Little brown droplets on leaves - wtf?

• Thread starter Pistachiolightbulb
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Pistachiolightbulb

Pistachiolightbulb

So I've got this mother plant from a friend and the top leaves are turning tan and dying off. I figured that it's stress from transport, different nutrients or it's too big for the pot, but its still generally healthy.

I've just started to notice these brown blobs of liquid on the leaves, some healthy but mostly the top leaves and new growth. I'll admit that i have been treating the plants for fungus gnats with some peroxide in the soil, which is working great, and a few white flys have come in when i put in my window AC.

I don't even know if the brown drops are a problem, but i can't find any info about any pest/disease that is consistent with these random blobs. Only thing i could think of is like molasses heavy sap dripping down from the stems i cut to keep the mother small, but they are on the highest leaf on the plant so it can't be that. Anyone ever seen this before???
Little brown droplets on leaves   wtf
Little brown droplets on leaves   wtf 2

mancorn

mancorn

It’s look a little wet, but I’d guess it’s some sort of scale.

Pistachiolightbulb

Pistachiolightbulb

It’s look a little wet, but I’d guess it’s some sort of scale.
Yeah its like a hardened droplet, i scraped it off of the leaf with my fingernail and there was no damage of anything underneath. One leaf just has a splotch of it on the center vein so I'm pretty sure it was once a liquid. Only that one plant, unless someone did a spit take with Coca-Cola i am completely stumped.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
not sure about the droplets but i see leaf septoria and signs of overwatering maybe
can you take a couple pictures of the whole plant..

Pistachiolightbulb

Pistachiolightbulb

not sure about the droplets but i see leaf septoria and signs of overwatering maybe
can you take a couple pictures of the whole plant..
I should add that I'm growing in coco in Massachusetts, USA. I'm cleaning out the actual grow room to put these in there so the humidity is about 70% and 75° F, but after today it'll be all set with the environmental factors. And I've been ozoning the water in case of fusarium and altaria or whatever But here's pics
20210706 172111
20210706 172210
20210706 172249

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
She just looks a little neglected to me tbh. I get it, plants get put to the side, especially mothers.

I would cut all that crap off of there. I'm thinking it might be some hardened juice from cutting starts off the plant, and it was dripping sap down onto lower leaves, that's my guess. Could also be fungal, but it doesn't really look right to me, certainly could be some fungal components to it, if it's been sitting awhile.

I would pull that plant apart, and clean out the center a bit. Clean her up and make her look presentable, so she can get a bit of light though her canopy, realize some new growth. She looks kinda idle TBH, I don't see any new shoots. New growth is always a good thing for a plant, IMO. I also would consider possibly up potting a tiny bit, but probably not necessary. Once you cut it back some, she should recoup well enough.

Speculation: My guess is that it's sap, (turned brown) from past cuttings....

Last edited:
Pistachiolightbulb

Pistachiolightbulb

She just looks a little neglected to me tbh. I get it, plants get put to the side, especially mothers.

I would cut all that crap off of there. I'm thinking it might be some hardened juice from cutting starts off the plant, and it was dripping sap down onto lower leaves, that's my guess. Could also be fungal, but it doesn't really look right to me, certainly could be some fungal components to it, if it's been sitting awhile.

I would pull that plant apart, and clean out the center a bit. Clean her up and make her look presentable, so she can get a bit of light though her canopy, realize some new growth. She looks kinda idle TBH, I don't see any new shoots. New growth is always a good thing for a plant, IMO. I also would consider possibly up potting a tiny bit, but probably not necessary. Once you cut it back some, she should recoup well enough.

Speculation: My guess is that it's sap, (turned brown) from past cuttings....
Yeah, i cut off a good amount of the new growth that was dying, so there probably was a fresh cut stem above the top where i found the blobs. Always better to check if its something serious than be sorry.

Ya though, she's just been transplanted to a 2 gallon and I'm gonna cut off anything ugly and take some clones. I'll get her in the grow room and give her some nice microbial tea and she'll be right as rain.

Thanks y'all for the quick responses. Now this will be here for the next panicked rube to google lol

mancorn

mancorn

If the “drips” are hard it’s most likely a scale insect. They’re weird bugs, but not a big deal as long as you don’t let them get out of hand - scrap them off and wipe down the leaves.

9725BD3D F4FF 4F5E BDC8 78446ECB9BBE

Pistachiolightbulb

Pistachiolightbulb

Okay ya, that's pretty likely what it is, whatever they are I'm gonna wipe em off and spray a little something on them because of the white flies anyways

Latest posts

Top Bottom