Long time grower - Back at it - Interesting Genetics.

• Thread starter Thatoneguyyouknow_
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Long time grower, getting back at it. Ill try to keep this short, i can be very long winded with text.

Around 20 or so years growing experience indoor and out both. Last several years i've been workking for NOAA/Nat'l weather service and just haven't had time for it. Had connections with many long time growers, and several commercial growers in the Kansas City area for a while.

Now im out in the sticks, and i have my own land to play around on. I had some really cool genetics in the fridge, and on a whim decided i might as well start a grow this season.

It's going to be a combination small indoor soil grow/outdoor/as i finish remodeling the basement ill be putting a 5x5, 4 bucket DWC grow together to transition to with my soil closet hosting soil bound clone mothers.

There will be some explanations on the genetics down below somewhere. My mix is 50/50ish coir/self made compost. No perlite locally so i didnt use any. This mix drains better and clumps less then you'd think looking at it though
3 Gobnugget fem self made

3 Peaceblaster Fem self made

2 Biggs ---- Fem self made

4 crazy old deadhead's sativa beans His buds were just big pointy christmas trees that tasted as good as pine-sol smells, in the best way possible that i know a lot of others miss too. The top most my seeds came from (about 50) weighed clos to 10g and it was absolutely connoisseur grade sativa goodness that's hard to find. Honestly im excited about these the most. Claims to have been running for 30+ years outdoor from a couple of original plants. One was supposedly the original jack herer, another was the original big bud. So his crazy old deadhead story goes anyway.

Got a couple weirdo trifoliates from the deadhead's beans, so i do believe him that his plants have been incbed for 30 years 🤣

Long time grower   back at it   interesting genetics

Long time grower   back at it   interesting genetics 2

Some rambling on the origins of the genetics.

The biggs and peaceblaster seeds are both about 5 years old (Also the most vigorous to start, but seed keep for a VERY long time in the cold) The gobnugget seeds are about 3 years old, untested seeds. fridge stored. The old deadhead's beans i obtained this last winter on a trip back to missouri.

Biggs= Bubba kush x gelato f1 regular cross. Pheno hunted for two very similar females. two small clones were grown in a small tent together, one was forced to hermaphrodite. The seeds im calling biggs are these seeds. Ive grown 3 of them and so far theyve been similar enough to not justify giving them numbers. If stressed can hermie. But just a few little bananas and a seed or two per. No full male flowers.

Gobnugget= thin mint cookies x male seedsman original afgani #1 F1 cross. Male selected....
GG4 clone x selected F1 male (it was selected for tight node spacing and rapid flower development, didnt translate as wished really.) Female selected
Selected female clone X Blue dream male. (I traded some female bubba x gelato pollen for this male pollen to another Missouri area cat) Female selected. Gobnugget is an accidental F1 feminized cross of this selected female and Biggs. Grew them together once and had a family emergency and no one to plant sit. Left town for about 4 days leaving lights off (for safety) in a DWC grow. Came back and finished up. The Biggs spit a few bananas. The selected female clone did not. Her seeds were kept and labeled "Gobnuggets?"

I will likely be numbering the Gobnugget females at some point until i chose one. I'll prob just call it gobnugget then. I have never grown these seeds before.

Peaceblaster
=
Selected female clone X Blue dream male
x forced hermaphrodite Columbian landrace sativa - F1 fem cross (Yup :blsmoke:....you can go back and look and let that one sink in for second. You can't have any. Sorry) The phenos ive run tended to test in the mid 20s

Ill be numbering these too. Ive done a couple of these, one was a heavily sativa dominant plant with hybrid vigor that would triple in size during flower, outyeild any of my indicas in grm/m3 metrics, be ready to pull in 55 days flat on a solid DWC run. It could do this in half the veg time of my Biggs while ending up twice the size and more then double the yield if you compared directly on a plant to plant basis.

