Looking for a WiFi enabled temp/water sensors

• Thread starter AMG63
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
A

AMG63

Wondering if anybody has found any sensors that can relay via WiFi to SMTP ?

I found a few companies but most want the info to hit their web servers then back out
to email address or SMS also many are expensive and force you to buy everything rather
then building piece by piece.

Thanks

Rhilo

Rhilo

I use an APC Master Switch.. It gives you 8 110v outlets, (15A total) each of which are controlled via any telnet or internet link to the APC which has an IP, MAC Addy, ETC and is obviously on a network.. It takes a little geeking out, but its cool as hell to be able to monitor and control all devices in grow room.. I can be in Kansas and turn on or off a dehuey or huey or fan, etc.. You get the picture.. Possibilities are endless.. Im currently developing a very simple GUI so that I can maybe even market my idea and have it be more plug and play ish and user friendly to those without computer skills.. I just stumbled upon the idea and elaborated on it until now I have a hell of a system, it's just major techy and needs to be simplified for lamen.

Ohiofarmer

Ohiofarmer

^ read through a couple of threads i commented on a while back and i listed quite a few systems this can be done with. Just remeber it'll cost a brick to have it done and done right but it's well worth it....google is also amazing for this:p......Take it easy

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

I use a wireless cam and have it pointed at my meters so I can look anytime, was way cheaper than other ways, I also can look at the plants all on my phone. I have a cheap reliant system that calls 3 numbers when temps, water or hydro go out of set levels. Works great.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Hey now that's an interesting idea, woodsman. Using a wireless camera is cheaper than the other routes, eh?

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

400$ security system you can access from your smart phone, that's how I keep an eye on my customer gardens. 4 to 8 camera's and 1/2 with night vision up to 30 feet. I usually always buy the 8 camera for customers because as soon as they can see everything they want it for the house too, so the extra's go outside, front door with audio, lane way, back yard bla bla... one step ahead, technology lets me make house calls from my play room (office)

I tried some of the systems out there but too meany false alarms and cost is high for the good ones. I just found I could get better info by being there using the camera's. All clients have a designated person if a physical presence is needed so I just call and give instructions. I only do dirt for my clients as far to much can go wrong with hydro. So 100% organic just add water.

mrfixit

mrfixit

I've been working on a "from scratch" budget SCADA system for brewery automation/control for just over a year now. It offers local touch screen control as well as a secure-able web interface. We monitor temps, pressure, control valves, motors etc. using semi-standardized probes, hardware controllers etc.
I've been looking at other simplified controllers and the like, to see if a simple yet scalable option exists at an affordable level. There are some folks doing this already but there are still possible options out there.
In the meantime an IP camera or two is a great start as well as some other on/off remote options listed above.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
400$ security system you can access from your smart phone, that's how I keep an eye on my customer gardens. 4 to 8 camera's and 1/2 with night vision up to 30 feet. I usually always buy the 8 camera for customers because as soon as they can see everything they want it for the house too, so the extra's go outside, front door with audio, lane way, back yard bla bla... one step ahead, technology lets me make house calls from my play room (office)

I tried some of the systems out there but too meany false alarms and cost is high for the good ones. I just found I could get better info by being there using the camera's. All clients have a designated person if a physical presence is needed so I just call and give instructions. I only do dirt for my clients as far to much can go wrong with hydro. So 100% organic just add water.
After my robbery, I say it's a better idea to have more eyes on more places than not. This is the much more techy side of things, so that falls under my husband's purview. Sounds like you have it all worked out perfectly.

feslope

feslope

400$ security system you can access from your smart phone, that's how I keep an eye on my customer gardens. 4 to 8 camera's and 1/2 with night vision up to 30 feet
I was going to put cameras on my plants until I read somewhere that our plants were IR sensitive. Have you noticed the IR from the night vision cameras affecting the plant's flower cycle? Thanks in advance.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I never thought about the IR when we set up our OD security cams a few years ago! <smacks forehead> But, neither have I had a problem.

The folks who bought a vacation home down the hill from us and have turned on all OD lights and left them on since December...? That's a problem.

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

I never thought about the IR when we set up our OD security cams a few years ago! <smacks forehead> But, neither have I had a problem.

The folks who bought a vacation home down the hill from us and have turned on all OD lights and left them on since December...? That's a problem.

That's why they make BB gun's, lol

Papa

Papa

Supporter
I use a wireless cam and have it pointed at my meters so I can look anytime, was way cheaper than other ways, I also can look at the plants all on my phone. I have a cheap reliant system that calls 3 numbers when temps, water or hydro go out of set levels. Works great.

hey woodsmaneh, i tried a ubs camera once but had a horrible image from the "flicker" of the hps lamps. have you experienced this? maybe you're using a different camera?

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

Different camera's but I know what you mean. I buy the better IP camera's they start about 150$ but you can get a great deal with buying a kit with 2 to 4 camera's. I also use the pan and tilt camera's to cover the whole room, the technology is getting better. I look at the meters most of the time and can tell what's up from that 90% of the time. I never get excited about some yellowing leaves or some Ph drift it's more for the critical events that happen, like a leak or broken fan or burnt light or woodpeckers.

If you put a shade over the cam you will get a better image and you can also drop the resolution down a bit and it will stop. Some times changing the brightness/contrast will help. Positioning in a less exposed spot can also help.

Most of the issues I think are related to the camera's AGC and auto Iris gain trying to pick a point it likes but never settles so just cycles endlessly, the life of cheap camera processors. :)

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Foscam is what we have for surveillance, and we just got a couple of the pan/tilt w/sound cameras, lots of fun to play with. I do wish those cameras were as weatherproof as the others we use for the outside gardens.

Woodpeckers, woodsmaneh? We get northern flickers doing their thing under the eaves of the house. I have to run outside and yell, "Stop peckin' mah house!"

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

IMGP1348
IMGP1350
IMGP1352
IMGP1353
IMGP1364
I have a pair that have been around for a few years I call them Harvey and Shelly after a guy who is hen pecked that I know. Foscam is good stuff I have used it and like it also.

I also have a bunch of Barred Owls that hang out with me in the summer at night, there is Eddy, Herman, Lilly and Grand Pa. They come to hunt frogs at night on the lawn and allow me to get right up to them and they don`t care.

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

Here are the Munsters in my yard and hunting around the deck, I have hand fed the big one a frog once. I had my welding gloves on and safety glasses, they are noisy and drive the dogs crazy.

:)

IMG 2505
IMG 2509
IMG 2510
IMG 2512
IMG 2515
IMG 2516
IMG 2517
IMG 2519
IMG 2522

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
That is VERY cool, I never would have tried to approach any raptor. :)

Top Bottom