Little white bugs running around the top layer of my coco.

• Thread starter DoobieBro462
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DoobieBro462

DoobieBro462

I have 4 plants growing in Canna Coco. Plants are 35 days old and stunted. Temperature has been 70-77 Rh 50-60.
HLG 600r on 18/6 4x4 tent .
DynaGro Nutrients feeding by hand. 3 Gallon pots. Today when I fed the plants I noticed a lot of really really small white/clear bugs running around the top layer of my coco.
As I poured the feed they would run to top of the soil then quickly go back down under the top layer of coco. They are really fast very hard to see. I tried to get a shot on my phone but I can't get a shot with my shaky hands. I am pretty sure they are root aphids. How do I treat them? You can see some canoeing on the leaves. I didn't see anything on the leaves when I checked with a loupe. They definitely are not springtails I know what they look like.
What would be a good solution? I have hydrogen peroxide that is it ATM. I can order something if anyone has any suggestions.
Little white bugs running around the top layer of my coco
Little white bugs running around the top layer of my coco 2
Little white bugs running around the top layer of my coco 3
Little white bugs running around the top layer of my coco 4

Last edited:
GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
I have 4 plants growing in Canna Coco. Plants are 35 days old and stunted. Temperature has been 70-77 Rh 50-60.
HLG 600r on 18/6 4x4 tent .
DynaGro Nutrients feeding by hand. 3 Gallon pots. Today when I fed the plants I noticed a lot of really really small white/clear bugs running around the top layer of my coco.
As I poured the feed they would run to top of the soil then quickly go back down under the top layer of coco. They are really fast very hard to see. I tried to get a shot on my phone but I can't get a shot with my shaky hands. I am pretty sure they are root aphids. How do I treat them? You can see some canoeing on the leaves. I didn't see anything on the leaves when I checked with a loupe. They definitely are not springtails I know what they look like.
What would be a good solution? I have hydrogen peroxide that is it ATM. I can order something if anyone has any suggestions.
View attachment 1329763View attachment 1329764View attachment 1329765View attachment 1329766
someone with pest experience will chime in..
looks like you’ve had it a while, plants are stressed..

S

Skunk_dog

Lookup Springtails and compare if that is what you are seeing.. Highly likely the culprit, more likely in a peat mix, but I don't know your environment.. mostly they are scavengers feeding on organics, dead material in the soil and beneficial unless its an overrun infestation. They thrive in an overwatering situation too.

DoobieBro462

DoobieBro462

Lookup Springtails and compare if that is what you are seeing.. Highly likely the culprit, more likely in a peat mix, but I don't know your environment.. mostly they are scavengers feeding on organics, dead material in the soil and beneficial unless its an overrun infestation. They thrive in an overwatering situation too.
Yup I over watered at first. I don't understand how they got inside my tent. Now I have to disinfectant the whole damn tent and room the tent is in. Unless the eggs were in my coco.

DoobieBro462

DoobieBro462

Update.
I just confirmed what I am seeing is springtails. So now I need to figure out what's causing the canoeing on that plant.
On a good note they smell amazing which is making it hard to start over.

S

Skunk_dog

Light intensity, low humidity...
then Over/Under watering
then Ph rootzone...
I see tip burn, likely pointing indicating hot feed a bit too early.

Adjust one thing at a time, start with backing the Juice down a couple clicks on the lights for a cycle and see if you get a positive response.

DoobieBro462

DoobieBro462

Light intensity, low humidity...
then Over/Under watering
then Ph rootzone...
I see tip burn, likely pointing indicating hot feed a bit too early.

Adjust one thing at a time, start with backing the Juice down a couple clicks on the lights for a cycle and see if you get a positive response.
Yea I went by the wrong nutrient schedule. DynaGro changed the schedule and went from 300 ppm to 600 ppm at the same stage. I guess they want people to buy more smh.

View attachment DG_feedchart.pdf
Anthem

Anthem

Capt Jacks Dead Bug in concentrate...

Lowes/Ace/Depot carry it by me.
This has the correct product in it to kill many different bugs. The instructed concentration I believe is low, I purchased the spray for thrips and it will knock down the population but they will spring back. If you get the concentrate take a look at concentration levels of diluted active ingredient verses the pre diluted spray. You can easily increase the strength by 4 times over what the spray is listed as having. That should probably take care of them.

DoobieBro462

DoobieBro462

This has the correct product in it to kill many different bugs. The instructed concentration I believe is low, I purchased the spray for thrips and it will knock down the population but they will spring back. If you get the concentrate take a look at concentration levels of diluted active ingredient verses the pre diluted spray. You can easily increase the strength by 4 times over what the spray is listed as having. That should probably take care of them.
Thanks my friend.

DoobieBro462

DoobieBro462

@Anthem is it smart to put a layer of DE on top of my coco?

Anthem

Anthem

@Anthem is it smart to put a layer of DE on top of my coco?
I would not recommend it. While it does a good job of cutting down the population by cutting the bugs as they move thru it. It is messy on the top of the pot when you water. I did not see where springtails are specifically mentioned in the instructions for Captian Jacks dead bug. Seven is listed as killing them off. Seven looks to be available at HD. Get the concentrated product and double the amount listed.

DoobieBro462

DoobieBro462

I would not recommend it. While it does a good job of cutting down the population by cutting the bugs as they move thru it. It is messy on the top of the pot when you water. I did not see where springtails are specifically mentioned in the instructions for Captian Jacks dead bug. Seven is listed as killing them off. Seven looks to be available at HD. Get the concentrated product and double the amount listed.
Yea I just noticed that Seven states that it kills springtails. And it's cheaper. Thanks for your help 😃

DoobieBro462

DoobieBro462

Can I use h2o2 to sterilize my coco while my plants are growing? Will it mess with the plants in any negative way?

DoobieBro462

DoobieBro462

After further digging on the web I found out that h2o2 is not good for coco. It will kill all the bennies.
How can I get rid of algae growing on the perlite on the top layer? I over watered there should not be algae this early. Any suggestions would be appreciated ty.
I ordered Sevin dust granules for the springtails they will be here tomorrow.

Anthem

Anthem

After further digging on the web I found out that h2o2 is not good for coco. It will kill all the bennies.
How can I get rid of algae growing on the perlite on the top layer? I over watered there should not be algae this early. Any suggestions would be appreciated ty.
Do not worry about it

Latest posts

Top Bottom