longer cords

• Thread starter joehank
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
joehank

joehank

anyone know where to get vertical light sockets with cords that are longer than 15 feet? It's probably not safe to splice in an extension? I would make my own but can't source the correct end for the ballast side. I see alot of rooms here that look to have longer cords so I'm hoping to find out quick, construction begins in 2 weeks...

Papa

Papa

Supporter
joehank, yes, it's alright to splice in an extension, as long as it's done properly. home depot has a 12 ga. extension cord for $30 or $40 that i cut up and use for this purpose (it's cheaper than buying the cable by the foot. remember that magnetic ballasts have a limit of 25' cable length between ballast and lamp base. electronic ballasts vary on this, so you should check with the manufacturer of your ballasts about length before going over 25'. some are rated for up to 60'.

treebark1950

treebark1950

That's what i did. I went to the Depot and Bought a Spool of it and now I splice all my wires and make my own extensions! Cheaper and done right every time!

Quantrill

Quantrill

Cheaper and done right every time!

only if you used cable rated for 600 volts. such as "SO" or "STO" 16AWG cable.

if you chose "SJ" cable, which most utility extension cords are made out of, you did it wrong. As it is only rated for 300 volts.

Papa

Papa

Supporter
ah geez, and i was trying to be thorough with my answer. good lookin' out Quantrill!

Latest posts

Top Bottom