Looking For Input On a 4x4!!

• Thread starter TieDyeTerps
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TieDyeTerps

TieDyeTerps

Whats up growfam! New on the site and back in the indoor game after an extended hiatus due to, well, life and kids and all that. Anyway, it's been a minute for me and just like when I was 14, I have the time, energy and drive to stop handing my money to another guy for something I enjoy growing myself. Anyway, I'm not redesigning the wheel here. I am planning on starting a run of autos in a 4x4 under an LED(currently looking at the SF-4000, GC ROI-E680, or similar. DEF want input here). I am leaning towards a coco blend as a medium mainly because using slow release nutes in the mix and then top dressing to amend seems to be the simplest way to go. At least while I get the rest of my environment dialed. The plan is to eventually add another tent to run Photos, but I want to get my feet wet before I jump back into the pool. I am really interested in hearing opinions on, well, everything that goes into the grow I described. I know the actual items I need to feel comfortable getting things rollings, but I am way behind the times as far as what specific brands, or product types will best and most affordably help me accomplish that goal. For example, I am trying to decide which grow tent I want to order. I don't want to break the bank but I don't want a grow tent with shit zippers, no structural strength and light leaks left and right. I've seen the Gorilla Grow Tents, but are they worth the price difference when compared to something like a Vivosun 4x4? I'm more concerned with value then actual cost with the majority of the items, particularly the semi permanent fixtures like tent, lighting, ventilation, etc, but I would still like to save money wherever possible and then reallocate those funds to other areas. A few other things I would love info on is potting and germination, particularly for autos. I was thinking about popping the seeds straight into the coco blend in either 3 or 5 gallon fabric smart pots. My reason being that since I'm growing autos and am on a finite schedule I don't have to worry about transplanting and shocking the girls. They only have so much time to do their growing, I don't want to make them use any of that time getting re acclimated. Aside from the hardware input, I am really hoping to get some feedback on what your suggestions are for slow release organics to mix with the coco and (likely)perlite. Again, this is a family garden so taste and quality, not yield or profit margin, are the driving factors. The last thing I really need first hand input on is genetics. I know what strains i prefer and the few people who will get medicine from this grow prefer. But finding the versions or facsimile strains of those in an autoflower is easier said then done. I think I more-so want to find a reliable seed supplier that has selection and dependability. I know that's a lot of info to absorb or to even begin to give feedback on, so I will likely break it down as the time to order certain items comes closer, but this is my basic starting plan. Any input or flashing red warning signs I have overlooked feel free to let me know. Time to go dab some tahoe OG budder and turn in for the night. Hope to hear from some of you all soon! (~):-}

TripsRabbit

TripsRabbit

Couldn't read it all. Try going back and adding a few paragraph breaks like this.

Grow tents all have a few light leaks. As long as you don't have really bright light in the same room as your flower tent when it's supposed to be dark for your flowering plants a few light leaks will cause zero problems.

What I look for in buying a tent is weather it has all metal construction including the corner pieces. The plastic corner pieces break after a few assemblies.

SSgrower

SSgrower

You can't "pop those seeds right into the coco, Solo cups 1st. Everyone else can elaborate.

tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

slow release organics to mix with the coco and (likely)perlite

Down to Earth has some good mixes and you can save some money in the long run by getting 25 or 50 lb bag. Their are lots of threads on lights for a 4x4 so I would check those out. Best of luck.

Goblinkiller

Goblinkiller

I would recommend homebox tent. Nice quality and solid sturdy stoff.
It would be clever to consider two 240 w or 320 lights in the tent.

Slow release nute could cause trouble later on. Dont Know how it is with autos

TieDyeTerps

TieDyeTerps

I would recommend homebox tent. Nice quality and solid sturdy stoff.
It would be clever to consider two 240 w or 320 lights in the tent.

Slow release nute could cause trouble later on. Dont Know how it is with autos
I will def look into it! I've seen some reviews of low quality tents and I am trying to avoid having to purchase a replacement tent after a single grow or two. I like to take care of my equipment so if it does its part, i'll do mine.

And I was actually thinking about 2 SF-2000's in lieu of 1 4000. The more I consider it, the more logical it seems.

I am open to cost effective and proven grow mediums. I am ultimately trying to avoid adding too many elements, too quickly, to my girls regiment.

Whiskydrunk420

Whiskydrunk420

Couldn't read it all. Try going back and adding a few paragraph breaks like this.

Grow tents all have a few light leaks. As long as you don't have really bright light in the same room as your flower tent when it's supposed to be dark for your flowering plants a few light leaks will cause zero problems.

What I look for in buying a tent is weather it has all metal construction including the corner pieces. The plastic corner pieces break after a few assemblies.
I went cheap with my tents, there was no way in hell I was dishing out 400$ for a tent I've got some pin holes in them but I don't care . Just watch out for vivosun , they will burn your house down with the cheap ass fire starting fans . I just started using earth dust nutes and it's been pretty easy going so far , it beats mixing nutes all the time just add water .

Lisa22

Lisa22

I went cheap with my tents, there was no way in hell I was dishing out 400$ for a tent I've got some pin holes in them but I don't care . Just watch out for vivosun , they will burn your house down with the cheap ass fire starting fans . I just started using earth dust nutes and it's been pretty easy going so far , it beats mixing nutes all the time just add water .
whisky D - I just got a couple of the vivosun fans and they broke right away as far as rotation but they still but out a lot of air and so I am using them w/o the rotation. Sure don't want to burn my house down - what happened with yours?

