Looking for help, first time growing

• Thread starter M757
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Tap water is a big no no. It has minerals that you can’t account for not mention chlorine which is toxic to plants. Always use RO water. Ocean Forrest is fortified to supply your plant with everything it needs for the first 20 30 days so don’t add any nutes unless its kelp or something with little to no Macros or NPK levels. Kelp is mainly micro nutrients. I suggest you study the basics use high quality water and do not over water. The best way to get a idea on how often to water is by feel. Pick up your pot after you water then pick it up every day and you’ll feel it become significantly lighter. Generally soil can go at least a few days but if you have a 15 gallon pot and water heavily one could go 5 days or longer. Signs of overwatering are exactly as your plants look droopy slow to no growth possible necrosis and browning. Another thing to consider is light intensity. Your plants are young so ease into.
May I ask why you say that. I have the opposite view kinda... while some tap is not suitable most is imo.

SativaBob

SativaBob

I'm a first time grower too and I have my plants in ocean forest. I find giving my plants 4-6 cups of water every 4-5 days is what makes them happy but I do go by the weight of the pots as well as how deep the dry soil is in the pot. I've had succulents in my house for over 20 years and I've found watering cannabis is sort of the same, when they're small anyways. Not rushing waterings and not giving too much water when it's time is key. If you grow these plants big I'd think the water through approach would work, more frequently too, but with smaller plants I do think that's too much water just from the little experience I have. Good luck!

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
in the whole watering scenario you really have to think about gravity and how water works. you also need to think of where the roots are.

these are not new plants, they are fairly well established and then put into a bigger pot (5 gal) so the roots are not on the bottom, and knowing how gravity works, the water is lower than the roots (read @Aqua Man watering post and note the perched water table) and that makes it pretty hard to over water at this point.

dont worry about phing your tap water, the soil you use will buffer it to 6.3-6.8 no matter what you do (mostly).

maybe when you transplanted you put her lower and those leaves are getting "watered" and then sitting on the moist soil.

right now they look like they want some water. i would also raise the light, any time they are not feeling so great raising the light wont hurt them and might stress them a bit less. or dial back the intensity. i think you might have a bit of stress from the light change. as she responds then gradually put it back.

watering when young and in the first pot is very important, understanding why and what you are doing it for, helps. always remember the first root the lady grows goes straight down. the branching and winding around happens as she fills the space with roots. but the first one, first thing, goes down till it cant, when you water gravity makes much of the water hang out at the bottom, the dirt sort of wicks up some and it stays moist a little over the table, but the root goes down, the water goes down so it works out. that is a good reason to put it in a size appropriate pot, the root only has a short ways to go to get to the bottom and start winding around and making a good root ball.

so if you water to keep the top inch, or finger or some other measure damp, down at the bottom, where the good stuff is happening, the little roots are drowning, they cant breathe! so, for me, picking up the pot to check the weight is the best way to know when to water. in soil, water till you see the first drops come out, water slow enough to notice!

when you up-pot, you move the root ball from the bottom to the middle. so watering needs to change but just a little and just a little while. this first water in its new pot is important. you need to water slow and soak it (again, for soil, just till a tiny bit runs out - but slowly so it all gets hit). then let it dry but watch her, she will tell you when to water. after a watering or two it is back to normal.

keep in mind that different plants at different stages have different watering needs. it is difficult to put them on a schedule, when she is growing great she is drinking lots.

all in all, your change of light likely has something to do with this, but she will recover and she looks like she will be a pretty plant after this hic-up

Microbeast83

Microbeast83

If i have to drink it so do they!!! Most tap water is fine it's well water that can be hard.
That really depends. Here in Phoenix its as high as 400 ppm so i kinda disagree. I prefer clean water so i know exactly what the plant is getting. The most experienced growers always use RO water...