Those old deadhead's beans= Is a non fem sativa cross that's supposed to be the original Jack Herrer x Original Big bud. Dude also, like many crazy old deadheads, has crazy old dead head stories. Said he's been running the same males and females for 30 years now and got both plants from a friend of Jack himself. The buds he shared were seriously massive, and seriously good. Had that sativa straight pine taste you just basically never find anymore. I got 2/4 trifoliates which is interesting, haven't had 50% trifoliates in any beans ive popped before, so i AM at least somewhat inclined to believe that wherever this seed stock originated, it's been inbred for several generations. So maybe it is an older genetic worth preserving or breeding??? I have pretty solid confirmation his claim of essentially inbreeding the same plants for 30 generations would play well with this % of likely inbred origin deformity. I have probably 50 more of these seeds too. More then ill ever need. The guy really just let his pollen chuck itself year after year never removing the males starting from just a couple plants if his story checks out. These seeds are very fresh. Big fat, very circular seeds with dark stripes, fridge stored

Im open to some genetic trading with anything but the Peaceblaster, i only have about 10 of those. Assuming im allowed to say that. I have a small handful of the columbian land race beans left too. But they are nearly 10 years old at this point and haven't spent the entire time in the fridge and i dont want to pop anything i dont want to grow.

Ill dig out and post up some pics of my past grows with these genetics when i feel like actually doing that, this post got way bigger then i wanted it to. I have pics somewhere of a monster DWC grow with the columbian land race that pulled about 2 pounds from a plant that was about 5' tall 6' wide because she wouldn't ever finish flowering lol. It was entirely by accident. Had to bust out an old 1kw HPS to finish her and still couldn't. She went in to flower like a foot tall next to 2 other plants in a 6x7 space.

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Ok so first, that giant Land race. Best pics from it i have.

It was a very hard plant to grow in DWC lol. hard to feed, hard to manage all around. Expecting decendants of this plant to much prefer being outside.

IMG 20210826 215543 1

IMG 0096

IMG 20211007 010619

This is the seed mother of Gobnugget and Peaceblaster both. We called this plant "Moonsocket"

IMG 0098

IMG 0102

IMG 0101

This is some shots of my faster Peaceblaster phenotype. This is a feminized F1 cross of the two previous plants.

262513383 3940711479365305 5754947141935290288 n

267497770 1281785838991766 2552210162672872893 n

This is a purple cookies pheno type we called the little monster. Thing was a damn alien. Only made neon colors, had a waxy skin that would peel off like a lamination. crazy drought and insect tolerance. Insane quality to the bud, but had a terrible yield even in DWC.

261670775 201904148799011 336271355503814914 n

Lm

Those are some peaceblaster colas photo bombing her in the bottom left of this last pic.

Last edited:
Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Heres a dry columbian land race nug held up to an essentially ripe Biggs bud. As well as a partially trimmed biggs cola. This was a plant that was best trimmed wet. Its terp content is so high it tastes fantastic basically no matter how you treat it or cure it. I was also a fan of making live resin with her sugar trim, so she always got fresh trimmed.

I thought i had more Biggs photos, but i dont lol.
262915597 643948876949985 1638852531603391649 n

267304181 493306465417025 3481510059897470970 n

Ok enough bod pRon and reminiscing, onward to the unprepared and disorganized grow starting a bit late..... Better late then never though.

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

For anyone curious about the naming convention of the plants.... They are song names from the earlier work of a trippy jam-band called STS9. Last post for now, promise.

Last edited:
GerryOfDankzville

GerryOfDankzville

Long time grower, getting back at it. Ill try to keep this short, i can be very long winded with text.

Around 20 or so years growing experience indoor and out both. Last several years i've been workking for NOAA/Nat'l weather service and just haven't had time for it. Had connections with many long time growers, and several commercial growers in the Kansas City area for a while.

Now im out in the sticks, and i have my own land to play around on. I had some really cool genetics in the fridge, and on a whim decided i might as well start a grow this season.

It's going to be a combination small indoor soil grow/outdoor/as i finish remodeling the basement ill be putting a 5x5, 4 bucket DWC grow together to transition to with my soil closet hosting soil bound clone mothers.

