Logistical Inexperience! : )

• Thread starter BearWater
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
Hello all! I’m getting ready to start some seeds. HOW MANY SEEDS DO I START? I have un feminized seeds and want to grow three different strains of each. My grow space will be 6x8( lights to be determined will be going with at least 1000 true watt LED). I know without having sexed seeds there will be males in the run, HOW MANY MALES? HOW MANY FEMALES? Is there a general rule to fallow for calculating this? Im trying to avoid having to many plants in veg that I end up culling. Sorry if this was a hard read to get through or doesn’t make sense (let me know). Thanks for taking the time to read!

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
How many plants to grow depends on several things, but mostly I'd say how big you want to grow them is what matters most. So, for example, for mid-size to large plants, 4 sq ft per plant is a good estimate. That would be 12 plants. ((6 * 8) / 4=12)

As for the male to female ratio, IDK, but I have read that growing conditions can have an effect. I understand cannabis is one of the most complex types of plant when it comes to sex determination.

My general advice for a new grower would be to keep it simple and start with a few plants, even if using a big tent. My first grow was abysmal, so I quickly learned to shift my focus to getting all the way through to harvest. I wasn't a member of a forum like this then, though.

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
How many plants to grow depends on several things, but mostly I'd say how big you want to grow them is what matters most. So, for example, for mid-size to large plants, 4 sq ft per plant is a good estimate. That would be 12 plants. ((6 * 8) / 4=12)

As for the male to female ratio, IDK, but I have read that growing conditions can have an effect. I understand cannabis is one of the most complex types of plant when it comes to sex determination.

My general advice for a new grower would be to keep it simple and start with a few plants, even if using a big tent. My first grow was abysmal, so I quickly learned to shift my focus to getting all the way through to harvest. I wasn't a member of a forum like this then, though.
This is a great start! Thank you for this equation!

Yes! As far as the ratio of males to females, logically in my head I just need to veg a shit ton of plants to make sure I get the amount of females I need/want To run.

Otto Bonn

Otto Bonn

This is a great start! Thank you for this equation!

Yes! As far as the ratio of males to females, logically in my head I just need to veg a shit ton of plants to make sure I get the amount of females I need/want To run.
roughly 50/50

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
But you have to plan on the worst case scenario! Maybe 60 or 70% male! Unless you are really unlucky with heaps of bad karma! We won’t go there!😀

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
But you have to plan on the worst case scenario! Maybe 60 or 70% male! Unless you are really unlucky with heaps of bad karma! We won’t go there!😀
Ha! I was typing the last response as You replied! This is where my mind goes naturally, worst case scenario.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
I saw you saying something about using solo cups to save money. I think there’s two reasons to use solos. One because it’s a proven way with most people using them. And two, if you have problems in them, more people are familiar, and can provide more of an accurate diagnosis! Hell, I went to the 9 ounce solos and love it! Gives you a ton of control over your dry backs! Or, you can go scrounge around in your junk pile and use eight different containers to start eight plants. I don’t like giving up control! L O L!

Last edited:
BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
I saw you saying something about using solo cups to save money. I think there’s two reasons to use solos. One because it’s a proven way with most people using them. And two, if you have problems in them, more people are familiar, and can provide more of an accurate diagnosis! Hell, I went to the 9 ounce solos and love it! Gives you a ton of control over your dry backs! Or, you can go scrounge around in your junk pile and use eight different containers to start eight plants. I don’t like giving up control! L O L!
Yeah! we used them in the outdoor scene : ) never knew why, never even thought to question it hahaha. I will be getting solo cups in a few days because of the exact scenario you described! And I have totally done that (acquired pots and scrap piles) before and its a real pain in the ass! thanks for the 9oz cup info!

Top Bottom