Looking for advice on amending soil to reuse

• Thread starter cnw1970
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
cnw1970

cnw1970

Hey all. I currently grow in promix hp and have reused it for several grows but have had PH issues even after adding dolimite lime for PH buffering. I'm tired of the problems and I'm going to go with a water only grow using Sohum living soil. My question is, after the initial grow and the soil is depleted, what do I need to amend it with so I can reuse it? I live in a cannabis "unfriendly" state and getting a 3.8 cu ft bale of promix shipped to the middle of nowhere about doubles the price. Hence I'm ready to try organic and just amend and reuse. I'll be purchasing 3-1.5 cu ft bags of the Sohum.

coolslayer

coolslayer

Good question.....I never reuse. Somebody here is sure to know the answer though. These guys have saved my bacon for years and years.....

P

PahPahCee

You can just add a dry fertilizer to your soil and call it a day. Build a soil or KISS sell fancy pre made dry amendments. A lot of people use Gaia green (444 & 284 mixes), dr earth (444 & flower girl), and there is also down to earth.

If we want to get really crazy we can do single source amendments but that is a lot more work.

Other good stuff people like to reamend is rock dusts, gypsum, and worm castings. A bag of epsom salt on stand by is also helpful.

TLOnewbie

TLOnewbie

Hey all. I currently grow in promix hp and have reused it for several grows but have had PH issues even after adding dolimite lime for PH buffering. I'm tired of the problems and I'm going to go with a water only grow using Sohum living soil. My question is, after the initial grow and the soil is depleted, what do I need to amend it with so I can reuse it? I live in a cannabis "unfriendly" state and getting a 3.8 cu ft bale of promix shipped to the middle of nowhere about doubles the price. Hence I'm ready to try organic and just amend and reuse. I'll be purchasing 3-1.5 cu ft bags of the Sohum.
Try finding recycled soil 2.2
The Rev
It might be posted somewhere

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
I recycle about 300 gallons using single source amendments purchase in bulk. Wouldnā€™t do it any other way! Couldnā€™t afford to do it any other way! Lol! Recycled 0F and HF for the most part. are use a simple, dated, recipe by some guy named humboldtlocal because I am 80 miles from Humboldt County. I want to do trying to use something that might work in my environment. Itā€™s from a 2010 thread. I like it.

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
I only grow a few plants at a time and reuse and amend soil.

My old soil is a mix of several soils, mostly Fox Farm HF and OF. When mixing a new batch, I add some new soil, earthworm castings, rice hulls, and perlite. Sometimes I add some hardwood twigs to the bottom of the pots. The soil I'm not using either goes into containers for storage or to the outside garden. I have been using Gaia Green All Purpose and Power Bloom, but have been thinking of trying another brand. I also add gypsum, Epsom salts, Azomite and mycorrhizae.

Many commercial soils add organic material that decomposes slowly, such as wood chips. That eventually becomes compost, which is an excellent substance for growing plants.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Have at it! Itā€™s almost as much fun making your own soil as growing your own plants. Add a little every year and before you know it, youā€™ll be up into the two and 300 gallons and having a hell of a good time! I donā€™t think you can go wrong re-amending your soil! but if pro mix is Coco, then I know nothing about Coco! Just a disclaimer!

coolslayer

coolslayer

• Sphagnum peat moss (80-90% by volume)
  • Coir
  • Perlite
  • Ground Limestone (for pH adjustment)
  • Wetting agent
  • Mycorrhizaero

Have at it! Itā€™s almost as much fun making your own soil as growing your own plants. Add a little every year and before you know it, youā€™ll be up into the two and 300 gallons and having a hell of a good time! I donā€™t think you can go wrong re-amending your soil! but if pro mix is Coco, then I know nothing about Coco! Just a disclaimer!
Promix site lists these ingredients:

• Sphagnum peat moss (80-90% by volume)
  • Coir
  • Perlite
  • Ground Limestone (for pH adjustment)
  • Wetting agent
  • Mycorrhizae

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Sounds pretty much like 0F or HF. Never used it.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Will post this just for the hell of it. Doesnā€™t get much simpler! I let it sit a lot longer!
E326AE83 7445 4C15 BFF9 B2B4F1F13B05
E025213A BE14 4BA0 9985 9A9FB7569543

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
I only grow a few plants at a time and reuse and amend soil.

My old soil is a mix of several soils, mostly Fox Farm HF and OF. When mixing a new batch, I add some new soil, earthworm castings, rice hulls, and perlite. Sometimes I add some hardwood twigs to the bottom of the pots. The soil I'm not using either goes into containers for storage or to the outside garden. I have been using Gaia Green All Purpose and Power Bloom, but have been thinking of trying another brand. I also add gypsum, Epsom salts, Azomite and mycorrhizae.

Many commercial soils add organic material that decomposes slowly, such as wood chips. That eventually becomes compost, which is an excellent substance for growing plants.
I forgot to mention that I just tried adding coir to my mix. I'm just experimenting, so I only mixed in about 1/8 coir. I have a young clone growing in this new mix and it seems to be doing okay so far.

cnw1970

cnw1970

You can just add a dry fertilizer to your soil and call it a day. Build a soil or KISS sell fancy pre made dry amendments. A lot of people use Gaia green (444 & 284 mixes), dr earth (444 & flower girl), and there is also down to earth.

If we want to get really crazy we can do single source amendments but that is a lot more work.

Other good stuff people like to reamend is rock dusts, gypsum, and worm castings. A bag of epsom salt on stand by is also helpful.
Yeah, trying to avoid single source. I'll look into build a soil and kis. Thanks!

Lexstar66

Lexstar66

Use Coco Coir. All you have to do is rinse and rebuffer. Maybe add some more Perlite. You can reuse Coco Coir until there is nothing left. Buy the cheapest Coco you can find, add water, filter rinse, buffer with Cal-Mag and let sit for 8 hours. Then filter rinse again and you are done!
When starting with new Coco buffer twice.

Latest posts

Top Bottom