There will be some explanations on the genetics down below somewhere. My mix is 50/50ish coir/self made compost. No perlite locally so i didnt use any. This mix drains better and clumps less then you'd think looking at it though
3 Gobnugget fem self made

3 Peaceblaster Fem self made

2 Biggs ---- Fem self made

4 crazy old deadhead's sativa beans His buds were just big pointy christmas trees that tasted as good as pine-sol smells, in the best way possible that i know a lot of others miss too. The top most my seeds came from (about 50) weighed clos to 10g and it was absolutely connoisseur grade sativa goodness that's hard to find. Honestly im excited about these the most. Claims to have been running for 30+ years outdoor from a couple of original plants. One was supposedly the original jack herer, another was the original big bud. So his crazy old deadhead story goes anyway.

Got a couple weirdo trifoliates from the deadhead's beans, so i do believe him that his plants have been incbed for 30 years 🤣

View attachment 2154441
View attachment 2154442

Some rambling on the origins of the genetics.

The biggs and peaceblaster seeds are both about 5 years old (Also the most vigorous to start, but seed keep for a VERY long time in the cold) The gobnugget seeds are about 3 years old, untested seeds. fridge stored. The old deadhead's beans i obtained this last winter on a trip back to missouri.

Biggs= Bubba kush x gelato f1 regular cross. Pheno hunted for two very similar females. two small clones were grown in a small tent together, one was forced to hermaphrodite. The seeds im calling biggs are these seeds. Ive grown 3 of them and so far theyve been similar enough to not justify giving them numbers. If stressed can hermie. But just a few little bananas and a seed or two per. No full male flowers.

Gobnugget= thin mint cookies x male seedsman original afgani #1 F1 cross. Male selected....
GG4 clone x selected F1 male (it was selected for tight node spacing and rapid flower development, didnt translate as wished really.) Female selected
Selected female clone X Blue dream male. (I traded some female bubba x gelato pollen for this male pollen to another Missouri area cat) Female selected. Gobnugget is an accidental F1 feminized cross of this selected female and Biggs. Grew them together once and had a family emergency and no one to plant sit. Left town for about 4 days leaving lights off (for safety) in a DWC grow. Came back and finished up. The Biggs spit a few bananas. The selected female clone did not. Her seeds were kept and labeled "Gobnuggets?"

I will likely be numbering the Gobnugget females at some point until i chose one. I'll prob just call it gobnugget then. I have never grown these seeds before.

Peaceblaster
=

x forced hermaphrodite Columbian landrace sativa - F1 fem cross (Yup :blsmoke:....you can go back and look and let that one sink in for second. You can't have any. Sorry) The phenos ive run tended to test in the mid 20s

Ill be numbering these too. Ive done a couple of these, one was a heavily sativa dominant plant with hybrid vigor that would triple in size during flower, outyeild any of my indicas in grm/m3 metrics, be ready to pull in 55 days flat on a solid DWC run. It could do this in half the veg time of my Biggs while ending up twice the size and more then double the yield if you compared directly on a plant to plant basis.

Those old deadhead's beans= Is a non fem sativa cross that's supposed to be the original Jack Herrer x Original Big bud. Dude also, like many crazy old deadheads, has crazy old dead head stories. Said he's been running the same males and females for 30 years now and got both plants from a friend of Jack himself. The buds he shared were seriously massive, and seriously good. Had that sativa straight pine taste you just basically never find anymore. I got 2/4 trifoliates which is interesting, haven't had 50% trifoliates in any beans ive popped before, so i AM at least somewhat inclined to believe that wherever this seed stock originated, it's been inbred for several generations. So maybe it is an older genetic worth preserving or breeding??? I have pretty solid confirmation his claim of essentially inbreeding the same plants for 30 generations would play well with this % of likely inbred origin deformity. I have probably 50 more of these seeds too. More then ill ever need. The guy really just let his pollen chuck itself year after year never removing the males starting from just a couple plants if his story checks out. These seeds are very fresh. Big fat, very circular seeds with dark stripes, fridge stored

Im open to some genetic trading with anything but the Peaceblaster, i only have about 10 of those. Assuming im allowed to say that. I have a small handful of the columbian land race beans left too. But they are nearly 10 years old at this point and haven't spent the entire time in the fridge and i dont want to pop anything i dont want to grow.

