Little spiders on my plants

• Thread starter CannaKelly
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

CannaKelly

I have just noticed that there are microscopic neutral colored spiders and webs all over my plants and even the flo. lights. I looked up spider mites but those appear to be red, mine are not at all red and there are no spots under the leaves. What do I have and how do I get rid of them, hundreds of them?

A

amstercal

It sounds like spider mites to me. The "spots" they leave are white ones on top of the leaf. Underneath is where they hang out so if someone doesn't look close it looks like spots, but it's just the mites. I've never had red mites. I usually see brownish, but I imagine the color varies by geography a little at least. If you have webs, I would say it's very safe to treat for spider mites. I use Safers.

P

paulycali

I ran a hydro setup years ago and came across what i believe was spider mites that only lived in the root system and never came more than an inch or two up the stalk. They were red and maybe some sort of preditorial mite. It was kinda weird. And when i flooded the tray they all came up and stayed on the cubes or tray and the lower part of the stem. It was like they never wanted any green matter meaning leaves they wanted to live somewhere dark and i guess eat at the roots. My plants didnt seem like they were affected by them at all. Yours are microscopic so they might just be babies right now and will change color as they age. Get something that kills bugs not your plants and spray away. I wish you luck and hope there not detremental to your plants

squarepusher

squarepusher

spider mites. ur sure your plants dont have any spots?

no-pest strips will solve the problem

C

culdaria

Shit man!! I'm scared as hell now, reading all this mite stuff. What can I do in way of treatment that will prevent infestation before it happens. My garden is doing great, in beginning of 5th week of veg, soon I'm going to flip the switch. Talk to me, I like the idea of preventative not reactive....

stickyicky

stickyicky

Shit man!! I'm scared as hell now, reading all this mite stuff. What can I do in way of treatment that will prevent infestation before it happens. My garden is doing great, in beginning of 5th week of veg, soon I'm going to flip the switch. Talk to me, I like the idea of preventative not reactive....

Don't let it get to the point of webs and all that. Spots on top of leaves are tell tale sign. I usually pull any leaves w/ spots.

I dip clones in safe's miticide, insecticide, fungicide before entering my sanctum.

It is possible to grow w/out getting these. In 14 runs I've had it once. I'm anal though. I look real close.

G

Gro

keep your shit,......i mean all your shit clean!!!:character0050:

C

culdaria

keep your shit,......i mean all your shit clean!!!:character0050:
I' ve got my grow room clean as a whistle, I clean the floor with a disinfectent and everything else that go's in there. Hopefully all will be well, hate to have all my work go to hell. I want to grow my herb not mites!!!

A

amstercal

Change shoes and even clothes if you've been outside and check your plants, a lot. I would definitely fix your pest problem before you flip the lights. In my experience blooming plants are much more of a pain to rid pests from than vegging ones!

L

Lost

If your in SoCal, we are fortunate enough to somehow breed the unkillable spidermite. They hibernate for no reason at all so it takes weeks of treatments and miltiple methods to kill. A certain percentage will not be killed by whatever you use, they really are the borg. You just need to keep a continous cycle of knocking them down...

C

cain23456

spider mites. ur sure your plants dont have any spots?

no-pest strips will solve the problem

You ain't ever lied!!! Those things are amazing. Within 48 hrs I couldn't find a single living spidermite.

C

crippled1

You have got to inspect on a daily basis. If you want to act preventatively for any rootzone pests, you can apply some Pyganic EC 5.0 on a weekly basis. It will handle any pest.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
If your in SoCal, we are fortunate enough to somehow breed the unkillable spidermite. They hibernate for no reason at all so it takes weeks of treatments and miltiple methods to kill. A certain percentage will not be killed by whatever you use, they really are the borg. You just need to keep a continous cycle of knocking them down...
It's not just SoCal, Lost, it's all of California. And not just resistant mites, either. Resistant fungus gnats and diseases as well. Like Septoria.

I'd rather deal with any of those than mosaic virus, though, simply because not only is there no treatment (just reducing spread), but if you try to make seeds it will be passed through those, just forget about clones.

Are there any threads on quarantine procedures here?

There is a proper QT protocol for public aquariums and it begins with observation in a quarantined area (no cross contamination by people, and for certain animals other additional measures are taken) and the specimen must go 30 days disease-free before it's placed into display. This goes for everything, and I wouldn't be surprised if all zoos use such a method as well.

I think it should also be noted specifically about spider mites that they can be carried on clothing (as amstercal has alluded). The only infestation I have had to date was caused by bringing my son into my grow areas.

BakedasBeans

BakedasBeans

Theres a spray that some of my friends have used in california, Its called SNS 217 and is made of a rosemary extract so its organic. Its made by sierra natural science. It works by disrupting the cell structure and the permiability of its membranes, so the contents of the cell leak out through the membrane. It coats eggs as well with an oily shield the messes with the resperation of the egg so they dont even get a chance to hatch. Their website has a bunch of info on it. Everyone ive heard of thats used says its amazing especially with spider mites. If you can get your hands on some of this it might be worth a try. If anyone in this thread has used it I would be interested in you opinions with this as well.

2broke2smoke

2broke2smoke

if u want to eradicate mites Forbid 4F is the ultimate miticide. You don't have to spray every mite, it kills all stages of mites life cycle from egg to adult and has 60 day residual also has translaminar action which means u dont have to spray both sides. spray once mites gone for good.

2b2s

monkeybone

monkeybone

Bonez
Supporter

I second and third this motion:

The motion is carried.

If you want to keep mothers of a spidermite infected strain:
* Go out and invest in some floramite spray them at least once a week in the veg 2ml-3ml per gallon. If you want to nuke the eggs, mix in a treatment of AVID (only on the veg) You can get small bottles of both on fleabay or at your hydro store, worth every penny and more.

* Or you could just knock them back with a Pyrethrum soap and just finish flowering that cycle off. Then after harvest do a total kill for two weeks making sure everything is sterile and start over with seedlings.

Lots of good advice for a next to impossible to kill pest.

Good luck

Top Bottom