Local Potting Soil Analysis

• Thread starter dorjewright
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
jansjukebox

jansjukebox

I won't open your link. But If you'd like to post a picture or a description, I'd be glad to give you an opinion.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Hoo boy... ok, well, I'm still getting my head wrapped around ALL the different types and styles of reports. This one, to my eyes, seems incomplete, but that's my organic head talking. I personally wouldn't be diggin' this dirt, and here's why.

High EC and sodium content in combination with piss poor N content. The K being that high can possibly lock out a LOT of other stuff. It appears unbalanced, but I can't give you numbers (and for that I apologize!). It needs much more N in relation to the Na, K, and P... in fact, I only see a three out of a total of FIFTEEN measurements that are 'within optimal range' on the report.

dorjewright

dorjewright

Did some reading on EC - confess it didn't help much. Seems a high EC canbe moderated through flushing and MJ is fairly tolerant of a moderate EC. Heres the additive info.
According to the company state law prevents an NPK anaylsis on the bag. Its composed of all the usual stuff like fir bark humus, coconut coir, peat, pumice,sandy loam,worm castings,cow and horse manure, oyster shell lime, gypsum, bat quano, fist meal,greensand, kelp meal, as well as chicken poop.
Going to call Roots see if I can get analysis of their soil for comparison.

dorjewright

dorjewright

The EC of Roots is 2.0. They won't give me an analysis but gave me a place to have it analysed on my own. But then I'll have to buy a bag. Might do that though. Anyone have an analysis of Foxfarm or some other planting soil for comparison?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Why won't they give you an analysis...? That doesn't smell right, does it?

I'm currently using a bagged soil <gasp!> that I got on deep discount at my local garden center. It's made by Gardener & Bloom (I think, that or Dr. Earth) and IIRC it's called Eden's... Eden... Eden something. They said it's new and no one bought it last year because of the price. Well, I took a look at the ingredients and it's comprised of stuff I would use, happily. They do have some perlite in there, and I wish they didn't, but c'est la vies. I should look it up.

In any event, I've always been very happy with the Gardener & Bloom soils, and they're usually about half the price of these other products.

Found it! I've been misspelling the company name, it's Gardener & BloomE, with an 'e' at the end. The soil is Eden's Valley. I have no idea if they'll give an analysis, but I do like their other products.

dorjewright

dorjewright

This the analysis of their horse/cow blend compost.

Viewer

Latest posts

Top Bottom