Ill dig out and post up some pics of my past grows with these genetics when i feel like actually doing that, this post got way bigger then i wanted it to. I have pics somewhere of a monster DWC grow with the columbian land race that pulled about 2 pounds from a plant that was about 5' tall 6' wide because she wouldn't ever finish flowering lol. It was entirely by accident. Had to bust out an old 1kw HPS to finish her and still couldn't. She went in to flower like a foot tall next to 2 other plants in a 6x7 space.
I think I met him and rezdog at a show in 91. He was rambling about some stuff called chem dog n sour deez. Small world 👍

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

How many weeks they take to finish? Been growing long time too but never straight sativa shit makes me paranoid haha. One hit Jerry
The deadhead beans? Indoors? no idea, Outdoors? He pulls at first frost lol, but thats kansas city area roughly, so sometime in october and his lil christmas trees (little for xmas trees, but huge for buds) def coulda gone on a little longer. Im a bit further south then KC now, i probably wont get first frost til late october/early november here. If i remember correctly the big buds ive run in the past were all around 9 weeks. Never run a jack, but i rememeber seeing journals back in the day where the jacks would regularly hit 11+ much like the old hazes. Id prob expect 9-12 indoor, and a late october/early November finish outdoor. Not 100% sure. He's been letting them inbreed for so long in that area outdoors, id imagine it's probably a little bit faster then when he first started with them.

His buds had that fills you sinuses with pine flavor and scent, that you just don't find anywhere anymore. Thats the big draw on those. I hadnt even realized i hadnt tasted that flavor of cannabis in ages until i hit it. I went dispensary crawling after i got those buds from him through KC for like 5 days in a row. Couldn't find a single big pointy sativa bud that tasted like pine resin. Those used to be everywhere. Now they're nowhere. I've had piney flavors, but nothing like that straight Christmas tree flavor, and now that i know what im missing, i really miss it.

The peaceblaster land race cross is Fem, but also displays some F1 vigor in many of the phenos. My old fast pheno from the pictures was a half land race, sativa dom plant done in 60 days flower. She flowered a little faster then my Biggs (nearly pure indica). Most peaceblaster phenos run by myself and others are 9-11 weeks indoor, a coupe phenos displaying hybrid vigor have been 7-9 weeks. There are absolutely 9 week and less phenotypes in the peaceblaster cross even though pollen donor was 12+ and mother was 9weeks solid. I attribute that to presence of F1 hybrid vigor though (her genetics have multiple generations of F1 cross followed by phenotype hunting for the next generation, also F1. The final F1 cross was a forcably hormone interrupted columbian land race for female pollen given to a GG4 cross F1 chosen pheno displaying hybrid vigor herself. The peaceblaster is a feminized land race based F1 hybrid with heavy hybrid vigor presence, and no one thats grown her has EVER seen a single male flower, or even late flower banana. You can murder these plants intentionally and slowly half way through flower, and they still wont shoot any stamen, at least in mine and others experience.

Stabilized genetics are a wonderful thing, especially for starting out growers, or people with limited space and time. But i intentionally avoid them most of the time for a plethora of reasons lol. You could argue Biggs is a stableized genetic because all the phenos are the same. But it's just a Fem F2. its consistency shouldn't be the way it is, but it is.

(Im not willing to share the peaceblaster genetics until i find a pheno to keep a mother. I only have like 9 more of those seeds, most went to commercial growers around the KC area to hunt for unique clone only sativas)

Biggs is 8-9 week flower time always, every seed lol.

