Looking for a cannabis job

• Thread starter BackyardGrow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BackyardGrow

BackyardGrow

Hello everyone ! So I recently turned 21 on Dec.31, 2021 and I’ve been really excited to get into the business. The only problem is I’m not too sure where to look when searching specifically for that field. Can anybody help? Links and things like that would really help!

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

By the way for everyone - check on Indeed. In legal states they're listing on it. Just use the keyword "Cannabis" and everything related will be in the results.

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

For the lurkers and dreamers - go to the website for the cannabis laws in your state. Investigate what is required at minimum to be employed in cannabis besides being of legal age.

For example in Alaska everyone must have a marijuana handlers card to be involved at all in the industry. From growers helper to retail sales and even trimming jobs. Further, again regarding Alaska, you must have a food handlers certificate because you will be handling edibles or around the ingredients or etc.

Have both of these in hand. Visit the places personally and have a CV with you even if it's nothing but your name and education. Work experience is a plus. Especially shit jobs like McDonald's because of experience in customer service.

Don't worry about lack of experience and realize you're going to be doing the lowest of jobs at the first most likely. Don't be too good to do any task including clearing a nasty ass sump or sweeping floors. Do it proudly with a smile and treat your coworkers like you treat customers. You'll move up quickly.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
I know in Oregon, anyone involved in the cannabis industry has to be Metrc certified. They have various levels of certification depending on your position, and most of the employers will pay for you to get certified since it plays into their compliance requirements.

That being said, don't get disheartened. It's a very competitive field and a lot of people are constantly trying to get into it. Also, if you go into retail, anticipate typical retail salaries -- bud tenders don't make shit is what I'm getting at.

Personally I wouldn't bother pursuing a job in the industry, at least not right now. There's a lot of underlying rumblings about the possible collapse of the industry as a whole and I imagine having a cannabis job (lower level -- growing/trimming/selling/etc) on one's resume would be akin to those from the more naked professions -- a big turn off to future employers when one decides they've had enough of the bullshit that goes on in the industry and decide to do something more fulfilling.

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

I know in Oregon, anyone involved in the cannabis industry has to be Metrc certified. They have various levels of certification depending on your position, and most of the employers will pay for you to get certified since it plays into their compliance requirements.

That being said, don't get disheartened. It's a very competitive field and a lot of people are constantly trying to get into it. Also, if you go into retail, anticipate typical retail salaries -- bud tenders don't make shit is what I'm getting at.

Personally I wouldn't bother pursuing a job in the industry, at least not right now. There's a lot of underlying rumblings about the possible collapse of the industry as a whole and I imagine having a cannabis job (lower level -- growing/trimming/selling/etc) on one's resume would be akin to those from the more naked professions -- a big turn off to future employers when one decides they've had enough of the bullshit that goes on in the industry and decide to do something more fulfilling.
METRC here too. Most of the course you take for the handlers card test are focused on METRC. Questions on the test as well. You can complete the course online here as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom