Little Worms On Stem End Of Cutting?

• Thread starter greenthumb89
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
greenthumb89

greenthumb89

Hello,
I made a post in the past detailing a little bit of troubles with some 14 cuttings I took that were taking awhile to root, I believe I'm on day 12 maybe 13 and so far out of the 14 I have 3 that have what looks to be roots poking out, they started as bumps and I noticed today little white poking out. I know it probably wasn't good to pull it out of the jiffy pellet exposing it to the light and air but if it dies it dies I can always make more. ( Would pulling it out of the jiffy pellet be REALLY bad? I just figured how aeroponics the roots are exposed for some time when you transplant , I can see pulling it out of the jiffy pellet when the roots are actually coming out as they'd be delicate and could break off? ) But on one of the cuttings I gently gently scored the sides of the stem before dipping it in rooting hormone, I've heard it sometime helps? I only did it to three just to test out but I noticed a very very small almost clear looking worm wiggling around in the stem. I've grown fond of my cuttings as my babies and was slightly repulsed by the worm on my cutting I'm assuming it's starting to rot and it's eating my cutting? and do you figure it probably came from the jiffy pellet originaly like in production? I'd add a pic but the worm is so small you couldn't see it if I did.

greenthumb89

greenthumb89

after looking at some pictures and researching a little on the internet I' think the culprit is fungus gnats apparently their sometimes in peat moss? Anyone had problems with these little cock munchers before and should I remve that single pellet from the rest or am I probably infested by now

D

DANKSY

Premium Member
Supporter
Could also be root aphids... Hopefully it's fungus gnats tho

shemshemet

shemshemet

Sea-

Have you tried Bti?? "mosquito dunks"?

They've worked for me.

Break up and sprinkle a small piece per pot (about the size of a pencil eraser). Water it in and wait!

H

happy b

Thats fungus gnat larvea.im currently in the process of getting some nematodes to see to the little fucks.theyr not too bad to a full grown plant but they can kill cuttings and seedlings.
and dont pull cuts out of theyr cubes youl only disturb the roots it does have.and rooting in plugs is different to aeropinics but both require patience as does the whole process of growing good weed.
it is possible it came from the jiffy plug.try root riot plugs theyr great and gauranteed to have no buga whatsoever.

NaturalTherapy

NaturalTherapy

Lighthouse
Supporter
The combination of gnatrol, sand over the top on the soil and these traps have effectively removed fungus gnats from my grow

ShroomKing

ShroomKing

Best of luck. Peace
I have totally eliminated FGs from my garden by:
Pouring boiling water through new bags of soil.
Using gnat blocking materials to protect my soil. i.e. smartpots topped with weed block landscape fabric.
Topping my pots with gnatgnix mixed 10 : 1 with diamataceous earth. (On top of landscape fabric)

The gnatgnix and landscape fabric are reusable a few times. This costs a fraction of what other methods cost.
No spraying, no worrying, no bugs.
Just a few added steps to your routine.

PM me for details.
Best of luck.
Peace

NaturalTherapy

NaturalTherapy

Lighthouse
Supporter
Natural could you please post a pic of the gnatrol please?i was trying to get some but it looked like there was different ones.thanks buddy.

Grabbed this little container from an eBay distributor, rather than spend the 500 some dollars on the bulk bucket available in local grow stores

H

happy b

View attachment 521737
Grabbed this little container from an eBay distributor, rather than spend the 500 some dollars on the bulk bucket available in local grow stores
Thanks NT.do you know the name of the company that makes it?
I have totally eliminated FGs from my garden by:
Pouring boiling water through new bags of soil.
Using gnat blocking materials to protect my soil. i.e. smartpots topped with weed block landscape fabric.
Topping my pots with gnatgnix mixed 10 : 1 with diamataceous earth. (On top of landscape fabric)

The gnatgnix and landscape fabric are reusable a few times. This costs a fraction of what other methods cost.
No spraying, no worrying, no bugs.
Just a few added steps to your routine.

PM me for details.
Best of luck.
Peace
Thanks SK i will hit you up once i have them under control somewhat.

420circuit

420circuit

The Gnatrol found on EBay, yellow sticky cards, sand and DE combo worked for me. I prefer using a homemade cloner instead of the cubes, found great directions to build one on StinkBuds site. My cloner gets fresh water ever couple weeks and I found plain tap water works as well as Clonex, about 8 days to root a cutting. Using this for soil and hydro.

shemshemet

shemshemet

What is Gnatrol/mosquito dunks/Bti?

IPM Program for Fungus Gnats:

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7448.html

Household Potted Plant Fungus Gnat Guide:

Some good information here, for those who wish to read up on the behind the scenes information.

Pro Tip: Learning about the patterns of pest control, the fungus gnat, its life cycle, and its control, will help you determine how to go about controlling future pests :)

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I've been using UCDavis's IPM methods.
Sea-

Have you tried Bti?? "mosquito dunks"?

They've worked for me.

Break up and sprinkle a small piece per pot (about the size of a pencil eraser). Water it in and wait!
Yep, been there, done that, can tell you it's entirely ineffective for me. I've actually lost track of what I've tried, it's easier to discuss what I haven't tried. Gnatnix is it.

I don't trust the eBay Gnatrol I got last year, it was entirely ineffective. The Gnatrol WDG I got from Amazon works far better, but I can only get somewhat of a handle on them, I have not yet been able to eliminate them. They are, quite literally, everywhere.

The only scenario where they don't occur, for me, is when growing in pure perlite. I don't understand why that is, but it is my observation.

Latest posts

Top Bottom