Hopefully the deadheads beans are faster then the columbian land race, they should be, that plant could only be finished outdoor, and only in a greenhouse if above the mason-dixon line lol

Speaking of '91, i have a nausea inducing story of loosing some '91 chem dawg x afghani land race (seedsman afghani #1) F1 seeds. The nausea inducing part is i didnt actually loose them, my stoned ass tossed em in the crisper unlabeled in a pill pouch thinking id recognize them, then forgot i had em for over a year (more like 3 lol). That crisper has like 10 unlabeled pill pouches of seeds in it, probably 300 unlabeled beans total. There's only 2 packs i know for sure cant be the 91 chem, like 8 or 9 that could be. Some of the genetics in that crisper are just mid grade, high yield commercial hybrids im not particularly interested in popping these days. (golden strawberry, grampa's stash, few others)

Had i not been an unorganized idiot while i wasnt growing, i'd have '91 Chemdog D x Afghani land race going too right now 😓

Last edited:
Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

I will happily share Biggs beans, as well as that crazy old deadhead's inbred beans. Gobnugget too, but idk anything about that cross yet besides lineage and charachter if the mother and pollen donor. Maybe peaceblaster if i get the kinda pheno im after sooner rather than later.

I'd prefer to get my land race beans to a breeder if possible, If there's a breeder out there that wants my potentially no longer viable columbian land race seeds ill send em out for free. Im not planning on popping any more of those, i got from it what i was after. Its not really a plant worth growing for any reasons other then making F1 crosses with it. And like i said, idk if theyre viable any more, but it's a land race, you only need 1 to get what you need from it. (someone who grows for their own smoke alone, probably doesn't want to mess with this plant, it will almost guaranteed, be an unjustifiably poor growing experience for an unjustifiably weak end product lol) I have noticed some breeders taking some deep breaths when it comes to the land races in recent years. A lot of that probably has to do with how difficult the sativa land races (you only ever really see Afghani anymore), as well as their offspring, can be to cultivate effectively in an artificial environment. The peaceblasters have all been just as difficult to grow indoors as the old Hazes made with the thai land races.

Those were claimed to be about 10 years old when i came into possession of them 5+ years ago. I put 10 to paper towel and less then half popped, and only ended up with 2 sprouts, both were females more or less identical. Both took 12+ weeks to flower and were some of the most sativa plants ive ever grown. If i had to guess thc content was probably in the 8-15% range. But even if you hormone interrupt and gather some female pollen, just about any cross with the plant will display F1 hybrid vigor, but much like the land race pollen donor, have NOT been very suitable for hydro growing. They do best in soil, outside.

I have probably a dozen of the Columbian beans left back in my old roommates crisper. Big fatties, almost solid black. no stripes, kinda look like hemp seeds. I can absolutely get them out to a breeder if interested. Just no guarantee on germ rates, and It is indeed the less desirable of the sativa land races iirc, but land race nonetheless. The source was actually an acquaintances trip to central/South America. He did Bolivia, Columbia, then finally Peru to do the whole San Pedro/Ayahuasca thing. He mailed the seeds back to himself in multiple packages to make sure some got through. All made it through. The claim was that he traded some unopened packs of Marlboro cigarettes for a handful of the seeds lol.

Sorry im a sativa guy, tend to smoke and then just ramble on and on.....

Last edited:
Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Was working on clearing the area im going to plant so i can do some soil amending... mostly just aeration and goat poo and more compost.

There's a trailor park in the area, and foot traffic has worn some paths through the woods adjacent my land so that they can make it to the stores down in town more directly. And those woods aren't my land so i can;t do anything about that foot traffic. So im still going to be a little stealthy.

I'll be clearing a plot into a golden rod bank that's probably 8 foot tall enough to give the plot about 4-5 hours direct sun daily. You physically only be able to access the plot from the side of the golden rod bank you can only get to from my back yard. And you cant get into my backyard without tripping a motion camera, or going through a huge briar thorn patch, or somehow getting through the golden rods (fat chance, as you can see)

Those tree's are a pretty good ways out of the way of the overhead sun path. They should get about 10am to about 3pm, and just go into shade before the hottest part of the day, with spotty direct and plenty of ambient throughout the rest of the day.

