Living soil any help would be appreciated thanks

• Thread starter marco12345
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

marco12345

Do you have questions?

Your plants look healthy. What are you using for your soil mixture and nutrients?
Yh they look dropy to me and living soil with water so just wondering what issues could be causing this light green dropy look

dreamnfox

dreamnfox

Looks like multiple issues, i would check soil ph first. Till its figured out, raise/dim the light. Also foliar with epsom salt. Tbps per gallon. Is this your first run with living soil?

M

marco12345

Yes first run with livimg soil so I know there is an issue somewhere could be it pot as too small and need repotting

M

marco12345

How would the issue be fixed with pH in soil if it water only feeding thanks

M

marco12345

Looks like multiple issues, i would check soil ph first. Till its figured out, raise/dim the light. Also foliar with epsom salt. Tbps per gallon. Is this your first run with living soil?
Could it be the pot size and running out of power and how would u fix the pH in soil as its only water for feeding thanks

M

marco12345

Could it be the pot size and running out of power and how would u fix the pH in soil as its only water for feeding thanks
Yes first run with livimg soil and just confused how dry do u go before feeding so this could of caused this issue

dreamnfox

dreamnfox

Living soil is pretty tricky. Do you have a way to check ph? If the pots are more then 5 gallons, then you are fine. Is this just store bought soil? Have you added any amendments? Most "water only" soil only has 30-60days of food.
Tell me more about soil type, and how often you water

M

marco12345

Living soil is pretty tricky. Do you have a way to check ph? If the pots are more then 5 gallons, then you are fine. Is this just store bought soil? Have you added any amendments? Most "water only" soil only has 30-60days of food.
Tell me more about soil type, and how often you water
My pots are only 1 gallon at min due to sexing my plants and I'm watering when my moisture meter says moist so moist to wet so my soil is about 40 days old at the min so I'm watering every 4 days depending on what my meters say and it's echo soil brought from store which say admendments should be add early flower which is way off at the min as there only 6 weeks from seed

M

marco12345

I was feeding from moist to wet and now stopped and doin moist to dry I was just wondering how dry to they need to be and could it be an over watering problem

dreamnfox

dreamnfox

1 gallon is way to small for living soil. Some plants will show sex before you transition to flower, but not always. Is this your first grow? Living soil is one of the harder growing methods. You will need some kind of food for these. I would up pot to at least 5 gallon pots. Then look into gaias green, they are a dry amendment mix. If you search it on here you will get some great info.

M

marco12345

1 gallon is way to small for living soil. Some plants will show sex before you transition to flower, but not always. Is this your first grow? Living soil is one of the harder growing methods. You will need some kind of food for these. I would up pot to at least 5 gallon pots. Then look into gaias green, they are a dry amendment mix. If you search it on here you will get some great info.
No not my first I've done coco before so I thought it might be the feed which I have and pit size is too small I guessed that was the case thank you for your help much appreciated

N

Natep

I plant straight into my beds. I believe your pots are to small.
Yes first run with livimg soil and just confused how dry do u go before feeding so this could of caused this issue
Don’t let it go dry. If you are unsure on your watering? I would look into a ecowit moisture sensor. Try and keep the soil at 35%. Have you brought your soil to life? Are you using IMO? Living soil should be way easier than anything else. Ph should not be a concern if your soil is doing it’s job

M

marco12345

I plant straight into my beds. I believe your pots are to small.

Don’t let it go dry. If you are unsure on your watering? I would look into a ecowit moisture sensor. Try and keep the soil at 35%. Have you brought your soil to life? Are you using IMO? Living soil should be way easier than anything else. Ph should not be a concern if your soil is doing it’s job
So always keep soil moist I do have the blumat sensor for my 30 gallon pot but at min using a moisture stick as I have regular seeds and I was hopefully sexing before transplant and I'm in soil for life with cover crop and worms and feeding microbes once a week and ammendment late veg early flower is the plan would u say transplant to my 30 gallons now would solve this ?