ThatRapperWeed

ThatRapperWeed

You can't "pop those seeds right into the coco, Solo cups 1st. Everyone else can elaborate.
You can pop seeds in coco but yes, do it in solo cups full of coco.

Aside from that, my Vivisun 5x5 tent has been good. There are pinhole light leaks but realistically you should be light proofing your room, not your tent.

I'm looking into coco as well but I'm very interested in advanced nutrients ph perfect Sensi Coco Grow and Sensi Coco Bloom for nutes. You'd have to feed daily but if your water is 5.0ph-8.5ph, the nutes will ph lock it in to 5.8-6.2 for up to a week. You don't need ph up or down. They have a calculator on their site and you can print your personalized feeding schedule from it. Might be easier than figuring out a good slow release mix.

If you start in 3 or 5 gal pots you'll do 2 things. 1. You'll make watering a little harder to dial in (you don't want stagnant water sitting in the bottom of the pot.)
2. You'll potentially slow growth a tiny bit. This is because when you start in a solo cup or small cube then move to 1 gallon then 3 or 5 gallon, is because the smaller pots dry out better and the roots are exposed to much more oxygen. This is vital in the early stages of growth. You can absolutely start in 3 or 5 but you'll get better root structure with smaller pots first. If you ever want tips with transplanting, hit me up, my plants are usually back to growing in 24-48 hours after transplant.

Grownsince95

Grownsince95

ā¤šŸŒ±ā¤šŸ¤˜šŸ˜āœŒ
Supporter
So many darn tents on the market but the most important thing is go to the reviews and try to find out about the zippers. Forget all the metal corner bracket talk, 95% have those. Any reviews that say the zippers are cheap, pass on the tent. It's the #1 most important thing šŸ‘.

Two SF 2000 is a good choice except they have jacked the price in the last few months like crazy. Definitely not as attractive right now imo.

And my advice would be not get plants going while you dial your environmentals in after... that's completely bass ackwards imo. Your plants will thank you for it later šŸ‘ā¤šŸŒ±ā¤

Goodthingsgrow

Goodthingsgrow

I have 2 Gorillas. The fabric and the zippers are thick and strong. I did have one zipper issue. The second last tooth broke. I put a pin at the end to stop me from going too far. Before the pin placement, I zipped it off twice. I had to lightly pry the zipper apart and slide the handle back to the beginning then zip it back together. This happened recently so I havenā€™t contacted Gorilla about it yet.
As far as light leaks; I donā€™t see any if itā€™s zipped and velcroed properly.
The Gorilla frame is not bad but could be better.
Overall, I would buy again.
I also have a smaller Secret Jardin. It is still a good tent. I actually havenā€™t had any issues with this one. The material and zippers are thinner but if one is careful I see it lasting a long time.
The frame is sturdy too. Not much smaller in diameter than the Gorilla.
Iā€˜d buy this brand again too.

599D5BD3 4C2C 4EEF BC72 4486F7091924
F17FF307 04EC 4FD6 81F5 CE99D90B2766
ThatRapperWeed

ThatRapperWeed

So many darn tents on the market but the most important thing is go to the reviews and try to find out about the zippers. Forget all the metal corner bracket talk, 95% have those. Any reviews that say the zippers are cheap, pass on the tent. It's the #1 most important thing šŸ‘.

Two SF 2000 is a good choice except they have jacked the price in the last few months like crazy. Definitely not as attractive right now imo.

And my advice would be not get plants going while you dial your environmentals in after... that's completely bass ackwards imo. Your plants will thank you for it later šŸ‘ā¤šŸŒ±ā¤
Really good point, I did that and caused some problems cause it took
I have 2 Gorillas. The fabric and the zippers are thick and strong. I did have one zipper issue. The second last tooth broke. I put a pin at the end to stop me from going too far. Before the pin placement, I zipped it off twice. I had to lightly pry the zipper apart and slide the handle back to the beginning then zip it back together. This happened recently so I havenā€™t contacted Gorilla about it yet.
As far as light leaks; I donā€™t see any if itā€™s zipped and velcroed properly.
The Gorilla frame is not bad but could be better.
Overall, I would buy again.
I also have a smaller Secret Jardin. It is still a good tent. I actually havenā€™t had any issues with this one. The material and zippers are thinner but if one is careful I see it lasting a long time.
The frame is sturdy too. Not much smaller in diameter than the Gorilla.
Iā€˜d buy this brand again too.
Keep us updated on what Gorilla says. If be pissed if the zipper broke at that price.

coherent

coherent

One of mine is an AC Infinity. I'm happy with it. Well made and their prices are reasonable. They match well with their inline fans which are popular.

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

I grow autoflowers, i have a hydrocrunch tent from home depo a good tent, you want to grow autoflowers under blue light bc full spec has red and ir in it, it makes autoflowers go into flower prematurely, you need a 2 cycle light, i have a viperspectra 600w 2 cycle reflector series, once your plants are ready for bloom just turn off blue and turn on bloom, if you want to run photoperid plants you run them under blue for awhile then turn on bloom this is full spec and will blow your photoperid plants up, when your ready to flower turn off blue and cut light cycle, what im saying is with this light you can grow both autoflowers and photoperid plants, have 2 $150 delivered, if i was only growing photoperid plants i would go with spider farmer bc it has better diods.

20210203 154911
SSgrower

SSgrower

Just purchased a 450w Viparspectra reflector series and will daisy chain w/600w Viparspectra reflector series 2 cycle myself. Good luck with the grow, at least we have "New supplies" to work with once they are purchased. Thanks for the view @Edinburgh .

Latest posts

Top Bottom