I may make an additional plot depending how big i can comfortably clean this one out to be. (I'd have nearly 2 acres i could comfortably plant anywhere if not for that damn trailer park and the paths they've worn through adjacent wooded areas.
439344260 1820401748433988 6139610686246800654 n

While working on this i remembered i had put my babies out for a bit of warm afternoon sun yesterday, wanna start weaning them into real light... well i forgot i had done this til a bit ago. It got down to about 48 last night, and it rained a good bit too. (Btw first baby pic is about 5 or 6 days old i believe so may as well update them already too since ive had my first whoopsy daisy already.) All but one going outside anyway, so i'll just tell myself whatever doesn't kill them is making them stronger :P

They're a little curled and droopy now, but i think they'll be just fine. They were watered evening before last, then rained on in the cold last night. So they've sat for close to 48hrs with very damp roots now. I'll let em dry and warm in the sun today a bit longer, then back inside to dry real good. oops.

I have noticed the mutant weirdo in the top right (old deadheads seed) didn't mind the extra watering, or the cold one bit. Kinda surprised. Just shrugging it off so far. I don't think i've seen a seedling this young take conditions like that this well before. All of a sudden i got my eye on (hopefully) her. I'm at pretty high elevation here, a cold hardy, old-school sativa gene would be *incredibly* welcome on my land. Is taking intense sun exposure, cold shock, and excessive soil moisture the best of all 12. I had to cut that ones cotyledons open with a sterile scalpel to let the plant out after sprouting it. They were fused. Ill post pics of that later, i took some lol. It wouldn't be the first time a mutant seedling requiring surgery gives me something great. The little monster purple cookies pheno was a mutant fused embryo as well.
434489091 980792686988077 1638156390392550159 n

Also my other babies being started later then i wanted to, because why not? Heirloom pickling cucumbers going out today or tomorrow. Same age as the cannabis but germed straight from the soil so popped up a little later. Also some heirloom peppers, eggplant, and zucchini i just popped in the soil last night. Starting inside because we're still having some pretty chilly nights with a good bit of rain.

439538705 480885317604165 1143103230590572196 n

Last edited:
Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Found some finish shots of the columbian land race. Man this stuff hung around for a long time lol, no one wanted to buy it, and i wasnt the biggest fan of smoking it either lol. Great qualities to the high, just lacked potency. I mainly smoked on her dabs.

Theres a picture of some wax i blasted from the buds as well. It made an absolutely fantastic wax (usually shattered up, deep orange/amber color, never brown or green) just had a low return. I think it took about a year to totally run out of this plant lol. I had about 2 pounds of buds from the one big girl, and thats excluding all those larf branches that just made wax and hash. Those two big bags together iirc were right at a qp each and i had 7 or 8 of those. This pic was taken when i was trying to get it gone for cheap after i sat on it for quite some time. That Rubbermaid full of larf branch was a pretty damn big rubbermaid, and that was not all the larf either, just what i still had when i took the pics. Most of what's in that bin got turned into edibles it was quite old already.

I only vegged this plant for 5 or so weeks in DWC lol, was only topped once.

My dad loved it though, said it reminded him of the "thai stick" from the 70s lol.

It never stopped growing through flower, even if it was almost dead. It would not hermie no matter what was done to it, even if it was almost dead. And even though it was the hardest plant ive ever done in DWC, it is also the biggest single plant yield ive ever pulled from an indoor plant in a personal grow. If i coulda nailed it i prob would have seen over 3 pounds yield from a single plant under 500w of full spectrum LED on a 5 week veg time, (even though i had to tear down the tent around the plant, and use panda plastic and 2x4s to wall it into the corner of the room and finish it with a 1kw HPS for the last month because it outgrew a 5x5 tent and 4 panel 500w LED. Hence the 2010 era lumatek in the photo on previous post)

IMG 20211013 133642
IMG 20211014 114636
IMG 20211014 114750
IMG 20211016 165128
IMG 20211022 121256
IMG 20211022 143124
Last edited:
Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

So, was a rough few days for the plants after that night of rain.

My compost when drizzled on through the night, vs a quick drink til a little runoff, holds dramatically more water.