Microbeast83

Microbeast83

yes most tap water is actually good I am 40 been growing sense i was 19 and RO water is preferred because it allows us to control exactly what the plant gets and how much of it it gets. Tap water has minerals, fluoride and chlorine amoung other bs. The chlorine can be remedied by setting it out to evaporate but still why. Look go to a grow convention or find someone that you know for a fact has massive experience growing and ill bet you anything RO water is used over tap 99/100 times.

Last edited:
Microbeast83

Microbeast83

May I ask why you say that. I have the opposite view kinda... while some tap is not suitable most is imo.
Ok simple i like to know or have complete control over what the plant gets. More importantly why? Tap has flouride (very bad) plants dont need clean teeth. Chlorine for a reason. I mean lol why. Ive been growing 22 years every experienced grower starts with a clean slate or water they control. Minerals i add at levels i know they want. So i am supposed to assume tap has the perfect ratios of cal mag no no no use filtered water.

Last edited:
Ponky

Ponky

Thats why all the guys i know that have been growing only use RO water. I am 40 been growing sense i was 19 and RO water is preferred because it allows us to control exactly what the plant gets and how much of it it gets. Tap water has minerals, fluoride and chlorine amoung other bs. The chlorine can be remedied by setting it out to evaporate but still why. Look go to a grow convention or find someone that you know for a fact has massive experience growing and ill bet you anything RO water is used over tap 99/100 times.
Everyone I know grows weed. In commercial quantities. With a high level of economic success. None use RO. Because that's too much water to waste. Is it nice to use? Yes. Does anybody have time for that? No. Not when your water tanks require you to keep the tap open that many hours a day just to keep up. If you have good water you use it. RO to waste is not suitable for many scenarios.

Microbeast83

Microbeast83

Everyone I know grows weed. In commercial quantities. With a high level of economic success. None use RO. Because that's too much water to waste. Is it nice to use? Yes. Does anybody have time for that? No. Not when your water tanks require you to keep the tap open that many hours a day just to keep up. If you have good water you use it. RO to waste is not suitable for many scenarios.
Weird i know commercial grows many that use filters. Its really not hard. Not everyone has good water. In a perfect world we know exactly how many ppms of ci or mg our in the water. The best grows i know are organic and meticulously ran. They do use filters again because it gives the greatest amount of control and thats what growing is controling your environment! Also most on here arent big time and can and should start with filtering water. Again plants dont like Fluoride.

Ponky

Ponky

Weird i know commercial grows many that use filters. Its really not hard. Not everyone has good water. In a perfect world we know exactly how many ppms of ci or mg our in the water. The best grows i know are organic and meticulously ran. They do use filters again because it gives the greatest amount of control and thats what growing is controling your environment! Also most on here arent big time and can and should start with filtering water. Again plants dont like Fluoride.
Literally runs into the tanks. Is circulated. Is mixed prior to feeding. Smaller ones of 40 or fewer lights use banks of blue barrels and aeration. That's it. My tap water hardness and PH doesn't change. It's as consistent as the tides. So there is no need to do anything to it. I started just filling my 5 gallon buckets and siphoning them straight into my test tent. Literally no aeration. No waiting. Just pull from tap at 70F. Mix. Use. And the plants are fine. Fluoride is just another naturally account trace element like chlorine. Most places stopped adding it. As the majority of water sources already have sufficient fluoride and when they don't they fortify the tooth paste. I wouldn't worry in the majority of cities. Unless you live near mines. Or have poorly managed water services. Where they have inconsistent mixing and lead. If you live near chemical plants. I wouldn't even drink it.

