Bottom