Long Term Storage Methods

• Thread starter Yaddadamean
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Yaddadamean

Yaddadamean

What are your long term storage methods?

I have units on deck w/refresher gel packs, tied tight in goose bags, stored in a cooler.
What's the shelf life in bags until putting buds back in jars? My buds have been getting good feedback so far, but still waiting for that big score. *I don't even want to get into how Prop 64 effected all the small farmers and independent vendors. I'm doing my best to focus my energy into adapting to this bull$*&# and staying optimistic.

Harvest was only a month ago, so everything's still fresh.
But my Type-A personality makes me think i'm not moving fast enough. lol.

Buds have 6.00% moisture

Your thoughts?
Long term storage methods

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Vacuum sealed mason jars with Boveda packs in each jar stored at 45 deg in a spare fridge. Have gone over a year with this method taste smell and smoke as good as the day they went in.

I do however use a longer slower dry than most folks as I believe the slower the dry prior to cure the smoother and better tasting the meds.

I dry for a minimum of 14-21 days at 60 deg F and a Rh around 60-65 %

Yaddadamean

Yaddadamean

Vacuum sealed mason jars with Boveda packs in each jar stored at 45 deg in a spare fridge. Have gone over a year with this method taste smell and smoke as good as the day they went in.

I do however use a longer slower dry than most folks as I believe the slower the dry prior to cure the smoother and better tasting the meds.

I dry for a minimum of 14-21 days at 60 deg F and a Rh around 60-65 %

Yah, I'll jar my buds back up mid December.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Vacuum sealed bags once the product hits the desired RH, then into bins for me. Used to go in my basement, I no longer have a basement, so they've gotta set in the storage shed. Definitely LESS than ideal.

Golden Zia

Golden Zia

5 gallon food grade buckets with Gamma lids.
Packed tightly with a medium to dense flower you can pack right at 3units or just under.
I only use plastic buckets for long term storage once a good glass cure has been achieved.
I've been pretty satisfied with this combination.
For long term storage the buckets are then stored sub-grade for better temp and RH management.

Yaddadamean

Yaddadamean

Well. It won't be for long, long term storage...at least until the holidays cool down. Besides, once January hits, it'll be 5 months until May. Then the cycle continues.

I love growing cannabis.

Yaddadamean

Yaddadamean

I've been using C-Vaults with boveda packs. works great

How long do you consider long term storage? I don't expect my crops to sit very long.
Just long enough to get past the holidays. I'm actually trying to save some for the drought.

Capfan

Capfan

I like the 5 gallon food grade idea, when we talk glass, I feel like this really only works with small crops, not to mention that if the glass breaks, bye bye weed :(

I'm using 3 mil plastic bags and sucking air out and sealing the bag, best I can do with 800+ lbs, I heard of wood barrels being used, but what type of barrel won't wick moisture??

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Vacuum sealed bags once the product hits the desired RH, then into bins for me. Used to go in my basement, I no longer have a basement, so they've gotta set in the storage shed. Definitely LESS than ideal.
I store in Masson jars and vac seal them I'm in area very close to the sea atmosphere this way I know it's safe from moisture I have outdoor crop stored from 4 seasons back and still in perfect conditions .

Yaddadamean

Yaddadamean

Turns out I don't have to worry about the long term storage problem.
At the rate I'm going, I'm gonna be out before the new season starts. I can't wait until i turn my op in doors so i can produce a harvest every 3-4 months. But the only thing about indo is that it requires constant vigilance. Always having to tend to veggie clones, tend to plants, trimming, drying etc...That sounds like the best job ever.

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
I can't wait until i turn my op in doors so i can produce a harvest every 3-4 months. But the only thing about indo is that it requires constant vigilance. Always having to tend to veggie clones, tend to plants, trimming, drying etc...That sounds like the best job ever.

Indoor growing is fun. You get a harvest every 2-2.5 months if you run a perpetual well.

But like you said. Certain things require a lot of attention. That means checking on them before work in the morning, right as you get home from work, as well as before bed.

There is much joy gained from taking care of plants though. Very therapeutic.

I do agree though that it sucks running out between harvests.

Just gotta refine our skills to maximise our spaces better to get bigger yields.

mendo.pharms

mendo.pharms

it all depends on how much you have. Vacuum sealing or using 5 gallon buckets if you have 500+ pounds isn't realistic.
Bury a tank, I've found septic tanks work the best as they are designed to be underground. Use contractor bags, double bag them and store them under ground. I'll pull bags out in July that look just like they did in November when I put them in there. But beware, don't store long term if the buds are not dried perfectly. Too much Moisture + long term storage do not mix.
Good luck

Top Bottom