They got to lookin pretty bad, they're starting to perk back up now though. I'm going to be set another week or so behind on the growing season now. C'est La vie! Pretty sure i very narrowly dodged the root rot bullet here. would have been easier to find, but nowhere here sells perlite in store lol. The ordered bag arrived today. A couple may have root rot already though. Prob pretty obvious which. Ended up making some heptahydrate desiccant from some epsom salt to speed up the soil drying. Glad i did. They just got some ph'd water with 1/6th strength nutes earlier today. Already seeing some good signs compared to yesterday

439972622 1192115002198039 4645500131209959586 n

I have continued to notice that mutant's in the back right's resistance to both excessive moisture and cold. Hoping for a female there.

It didn't just catch up through the cold and the wet, it's beginning to thrive in comparison to the others.

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Bullet of my own careless stupidity successfully dodged i think. New growth on all 12 as of this morning. The green is a much happier green today as well. Wish i hadnt left em out in the cold rain that night, if i hadn't they'd still be ahead of my cucumbers by node count, and they'd prob be moved outside this weekend. Will prob be a next weekend thing or later now though. Between 8 guaranteed females, already being started late.... this set back probably cost me at least a QP, prob more this fall. Once again, c'est La vie!

439472275 1144517466899135 5690406739819354678 n
Last edited:
Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Note to self:

When using homemade compost... wait for the ****ing perlite to come in the mail. Not doing so may actually slow you down more then waiting for the perlite.

*que "the more you know" jingle*

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Finally into full veg mode. Will be upotting them tomorrow into some better draining soil.

The compost was doing just fine til i let it get rained on so thoroughly that night, it kinda fused into a lump once it was that saturated for that long. Now its taking a lot to get the moisture to penetrate the soil mix, and once it does it's holding on to it way too long. Would have probably been a non issue if i had never let the soil get that totally saturated. What im using is probably closer to the consistency of a loamy soil you'd find in a flood plane, vs a soft flowy potting soil.

Tough little girlies, im proud of em. Those yellow lower true leaves probably won't go back green, i know it looks like an N deficiency, but it is absolutely 100% a result of the excessive moisture stress. Im surprised they went turgid again at all, they had curled over to the ground and stiffened already 💀 I had to be very careful with excessive moisture in a compost mix and you cant add feed to it unless the moisture level/aeration is under control, it will encourage anaerobic bacteria blooms otherwise.

Peaceblaster the row of 3 on far left. Gobnuggets the row of 3 to their right. The top 2 in the next row are Biggs the 1 under them is a "jack x BB", and then the remaining 3 on the far right are "jack x BB" deadhead plants.

439282616 399829092957518 8949165099415227583 n
Last edited:
Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

All but one of the Biggs are moving out to the porch tonight (as soon as im done typing actually) until i have the plot ready for them. Will be keeping a good eye to bring them in before any inclimate weather while still in the compost.

Drooping because lights off was about 10 mins ago, some droop for sleeping WAY more then others, some barely droop at all. quick flipped on for moving them around and snapping a couple pics.. And it seems no matter what they look a little yellowy with this phone under this particular light. Cant wait for more sun shots. They were straight up glowing out there today. Excited to start noting the differences between the phenos. Will likely be pulling a no no this season and be making some indoor clone mothers from first-gen clones of outdoor plants. (proper quarantine procedures of course). I've made many clone-clonemothers over the years. I'm not too worried about doing this with a bunch of sativa dom genetics, and i have lots of Biggs beans.

439708095 644350977875499 6823525507548278552 n

Kinda crazy how much difference there already is between some of them. Putting the biggs next to the peaceblaster or Jack x BB, in person, difference is quite dramatic already,

This one's the Biggs (bubba kush x gelato) i will be keeping inside. Getting real fat.

439357175 8376427149040795 6305751476786681727 n

I've topped a couple plants today as well. I'm not sure if im going to top the Biggs or not, but ill likely top the rest. Although i dont have to worry about height here, so maybe ill let some grow all natural so i can see how the phenos really grow.

