Loading Methods

• Thread starter MtGrownCanna
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MtGrownCanna

MtGrownCanna

Morning growers. I've been reading over all these threads trying to pick up anything and everything before my first coco run, this New Year. One common theme I come across is preloading coco with Calmg. As you all know, there are several Calmg products, coco coirs, and nut's to choose from......... and different combinations of the three will require slightly different techniques. For instance, I'm using Canna products because Canna claims there is no need for preloading. Should all coco be preloaded or is it just as easy to add Calmg in the feeding schedule? How does one know the right amount of Calmg has been preloaded? Are there other micro nut's coco locks onto? Thanks for your help. :)

MGC

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I can't say whether or not all coir should be pre-charged regardless of whether or not it's been done by the manufacturer, I just know that it must be pre-charged or you'll be chasing your tail trying to give it via feeds.

I use Botanicare 5kg bricks, I use the equivalent 20mls/gal of a Cal-Mag product. I don't use combination Ca-Mg products, I have separated them out.

Ca and Mg are the minerals coir locks onto, K is in excess.

1ostbo1z

i suggest you dont and just run calmag in your res but if there signs of cal mag def (usually mag) foiliar feed with calmag half strength, hoods up higher and fans on high.

but then again if you have had calmag problems in the past then like seamaiden said.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Why not Cal-Mag? The ratio's wrong, wrong wrong wrong. Once I began separating Ca from Mg, I saw, for example, that The White isn't a 'Cal-Mag whore' as she's been labeled for so many years, she needs CALCIUM, lots of it, lots more than Mg, like a ratio closer to 6:1 Ca:Mg, instead of the typical 3:1 we see in so many products (can't remember Botanicare's ratios). Push the ratio of Ca:Mg up, and no more chasing of the tail trying to correct an immobile nutrient problem that, once noted 3-4 weeks in, is too far along to really correct before harvest.

My method of precharging has been to make a mild vegging solution, lower in K, using liquid guanos that smell like gack (seriously, horrid stuff) and teas/extracts. Since I use organics, I can't really measure EC accurately. It's been a while since I've charged a batch of coir, but if you go with any vegging feed at about... say 250-350ppm (what's that, around... .3-.5 EC? @.5 conversion?), and then on top of that add the Ca and Mg (ratio of 6:1, using 20-30mls/gal of combination product won't be too much, and adding more Ca to that could be helpful) you'd be hitting pretty close to what I was doing. Super easy would be to mix up some PBP (or similar, I don't think it really matters all that much) along with the Cal-Mag, assuming you have a mixed product, get the vegging to that 250ppm range and then add in the Cal-Mag at about 20mls/gal, I think you'd be doing alright.

This is specifically for coir that needs to be charged. Again, if you're going with a brand like Canna that doesn't require charging, then you should be ok skipping this step. However, I REALLY encourage people to find and use a Ca-only product in conjunction with either Epsom salt (MgSO4, just had to argue this one w/my doc the other day) or a Mg-only product, I think you'll find that it's better overall. Unless someone's put out a Cal-Mag product that's got about a 6:1 ratio, like I was discussing before.

And as noted, Ca and Mg can indeed be given via foliar feeds. I find it's fine to correct a Mg- this way, it's easy, but if I've gotten to the point of having to deal with a Ca- this way then it's too far along.

1ostbo1z

Ca is a deficiency that i dont come across much
here's a good way to find out if your plants have good ratio of Ca
cut off a branch n look inside, if it's hollow then u need to introduce more Ca
just like us humans we need calcium for stronger bone and structure
our beloved plants do also.

note that every strain differs from one another

budm

budm

cut off a branch n look inside, if it's hollow then u need to introduce more Ca

First I've heard of this, but have noticed that girls that I've grown in RDWC have almost always had hollow stems. I just attributed it to fast growth and the plant using a hollow stem, like a straw, to allow quicker transport of water/nutes. Maybe I've been wrong all this time...

ttystikk

ttystikk

@Seamaiden or anyone, I've been trying to remove the Botanicare cal-mag from my regimen for awhile, but I keep running afoul of calcium deficiencies when I use straight calcium nitrate. Is there an equivalency or conversion somewhere that would tell me the amount of ca-ni per ml of liquid cal-mag? Is this the wrong approach and if so, why?

I run the 3-2-1 Jacks formula in RDWC and it seems insane to be adding calcium and magnesium twice...

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
What percentage CaNO3 are you using, tty? This is where I was really diggin' the BioLink 6%, though derived from CaCO3, I never had a problem. I can't speak to conversions, only the ratio that I found best for my coir grows.

1ostbo1z

First I've heard of this, but have noticed that girls that I've grown in RDWC have almost always had hollow stems. I just attributed it to fast growth and the plant using a hollow stem, like a straw, to allow quicker transport of water/nutes. Maybe I've been wrong all this time...

it could also be used for that reason as well. maybe one of the smarter growers might know

Top Bottom