LOOKING FOR HELP ON MY FIRST FLIPPER>

• Thread starter Capulator
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Going to warehouse mode soon and plan on a 6 plant tree flip (12 plants total).

6k overhead 12 600's around the sides. That's the plan.

Would like advice on climate control. I'm gonna need 5 tons per room. Can I exhaust between the rooms and use one 5 ton 24/7? I know this will keep temps constant... but 5 tons are expensive.

All other advice on flippers well received thank you.

-Cap

pork

pork

you could use the a/c to cool both rooms by cycling the air, in a lightproofed manner, between the two rooms..would result in needing more co2 production as both rooms would constantly be at your 1200ppm (or whatever)

think about how the sun hits the building when setting your timers for the flip

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

Cap, I think that one unit for both rooms is a bad way to go. Summer heat will take cooling even in the dark cycle, and the one 5 ton AC would be maxed out at best. You don't want to be in mid cycle on both rooms and have the AC take a shit on you. Two units is the true solution. The unit cost isn't a factor. Knowing no matter what that your cooling is kinking ass every day is worth every penny....

-TF

B

bobbybrown

First of all, I don't believe 5 tons of cooling is enough for 13200 unvented watts, unless you are in a cooler climate. But in socal, it probably won't bring the room below 80. (this is a separate conversation)

The reason you should find the best solution is because saving 40 amps on a 2nd 5 ton will result in hundreds of thousands of dollars at the end of the year. We are in the business of maximizing amperage and square footage.

I believe that 3 units is the true solution here, here is what I think you should do if saving amperage matters to you.

1. Purchase 1 5 ton with 2 zones. This 5 ton can only work for 2 flowering rooms obviously.
2. Purchase 2, 2 ton mini split AC's and put 1 in each room. These will be about 9 amps each and should be programmed to come on only during the lights off cycle. This mini split will be responsible for cooling the hot air from the dehumidifier during the off cycle and will even aid in dehumidification. You can use 1 or 1.5 tons if you're rooms are smaller. And if you have enough power, you can even run the minisplits to augment your primary AC in the lights on cycle...which i think you're going to need.

2 minisplits will cost you less than 6k installed, which is the same price as another 5 ton installed. But with this solution, you're saving about 30 amps. If you used that amperage to turn on more lights, you end up making more money.

No disrespect to TrichromeFan, but I don't believe people should plan on equipment malfunctioning because it doesn't happen often if installed correctly. Instead, you can install a High Temp Shutoff with a line voltage thermostat in between your lighting controller and electrical panel. So if your AC malfunctions, it shuts off the lights.

Another solution which is even cheaper is to use Window AC units for the lights off cycle. You can buy a 2 ton unit for $600. So 2 of them would be $1200 plus installation, maybe 2 grand total. But then you'll run into the issue of venting the hot air from the back of the Window AC. This can be accomplished by positioning the Window AC's, so the back end of the AC's are in a room that can be vented outdoors...Then you'll have the added expense of 2 max fans and a carbon filter. You'll need a lot of cfm's to remove the exchange the air. So $1200 plus installation is about 2k, plus the exhaust fans is another $1200, so using the window AC's is actually only saving you about $3000 after everything is said and done.

I think if money isn't an issue, you use the minisplits, but don't go with 2 5 tons. No disrespect to TrichromeFan, but 2 units isn't the true solution, 3 is.

B

bobbybrown

Another solution is to simply get a Rooftop package unit and zone it out. These are split units and come in sizes higher than 5 tons.

I think a good way to calculate AC's is to calculate the square footage of both of your flower rooms, but the size it so it'll cool both rooms at the same time, but 1 will have lights on. Does that make sense?

So Let's say you have 2 rooms that are X square feet combined. You size the AC, so it can easily cool X square feet, plus the heat load from the equipment.

Mississip Hip

Mississip Hip

this is a 4.5 ton Rheem. I paid around 2300 for it.

Half the cost of a mini split and I got 9 drops.....not 1. The duct work was easy greasy. The only hard part was the plenum at the top and its the thinnest sheet metal you can get. Its almost like Origami folding it....all you need is a hammer and a sawhorse to form with. A little of the 'good' duct tape...voila'! I have it all strapped up with that cheap 2" wide nylon strap thats in the AC section at HD.

Another thing I did was screw 2x4's across the ceiling so I ALWAYS have a place to strap/screw/support/hang from. Its nice never having to hunt a joist or stud...while you are hanging over you plants with a drill in your hand...cussing.....lol....

Mississip Hip

Mississip Hip

fwiw....that cools 12 1k ocho's in 115 degree 8% RH norcal HELL.....lol...

A humidifier is a must......but I think you already got a jammin humey....huh, CAP? I saw a post back last year or something with your set up, I believe....

K

kushsmoker30

2 ton mini for $1300, i kno they had em for $1000 a few months back my buddy bought 1 n loves it.....ask em for a deal if u get more then 1, dude seems ku. i like mini splits cuz they don't bring in any outside air= no spider mites= no spraying anything=great tasting meds/hash/wax. that company is in LA, kingersons.com got a lot more if u want to have shipped.

is it 13200 watts in 1 room or is that gonna be between both room 6600 watts per room?
im curious bout the plant/light placement, would like to know ur plan as far a set up cuz i been thinking of mixing hoods with a few bear bulbs.

fwiw....that cools 12 1k ocho's in 115 degree 8% RH norcal HELL.....lol...

