Live Rosin Questions

• Thread starter dab science
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

dab science

Ok so I tried pressing kief made from live trim that I froze and that worked great I believe they call that frozin but Ive been having issues press ing live nugs it seems to gush out alot of liquid that I think may just be water i steam bathed it and it left me with nothining basicly and I was wondering if anyone has any tips on this live bud pressing like should I freeze the nugs first or dry it a different way any help would be super appreciated

REDiJEDi160

REDiJEDi160

I have not done the rosin method effort but I would venture to assume that even freezing the nugs before pressing would not work well either because of the water content but maybe freeze them then do a dry ice extraction as the primary and use that for your press. Hold it helps and works please post pics

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

I tried fresh frozen trim, dry ice extracted and epically failed. Too much moisture. I've pressed cured buds with excellent results. Same with dried trim, dry ice extracted.

D

dab science

I have not done the rosin method effort but I would venture to assume that even freezing the nugs before pressing would not work well either because of the water content but maybe freeze them then do a dry ice extraction as the primary and use that for your press. Hold it helps and works please post pics
I tried freezeing the freshcut buds first and had the same poor results

D

dab science

it tried fresh frozen trim, dry ice extracted and epically failed. Too much moisture. I've pressed cured buds with excellent results. Same with dried trim, dry ice extracted.
I tried fresh frozen trim that I dryice extracted at 180 micron and I had fairly good results the rosin came out a golden green color I did however leave the kief alone in a sealed container for 3 or 4 days before pressing as I dident have my press running cuz the mail was being lame that week lol

D

dab science

Soon I will try bud that i hang dry at different times in the cureing process ill try day 1-7 and ill take pics of what I find so you guys can see ...... also I have heard that you can get a good amber color from your kief if it is at a finer micron ive heard 73 micron is money no mater what strain that you use but some strains will give amber color as high as 120 micron

D

dab science

So im guessing that some live stuff is slightly cured not super fresh like I heard? Also I pressed some nugs that were cured a week in and at a 71 degrees Celsius and it came out creamy amber color and the next day it seemed more creamy than the day I pressed it

D

dab science

Heres the 180 micron live frozen trim dry iced to kief then pressed at 98 degrees celsius looks great compared to cured trim at the same micron

20161026 132052
D

dab science

Im guessing theres a sweet spot in the cure where the moisture content is low and the cure hasent forced the bud to lose to many terps to the cureing process

D

dab science

Im also going to try to dryice the fresh buds then press that kief

NugMountain

NugMountain

I tried fresh frozen trim, dry ice extracted and epically failed. Too much moisture. I've pressed cured buds with excellent results. Same with dried trim, dry ice extracted.
What temp do u press your cured nug @.? Do u break it up first? Thnx

Bulldog420

Bulldog420

Premium Member
Supporter
Can't do fresh nugs, it's live "resin" not "rosin". Rosin can't be made that way.

The best time to squish a flower is when the stem still bends, but almost wants to snap. If you normally do a 14 day dry, then around 10 days is best IME. Got a couple lbs of material I dried 4 days ago, bucked down smalls on a dry rack. I will let you guys know how it goes. This will be my emerald cup entry.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

I've done 5 week cured buds on my chaos strain.

Result was superb.

Bulldog420

Bulldog420

Premium Member
Supporter
Anything pressed within 3 months should still yield a nice product. Anything after that, or improper storage, will leave a darker color.

D

dab science

That is some gorilla glue smalls trimmed up and pressed at 93 Celsius the stems bended but almost snapped I have also tried pressing smalls that are not trimmed and dont seem to notice a difference in color or taste so I will not be trimming smalls to press ever again

NugMountain

NugMountain

I bubble hashed some year old trim, pressed at 180 and it came out blonde:) but I also store my flower and trim in a root cellar. Best way to store imo...te
Ok now I'm motivated. I need to fill the tire on my tractor to move the tractor to jump start my bus where my Roz lab is to control atmosphere and run my kief tumbler and inverter that powers my heat plates....gota go to town in a couple hours too....hopefully by tnite I'm pressing and posting pics

I got a bunch of cherry pie x gsc ( we call it phantom gsc, but others got different names) smalls I want to press as well... Going to try the str8 nug style u guys r talkn about, thnx

souf69

souf69

Trying to make rosin with fresh buds, frozen or not will not work to well. Theres to much water still in the product. Maybe if you could speed up the drying cycle somehow with nitrogen it could work, but most likely still have issues. As far as temps and pressure, keep this in mind. More pressure needs less heat, or you will scorch your product. If you dont have enough pressure well that means you need more heat, however higher heat can lead to scorching of your product. Anything you see that has a dark resemblence is most likely scorched and probably has a scorched after taste. Anything above 200 and more press time is risky. My press is capable of pressing 12 tons consistantly, and i notice flowers press best at 7 to 9 tons. Also my temps are spot on. I press at 176 degrees, just above most terps boiling points.

Top Bottom