Lollipopping outdoor

• Thread starter caligirl
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
caligirl

caligirl

I have been growing for years but am looking to revamp my outdoor pruning methods this year. To preface, I always use plenty of support for my plants and grow good genetics in 65 gallon smart pots.
So, I usually top a few times in early veg and lollipop throughout vegging. I think most outdoor growers top for yield and bud rot/mold reasons but I have been considering other factors such as excessive branching after topping (more sites for mold and branches to possibly split later with weight of buds).
Also some growers lollipop into flower but Ive been finding if I cut branches too late, when they are woodier, I sometimes get stem mold at the cut sight.

Also, last year I had an issue with trunk/branch splitting where I had first topped. This also caused stem mold. I always have plenty of support for the weighty buds but the split still occurred. Im considering altering my approach.
Not topping would eliminate the trunk splitting but then I would have to worry more about giant bud mold. Not topping would also reduce excessive branching. And much less larf for trimming. So, I am thinking about not topping a couple plants to test. Thoughts? Comments?

Top Bottom