Here's two of the Jack x BB. Got topped today.
439823821 847165874117168 4675704915381915571 n

And i topped this Peaceblaster. So far looking like will likely be my most sativa dominant phenotype... but lots of growing to do yet. LOTS
439832151 1116074936308076 513364862056284526 n

Last edited:
Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Day 1 of "Plants staying outside"

Plants brought back in right at daybreak, been thunderstorm after thunderstorm full of wind since. Got washed out of going to work and everything today.

They'll be going back outside at about 3pm local time. I still haven't got around to up potting them, i probably wont, i dont think theyll be bound up by this weekend (planting time), and if they are, its not going to be that bad. Im stingy, i dont wanna use $40 worth of good mix just to throw it in ground ive been treating with compost and goat manure. It's really an unnecessary waste of money/material. Will probably up pot the biggs thats staying indoors this afternoon though.

They just got a good feeding recently, and I dont want the feed (flora series) to wash out of the cups, nor the compost in their mix to get tea'd out or fully saturated again. Shouldnt have to be feeding til theyre in the ground, but i am because of that first full rainy night the compost saw while in a container.

Center plant on the far left row is a Gobnugget atm, that particular plant lays almost totally flat against its main stem at night, way droopier then all the others. But come day break, it stands more proud, more turgid then all the others as well. That one likes to move. Already looks like the Biggs will be the dominant character in that pheno if i had to make an educated guess.

The F1 hybrid vigor is starting to show in some of the peaceblaster/gobnugget as well. Over the next couple months, they are likely to leave the rest in their wake. (yea, i did add a little bit more soil to the cups) Hoping i luck out and find another fast Pheno. Harvesting a high yield F1 vigor highly sativa dominant plant in late september/early october sounds pretty sweet. Total crapshoot hoping for a finish like that in a sativa landrace cross... but if it happened once... it can happen again.

The peaceblaster cross should contain the kind of sativa dominant genetics those cats out in the humboldt triangle use to create those 12 foot bushes that can pull 10lbs a piece. My deadhead jack x bb beans *should* also be some sativa dom genetics capable of such things. I be deciding exactly what training and manecuring they get individually as they grow out in the plot im making.

Ill snap some shots of the plot later on today after storms clear out. I got some small tress to cut down and some cleared brush to haul still. Then ill be hoeing the flood plane loam, compost, and goat manure ive gathered up into the top few inches of the soil. It's pretty crappy soil, the goldenrods have mostly sucked all the good stuff up. Ill be bringing in goat manure for most of the growing season, and supplementing with flora bloom and micro during flowering. Im arranging the plot so that during the hot growing season it's getting 3-4 hours direct, rest ambient sky light. But come fall as the sun is swinging more toward the southerly sky, they should be getting 4-6 hrs direct, rest ambient sky light. I could increase the hours, but i do still have to maintain a small element of stealth where im at because of a near by trailer park and the routes they walk to the stores in town are within 100 yard of my best place to plant. You have to circle through my property to get into the golden rods, and you gotta climb into the plot like a little kid under a bush fort while also needing to know where the old barbed wire is to dodge... but still. Stealth is good here.
439412043 308487365624667 150702351553247197 n 1

Last edited:
Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Just noticed on the OP i wrote that Biggs was a Fem F1.

She is not an F1 thats a typo, she is a Fem F2.

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

The plants are happy plants. Finally. Seem to be fully nuclear blast furnace acclimated too. Tehey won't be in the cups much longer and theyll be going in the ground, maybe be slightly bound by then but im not too worried about it.

Ill be rigging up some chick wire cylinders to put around them to keep the rabbits off to begin with, when they out grow the cylinder ill be tomato caging them. If any need it ill be tossing a net over them as they get toward flowering, some of these genetics will probably still get fairly big over the grow season. The jack x bb and peaceblasters both should get quite large. Im not sure what my growing season will be like this year, being my first time growing in this area outdoors, and it being an El Nino year and all that. Seems like it's gonna be pretty dry already. I may actually run a hose and some drip lines out for mid summer daily watering.

They've doubled in size give or take over the last few days
439894954 422407790531316 1183533354882567056 n

Def not hard to tell which ones are going to get biggest
439755775 399013696339001 907790309868495317 n

Topped the Biggs thats staying inside this morning as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom