Looking for help, first time growing

• Thread starter M757
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M757

M757

Two plants bottom leaves are yellowing.

Plants are about 4 weeks old. Had them under 2 300w velparspectras but moved them under a SF4000 about a week ago. Around the same time I transferred them into 5 gal of ocean forest. I have been using tap water PH’d to 6-6.8

Any ideas what’s going on? I would appreciate any help.

Looking for help first time growing
Looking for help first time growing 2
Edinburgh

Edinburgh

If there autoflowers there shocked bc you do not transplant them you sow your seed in the pot u do ur whole grow in, allso could be shock from transplanting and possible over watering.

HaveApuff

HaveApuff

It's hard to see the size of your plant overall, but in relation to your pots the plants are smaller. A good rule of thumb I use is to try and put your plants into different sized pots as they grow, keeping your plant bigger than your pot. This helps in the plants root development, but just as importantly, it helps prevent over watering issues, as many new growers usually water those larger pots until runoff with more than enough water. Then if you are doing this every 2 days, the soil never dries out and the plant starts to suffer deficiencies. The roots need oxygen too, so depending on how big they really are they may not need water for almost a week...

M757

M757

It's hard to see the size of your plant overall, but in relation to your pots the plants are smaller. A good rule of thumb I use is to try and put your plants into different sized pots as they grow, keeping your plant bigger than your pot. This helps in the plants root development, but just as importantly, it helps prevent over watering issues, as many new growers usually water those larger pots until runoff with more than enough water. Then if you are doing this every 2 days, the soil never dries out and the plant starts to suffer deficiencies. The roots need oxygen too, so depending on how big they really are they may not need water for almost a week...
Ok, thanks for the help. I’m going to wait till they tell me they need water then. Pics for reference

E1DFC7E1 4A15 45BD 9F16 76AD5A5BA844
E8CD9298 D244 4D5C B29A 8EAFD71C5C3D
socks4free

socks4free

When you water you water until all the soil is fully saturated. Then you wait for it to dry out before watering again. The amount is always plentiful. The frequency is not.
For smaller plants in bigger pots like this I personally do not give them nearly that much water, Their root systems aren't that big yet so they can't drink up as much water as a pot that size can hold and could be the cause of the over watering issues we see here.

You also don't want to water till runoff when your relying on your soil for nutrients, only do this if your adding chemical nutrients yourself. Otherwise you will leach your nutrients out.

dirtyoldman

dirtyoldman

Always immediately pluck diseased leaves. That can happen when they touch the soil. You're probably over-watering. Picking up the pot judging by weight is the best way. Plants will use water in different amounts. My plants are over 3 feet tall and are sucking up water at their greatest rate right now. They probably get about 1/3 to 1/2 of a gallon each day and are in 5-gallon pots. Of course if my room was running above it's current 78 degrees they would probably be demanding more water. Don't water until pot is light and then easy does it. Plant looks hungry. There is definitely something wrong with nutes here. My plants at 4 weeks are always much larger than this. This is stunted growth. Happy plants don't droop like that. Buy some Neem oil and learn how to use it. It will keep fungus and pests off the leaves. Everybody gets a few diseased leaves no matter what. Right now, it looks like it's a little dry. I would say this plant would get about a pint of water and no more until it puts on some size.

dirtyoldman

dirtyoldman

This... they look thirsty. Water the entire media until you just see a touch of runoff and the stop and give a good dry cycle.
I never water that heavy. It's too easy to over-water if you soak until run-off. And it promotes root rot if too much muck sits in the bottom of the pot. I know people online have been saying "soak until run-off" for years. But I've been challenging the validity of that from the very beginning. People that water until run-off will start seeing the yellow leaf syndrome. Been there, done that. I give "some water" each day. I simply won't soak them because they don't seem to like it.

dirtyoldman

dirtyoldman

For smaller plants in bigger pots like this I personally do not give them nearly that much water, Their root systems aren't that big yet so they can't drink up as much water as a pot that size can hold and could be the cause of the over watering issues we see here.

You also don't want to water till runoff when your relying on your soil for nutrients, only do this if your adding chemical nutrients yourself. Otherwise you will leach your nutrients out.
Exactly correct. There are people that will give advice here that don't know what they're talking about.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I never water that heavy. It's too easy to over-water if you soak until run-off. And it promotes root rot if too much muck sits in the bottom of the pot. I know people online have been saying "soak until run-off" for years. But I've been challenging the validity of that from the very beginning. People that water until run-off will start seeing the yellow leaf syndrome. Been there, done that. I give "some water" each day. I simply won't soak them because they don't seem to like it.
Over watering is not to much water its lacknof o2. What you are describing is when ppl water to often and don't let the media dry out. Or they are using a soil that is far to dense and does not allow for adequate drainage. Temperature is also an important factor.

Roots do not grow into dry soil... you can create hydrophobic spots and nutrient hot spots with uneven watering.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Exactly correct. There are people that will give advice here that don't know what they're talking about.
Really? I'm open to discussion on this if you feel I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Have a read here first.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

(Removed duplicate link from @Aqua Man's post)

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
when they are small like that especially if i just transplanted i don’t try to soak the whole medium but as each watering is needed i’ll water more of the area and generally after 2/3 waterings the whole medium gets soaked when watered.
i find they will grow faster but it’s generally not the advice i’ll give someone as it’s so easy to screw it up..
anyhoo just my 2 cents.

Microbeast83

Microbeast83

Two plants bottom leaves are yellowing.

Plants are about 4 weeks old. Had them under 2 300w velparspectras but moved them under a SF4000 about a week ago. Around the same time I transferred them into 5 gal of ocean forest. I have been using tap water PH’d to 6-6.8

Any ideas what’s going on? I would appreciate any help.
Tap water is a big no no. It has minerals that you can’t account for not mention chlorine which is toxic to plants. Always use RO water. Ocean Forrest is fortified to supply your plant with everything it needs for the first 20 30 days so don’t add any nutes unless its kelp or something with little to no Macros or NPK levels. Kelp is mainly micro nutrients. I suggest you study the basics use high quality water and do not over water. The best way to get a idea on how often to water is by feel. Pick up your pot after you water then pick it up every day and you’ll feel it become significantly lighter. Generally soil can go at least a few days but if you have a 15 gallon pot and water heavily one could go 5 days or longer. Signs of overwatering are exactly as your plants look droopy slow to no growth possible necrosis and browning. Another thing to consider is light intensity. Your plants are young so ease into.

Last edited:
Microbeast83

Microbeast83

5-10% of the soil volume for potting soils. Small Containers with bigger plants need daily water. Big Containers with Smaller plants need water once a week or so. The idea is to maintain optimal moisture. When I have multiple plants in one large container and cover crop going I can water every day to every other day in small amounts. But the same grower at home with less plants per bed might be able to go a week. Use these guidelines to come up with your own routine.So how much water is 5% or 10%? Use your soil volume to multiply by 5% or 10%For example: 30 Gallons of soil = (30 gallons of soil x 5% = 1.5 gallons of water). That being said i am a big fan of the Earth box and its fool proof watering via wicking action.

Top Bottom