A humidifier is a must......but I think you already got a jammin humey....huh, CAP? I saw a post back last year or something with your set up, I believe....

what temp can u get ur room down to on a 115 degree day?

bobbybrown i like ur thinking.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Cap,Ask cannabis john over in his A/C thread, hes in socal and has the hookups on ac units as well as being a tech and a good guy.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Cap,Ask cannabis john over in his A/C thread, hes in socal and has the hookups on ac units as well as being a tech and a good guy.

this sounds good.

I am not leaning towards the flip anymore because if I grow trees I am gonna need to veg them a bit in the flower room. I am also now looking at water cooled to save some power.

Also, I have a 5 ton portable already and a 2 ton mini split... so I dont know what the fuck I'm gonna do... Shit that's like 10k I already spent.

Mississip Hip

Mississip Hip

2 ton mini for $1300, i kno they had em for $1000 a few months back my buddy bought 1 n loves it.....ask em for a deal if u get more then 1, dude seems ku. i like mini splits cuz they don't bring in any outside air= no spider mites= no spraying anything=great tasting meds/hash/wax. that company is in LA, kingersons.com got a lot more if u want to have shipped.

is it 13200 watts in 1 room or is that gonna be between both room 6600 watts per room?
im curious bout the plant/light placement, would like to know ur plan as far a set up cuz i been thinking of mixing hoods with a few bear bulbs.

what temp can u get ur room down to on a 115 degree day?

bobbybrown i like ur thinking.

I dont know. I never go under 75 and it will do that with a normal cycle. Its not stressing the unit by cycling too fast in other words. Its been doing it for 4 years. Never had a prollum.
I veg in 5 inch pots under 2 600's for a few weeks so that my time in veg , in the big room, is kept to a minimum.
I have a 4 ton for my house and a 4.5 ton for my garage.:confused:

treebark1950

treebark1950

This is what I'd do cap:

7.5 ton chil king 3 phase chiller

2 hydro innovations 5 ton air handlers

Or 7.5 ton ac and zone controls and dampners with air handler... CJ can do this for pretty cheap and done well IMO

Cooling for both rooms...day and night

Mini split for veg room...veg room 2 1000w on mover covers 10 by 10 for me... Do trees like me and run to flip flop rooms 4 weeks apart...

Random thought of mine

S

swisscheese

Do a manual flip flop if you are physically able and money is tight. Have a room run 24/7 and you move the plants on casters or carry to another dark room and you would have a set schedule for 1 crop until you could afford to pimp it out proper!

purpleberry

purpleberry

Another idea for the flip, would be to veg all the plants in one room and then move them to both for the flower. Not ideal but depends on how you do it, it could work. Or switch your cords around and flip flop half the bulbs on half off in each room just for veg and swap your cords back for flower.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
I may end up mirroring a room I have now except with more spacing. I will be doing 18 plants. 9 in an RDWC of some kind, and 9 coco/hydroton or coco perlite.

12 1k, 8 600's. I had another layout for a flip that woudl have been sweet. I would pull down 2 plants a week (kind of tlike an assembly line system)... but if I did that I would have to go all coco and would not be able to veg in the flower room to get them bigger. However, as long as I kept strains that were 60 day finishers, I could run as many types as I wanted... I figure I could get between 2-4 elbows per week this way harvesting 2 plants/week.

This is what I'd do cap:

7.5 ton chil king 3 phase chiller

2 hydro innovations 5 ton air handlers

Or 7.5 ton ac and zone controls and dampners with air handler... CJ can do this for pretty cheap and done well IMO

Cooling for both rooms...day and night

Mini split for veg room...veg room 2 1000w on mover covers 10 by 10 for me... Do trees like me and run to flip flop rooms 4 weeks apart...

Random thought of mine

this was exactly my initial thought. I'll post the schematic I was thinking of for layout. With the veg room, 2 flower rooms, and the drying/trim rooms it is around a 30x30 ft. footprint for 8 trees in each room, 15x 600's for light all around each plant and 8x 1k over head. Total plant count 32 at any given time. We have about 20 members so that's just about right.

Hit me up TB I still have that merit for your test if you havent picked it up yet. My wilmas all seem to lean more to the colombian side. big fat pistils and getting large. These are the ones I planted up a few weeks before the others I started at the same time as you, so we will get a little sneak preview.

Mississip Hip

Mississip Hip

My buddy has ice boxes. He cools them with pondwater from out of his pond in his front yard.

It pulls whatever amps the pump pulls....thats it. No waste. No rez.

I dont know if anything rad like that is an option....just throwing it out there.

evu80

evu80

this is a 4.5 ton Rheem. I paid around 2300 for it.

Half the cost of a mini split and I got 9 drops.....not 1. The duct work was easy greasy. The only hard part was the plenum at the top and its the thinnest sheet metal you can get. Its almost like Origami folding it....all you need is a hammer and a sawhorse to form with. A little of the 'good' duct tape...voila'! I have it all strapped up with that cheap 2" wide nylon strap thats in the AC section at HD.

Another thing I did was screw 2x4's across the ceiling so I ALWAYS have a place to strap/screw/support/hang from. Its nice never having to hunt a joist or stud...while you are hanging over you plants with a drill in your hand...cussing.....lol....
did you install the unit as well? I need a 7.5 ton unit myself and Im not sure which brand to get. Rheem or Goodman.

Mississip Hip

Mississip Hip

I did everything but sweat and charge the lines. I got a A/C man to come out for that.

xrob415x

xrob415x

Hey Cap I set framed out and my cuzin did the electric work on a 16k flip. The HVAC guy had one 5 ton cooling both rooms with electric dampers and relays. I was there during testing and it seemed it worked great.

Top Bottom