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
I grow organically and haven't checked pH in a long time. Usually, there's no need.

I disagree about keeping the soil moist. It will naturally be wetter at the bottom than it is at the top. (Research "perched water table.") Let the soil dry down to about an inch from the bottom. Check it with a soil moisture probe. The plants do better with wet and dry cycles. It's surprising how dry the soil can be while the plants still look good.

I see some Mg deficiency. Epsom salt will help with that. I agree that they need to be in bigger pots. 5-gallon fabric would be excellent.

What I might do is water immediately with one tablespoon per gallon of Epsom salt. Then, I'd clean the top of the soil and transplant them. After the plants have had a few days to adjust to the transplant, I would top dress with 1 to 2 tablespoons of Gaia Green All Purpose per gallon of soil, 1 tbsp of Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate), 1 tbsp of gypsum (calcium sulfate) and 2 tbsp of Azomite or rock dust. I mix all of that in a jar with some soil and shake it well before spreading on top of the soil. Then I water it in. As the plants grow, increase the GGAP till it's time to transition to flowering. Then start using GG Power Bloom. Add nutrients every 3 or 4 weeks.

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

Hello Marco.
Yes buy all means transplant into 30 gallon pots asap.
Make sure you do this.
Alfalfa
Alfalfa Tea
Bloom fertilizer

Garden Like a Viking

Do you make your own microbe solution?
Wood ash mineral solution?
What are you feeding your soil?

M

marco12345

Hello Marco.
Yes buy all means transplant into 30 gallon pots asap.
Make sure you do this.
Alfalfa
Alfalfa Tea
Bloom fertilizer

Garden Like a Viking

Do you make your own microbe solution?
Wood ash mineral solution?
What are you feeding your soil?
Thank you I will do

M

marco12345

I grow organically and haven't checked pH in a long time. Usually, there's no need.

I disagree about keeping the soil moist. It will naturally be wetter at the bottom than it is at the top. (Research "perched water table.") Let the soil dry down to about an inch from the bottom. Check it with a soil moisture probe. The plants do better with wet and dry cycles. It's surprising how dry the soil can be while the plants still look good.

I see some Mg deficiency. Epsom salt will help with that. I agree that they need to be in bigger pots. 5-gallon fabric would be excellent.

What I might do is water immediately with one tablespoon per gallon of Epsom salt. Then, I'd clean the top of the soil and transplant them. After the plants have had a few days to adjust to the transplant, I would top dress with 1 to 2 tablespoons of Gaia Green All Purpose per gallon of soil, 1 tbsp of Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate), 1 tbsp rof gypsum (calcium sulfate) and 2 tbsp of Azomite or rock dust. I mix all of that in a jar with some soil and shake it well before spreading on top of the soil. Then I water it in. As the plants grow, increase the GGAP till it's time to transition to flowering. Then start using GG Power Bloom. Add nutrients every 3 or 4 weeks.
Thanks for your help its really helped me out goin forward

royfree2grow

royfree2grow

Definitely Mg def and additional issues.
listen to the exp growers and spray with Mgso- because Mg isnt transported easily through the plant, spraying will give you a quick fix. I'd use 1 gram per liter.

It seems that your soil doesnt have enough nutrients to feed the plants and that the remaining nutrients in your soild arn't being transported to the roots due to lack of microbial presence especially at this stage of growth.

Id water with a quality ACT to enhance the microbial presence in the medium, after that I'd feed the soil with a wide range macro/micro nutrient which will be better mineralized and transported by the microbs in the soil.

Rock dust will do nothing immediate as it usually takes time to be break down in the soil, more so if your mix isnt being abundant with active micro life.

Do not keep it moist, for living soil follow a dry/wet cycle only.

To be more accurate on whats going on in the root zone, do a slurry test for ph.

Last edited:
Top Bottom