Microbeast83

Microbeast83

Literally runs into the tanks. Is circulated. Is mixed prior to feeding. Smaller ones of 40 or fewer lights use banks of blue barrels and aeration. That's it. My tap water hardness and PH doesn't change. It's as consistent as the tides. So there is no need to do anything to it. I started just filling my 5 gallon buckets and siphoning them straight into my test tent. Literally no aeration. No waiting. Just pull from tap at 70F. Mix. Use. And the plants are fine. Fluoride is just another naturally account trace element like chlorine. Most places stopped adding it. As the majority of water sources already have sufficient fluoride and when they don't they fortify the tooth paste. I wouldn't worry in the majority of cities. Unless you live near mines. Or have poorly managed water services. Where they have inconsistent mixing and lead. If you live near chemical plants. I wouldn't even drink it.
Word. For me i grow organic and here in Phoenix we have alot of minerals. I understand your point but i still think that for these guys on here doing a room in their house should stick to filters. Even a decent size (Organic grow) can use filters. I used em when i did dwc back in the day. Yea i understand tho that many massive grows can get away with it. Here in AZ many large grows still employ filters theyre just commercial grade. Regardless i still think the best results come from complete control and understanding of whats being given to the plants.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

We use a basic carbon water filter because we want to get rid of anything that we did not plan to add.
It doesn't hurt anything and it's cleaner and tastes nice and crispy clear. That's the other reason we use it. Our water tastes nasty to us. FILTER!
We use one like this:

2021 06 23 20 04 02
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Ok simple i like to know or have complete control over what the plant gets. More importantly why? Tap has flouride (very bad) plants dont need clean teeth. Chlorine for a reason. I mean lol why. Ive been growing 22 years every experienced grower starts with a clean slate or water they control. Minerals i add at levels i know they want. So i am supposed to assume tap has the perfect ratios of cal mag no no no use filtered water.
No your supposed to look at your water report to know what in your tap and account for it. Chlorine and fluoride have a max limit 4ppm for chlorine and 1 ppm for flouride. Chlorine is a micronutrient and flouride is contained in all plants.

I'm not trying to be a dick but there is a big difference between 22 yrs experience and 1 yr of experience repeated 22 times.... so I don't give weight to the time a person has grown. Biut rather thier knowledge and abilities.

Hell if your tap water is under 200 ppm I'd say it's almost 99.9% certain its great for any type of grow... you use RO in your garden?

That's not to say some don't need it or that it's not beneficial.... because it absolutely is. But cost vs gain with an RO I don't see unless needed. But a carbon filter could possibly be justified

Last edited:
Frego

Frego

My experience for autos is the bigger they get the more water you give them

if you saturate the soil every watering from first week in veg
there’s nothing drinking that water because the root mass is so small

like someone said save the headache and time use bottled water like 8L for a dollar add cal mag PH it correctly and grow organically

people say never water around the base but I do until they reach pre flower

my first grow and I stunted my autos due to overwatering There in pre flower at like 12cm.. I hate water

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
I use tap water. I do let it sit for a day... Mostly... Sometimes... I try

But I just try to control environment. I start them in what they need and let them go. No added feedings

For the money, I get more value from tuning environmental functions than tuning in my water, but I'm new to this. What I know is limited.

But ...

I really think the plant needs water because the root ball is no longer at the bottom of the container where the water hangs out, so the "normal" watering is thrown off. She will throw roots all down into the new stuff and be fine. That is the limpness.

The brown leaves are from sitting in the muddy water. They are a bit lower after transplanting.

The change in light happening at the same time it was transplanted stressed her.

Raise or dim the light a bit till she gets herself established in her new home. In future, try not to make those huge changes together... Transplanting is a shocker, and a new stronger different spectrum light is shocking.... So, she's shocked-er

M757

M757

Took everyone’s advice into account and here are some updated pics. Still haven’t watered them since I posted but I think I’m going to water tonight. I got these seeds from bag and have no clue what they are. Turns out their autos since they are flowering at 5 weeks. Thanks for the help!

19D19AF6 0498 4786 AAD5 55243370FADD
F96EDB89 0BA8 437A AF75 75233CB5AC29
AZsunfarmer

AZsunfarmer

That really depends. Here in Phoenix its as high as 400 ppm so i kinda disagree. I prefer clean water so i know exactly what the plant is getting. The most experienced growers always use RO water...
Phoenix water sucks! I just got an RO system under my sink. I feel your pain, hahahaha

Top Bottom