Looking for advice on "Easiest gardening system"

• Thread starter Jimson
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

Jimson

Long story short - physical limitations are becoming an issue with my grows. I want a DIY solution that will work as a long-term solution.

I am currently running both soil and some hydro buckets. Things like flushing and dumping old media are taking more effort than I ever imagined 2 years ago.

I am assuming that hydro is probably the way to go(?) - but which technique?
Right now, I have to carry water to my garden but I have the parts to plumb the room.

Thanks for any help - I have to make a move soon.

Jimson.

M

Mr. Greenthum

I would use some form of Hydroponics. I feel hydroponics is far better then growing in soil because you can give your plants the maximum levels of nutrients possible to gain higher yields at a faster rate.(Precise control of your nutrients is Key) I use a Ebb and Flow hydroponic system and get Killer results. You can buy a Ebb and Flow system for around $250 dollars or you can check out this video on How to build your own ebb n flow system for under $50 dollars.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4k4OC4KPFsg link to my ebb and flow (hydro table) thread.

J

Jimson

Gratitude - More info...

Thanks for your responses.

I am just over two years into modern-era (Sinsemilla) growing. I dialed-in pretty well on soil. My hydro experience so far has been in 3 & 5 gallon buckets. I have used flood & drain, dwc & waterfarms.

Actually, I had not considered drain-to-waste - I have only seen this method used with coir & perlite. :worried I wonder about flushing and reusing the media. How many times can you recycle?

BCNU

M

Mr. Greenthum

Thanks for your responses.

I am just over two years into modern-era (Sinsemilla) growing. I dialed-in pretty well on soil. My hydro experience so far has been in 3 & 5 gallon buckets. I have used flood & drain, dwc & waterfarms.

Actually, I had not considered drain-to-waste - I have only seen this method used with coir & perlite. :worried I wonder about flushing and reusing the media. How many times can you recycle?

BCNU

U should never reuse the mediums way much time do disinfect it.

mittenmedgrow

mittenmedgrow

Coco can be reused a few crops,hydroton can be reused for years. For no waste reuse hydroton is the shit. Not to hard to clean but does require some work. Coco I reuse 2-3 times but theres not much left unless you strip the root ball. I suggest a simple D.T.W. in coco or rockwool. There all a pain in the ass,but thriwng away rockwool would be easiest in my opinion.

G

gudkarma

exactly, mittenmedgrw.

i love my hydroton.... ph neutral, easy to clean, works great, 100% reuseable, and useful in a variety of set ups.

T

tomsawyer

Flood and drain - Hydroton in beds, NO POTS. Straight in hydro trays. I like the Tray Huggers for beds, they are taller. Just fill them with hydroton and you will be amazed how easy it is. Pots are for the birds.

Between runs, its real easy to clean. YOu just pull the plants. and discard. Flood the table, let the root matter float to the top, skim it off. then sanitize with H2O2. (Mad Farmer Oxygenator) (Careful). ready to go again.

Toughest thing would be res changes.

I can't say enough how happy I am after ditching my pots for beds

squarepusher

squarepusher

Coco is a mixture of good performance, and very worry free

sedate

sedate

jimson said:
I am currently running both soil and some hydro buckets. Things like flushing and dumping old media are taking more effort than I ever imagined 2 years ago.

Me too.

I actually swapped out 9 buckets with new solution last night and it took for. fucking. ever.

mrdizzle had an interesting thread using perlite/coco at 4:1, drain-to-waste, pulling lbs down in a MPB style-lighting arrangement:

^^^^ Looks easy and effective too me. No bucket changes anyway.

Top Bottom