Long internodes on otherwise healthy plant. Thoughts?

• Thread starter OldManRiver
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
OldManRiver

OldManRiver

Hi. Curious as to your thoughts on how my plants are developing this year. These are plants in good, healthy soil. As you can see, the overall health appears excellent. However, my internodes are pretty long. 6 to 8 inches. I am feeding Botanicare Pro Veg, once a week, about 3/4 recommended strength. The soil had a good load of steer manure compost this spring. They get about 8 hours of direct sun, are growing rapidly, are strong, no issues, other than my internode length is longer than it has been in years past. The seedlings were put out later than in prior years, 6/15 or so. The plant shown is a Chem Dawg, which I grew last year. My recollection is that the internodes were half this length last year. Too much nitrogen, maybe?

The section that I am thoughtful about is the first two internodes on branches from the main stalks, which are eight inches each long. The shade leaf petioles are pretty long as well.

Long internodes on otherwise healthy plant  thoughts
Long internodes on otherwise healthy plant  thoughts 2
oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Hi. Curious as to your thoughts on how my plants are developing this year. These are plants in good, healthy soil. As you can see, the overall health appears excellent. However, my internodes are pretty long. 6 to 8 inches. I am feeding Botanicare Pro Veg, once a week, about 3/4 recommended strength. The soil had a good load of steer manure compost this spring. They get about 8 hours of direct sun, are growing rapidly, are strong, no issues, other than my internode length is longer than it has been in years past. The seedlings were put out later than in prior years, 6/15 or so. The plant shown is a Chem Dawg, which I grew last year. My recollection is that the internodes were half this length last year. Too much nitrogen, maybe?

The section that I am thoughtful about is the first two internodes on branches from the main stalks, which are eight inches each long. The shade leaf petioles are pretty long as well.
they look great,reason for the long node is to much nitrogen,the cow poo has a bunch,think about it,sun you cant control for stretch,food you can ,nitrogen will harm most crops even though nice nd green the plant focus more on that than setting flowers,you really see this growing melons,dont do away with it though just cut back on it and bring your sulfur count up instead,thats a nice stand there i wouldnt even complain at all,beside that it probally keep the pillars and horn worms off your buds come time if you dig,all though the horn worm can bring devistation pretty quick,i have fought them bastards since july,i find going out with a flash light is easier to get there ass because the cant camaflouge themself in the dark,tomato plants are a difrent color in the dark

visajoe1

visajoe1

what time in the afternoon does the direct light cease? I thought she could be stretching for light perhaps. or maybe its just the strain? if you've grown in the same spot before and had shorter nodes, not sure what else could be happening. she looks happy

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

they look great,reason for the long node is to much nitrogen,the cow poo has a bunch,think about it,sun you cant control for stretch,food you can ,nitrogen will harm most crops even though nice nd green the plant focus more on that than setting flowers,you really see this growing melons,dont do away with it though just cut back on it and bring your sulfur count up instead,thats a nice stand there i wouldnt even complain at all,beside that it probally keep the pillars and horn worms off your buds come time if you dig,all though the horn worm can bring devistation pretty quick,i have fought them bastards since july,i find going out with a flash light is easier to get there ass because the cant camaflouge themself in the dark,tomato plants are a difrent color in the dark
Yeah, I think I hit the steer manure a bit hard. I'll go lighter next year. They certainly aren't hurting. :-)

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

what time in the afternoon does the direct light cease? I thought she could be stretching for light perhaps. or maybe its just the strain? if you've grown in the same spot before and had shorter nodes, not sure what else could be happening. she looks happy
Nah, it's not light. I've grown four years in this bed. The house wall you see behind is oriented east-west; they get direct southern light. They get hard sunlight from 8 to 3pm. The plants overall are hugely vigorous. The stem 12 inches down from top is 3/4 in diameter. You can see the prior years in my sig. As the guy above suggested, I think they had a lot of nitrogen available. Gonna stop feeding veg ferts.

Top Bottom