Looking for LED’s

• Thread starter jibs
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
jibs

jibs

I'm in the market for some good LEDs something Affordable I keep hearing about cob and Craig what is the best

WankirA

WankirA

Cobs are single chip LEDs usually with a lens and are generally good but because a single light unit they have smaller footprint (but canopy penetration is good)
Boards are good too (though penetration is not always the best) but panels appear to give best distribution and penitration.
So focus research on light colour temp (cri): certain colours better for veg (blue 4000+k, others better for flower (reds 3/3.5k) so you want to match light to need.
And wattage (looking for around 50w (actual) power per square ft if you can manage.
If doing both veg n flower with same light maybe a mix.

Usually recommend starting with your budget and size of space, then function.
Hope that helps..

Btw no idea what 'Craig' refers to.!?!

jibs

jibs

Cobs are single chip LEDs usually with a lens and are generally good but because a single light unit they have smaller footprint (but canopy penetration is good)
Boards are good too (though penetration is not always the best) but panels appear to give best distribution and penitration.
So focus research on light colour temp (cri): certain colours better for veg (blue 4000+k, others better for flower (reds 3/3.5k) so you want to match light to need.
And wattage (looking for around 50w (actual) power per square ft if you can manage.

Hope that helps..

Thank you I've been reading for a couple weeks on them and it's a really hard choice to make I have a kind 750 and two lecs on both sides I love the quality I get just would like to add another led possible take out the lecs my budget at the moment is 300 to 550 I keep hearing about these spider farmers and mars and kings seems like a lot of people like them

WankirA

WankirA

Kind lights are a bit hit n miss from what I can tell.
Some rave about them but lots of neg points, sadly.

Mars H have some good hardware but people facing part is awful...

If you are just filling in canopy, you could do worse than adding a cob light!!
Great depth, powerful and ideal for 'additional' lighting...
Cheaper too.
Some great diy options too if you wanna save a few quid

jibs

jibs

Hope that helps..

Kind lights are a bit hit n miss from what I can tell.
Some rave about them but lots of neg points, sadly.

Mars H have some good hardware but people facing part is awful...

If you are just filling in canopy, you could do worse than adding a cob light!!
Great depth, powerful and ideal for 'additional' lighting...
Cheaper too.
Some great diy options too if you wanna save a few quid
thank you I appreciate you I mm going to look into all of this a little later see what makes sence

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

OK great do you recommend any of that or tried and true
If the board is LM301 b or H, it should have the samsung chips. The top of the line Kingbrite board would have the LM301H + Cree 660nm + Osram UV/IR chip. Mine have the Samsung LM301H chips + the cheaper 660nm. To me, the panels are cheap and easily replaceable. So far, I've been extremely happy with mine.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

What kinda space are you looking at? I'm partial to HLG maybe because I have one but I have no complaints with it. I have heard decent things about kingbrite and more recently a few concerns non the less bang for buck kingbrite I would say is a good option. Bit for a little more you can get HLG

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

What kinda space are you looking at? I'm partial to HLG maybe because I have one but I have no complaints with it. I have heard decent things about kingbrite and more recently a few concerns non the less bang for buck kingbrite I would say is a good option. Bit for a little more you can get HLG

You could go HLG.

HLG lights use the same LM301b or h chip (depending on when it was made) and they are good lights. However all their components come from the same place the Kingbrite components come from. HLG lights do cost more but you would likely have an easier time with a US based company for warranty issues if you live in the United States. All this has been well discussed in the "Chinese LED thread here:

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

You could go HLG.

HLG lights use the same LM301b or h chip (depending on when it was made) and they are good lights. However all their components come from the same place the Kingbrite components come from. HLG lights do cost more but you would likely have an easier time with a US based company for warranty issues if you live in the United States. All this has been well discussed in the "Chinese LED thread here:
The difference is the Osram vs epistar and some reports of using mixed bin diodes.

I do have an HLG 600

But like you say nothing wrong with kingbright but at the same time there are some differences

jibs

jibs

If the board is LM301 b or H, it should have the samsung chips. The top of the line Kingbrite board would have the LM301H + Cree 660nm + Osram UV/IR chip. Mine have the Samsung LM301H chips + the cheaper 660nm. To me, the panels are cheap and easily replaceable. So far, I've been extremely happy with mine.
The difference is the Osram vs epistar and some reports of using mixed bin diodes.

I do have an HLG 600

But like you say nothing wrong with kingbright but at the same time there are some differences
I'm definitely looking at the HLG's for surI'm definitely looking at the HLGs I was thinking of getting some of the smaller ones and just getting more of them which one is best for bloom and thank you

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I do have an HLG 600

Kingbrite sells boards with Osram diodes but they also sell the boards with the Epistar 660nm + UV + IR. While there isn't an argument over Osram being better than the Epistar because they are ... you do have the choice to pick which you prefer at Kingbrite. For me, the Epistar has worked fine. There's a pretty big difference in price between HLG and Kingbrite. There are pros and cons to consider when comparing the boards side by side. For me, the choice was easy ... I went the cheaper route knowing full well that an over-seas warranty could be a hassle, and that If a panel goes out, it's an easy replacement. I have other lighting I can use while I wait for a replacement panel to arrive.

Make the choice you are most comfortable with. You would be happy with either to be honest.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I'm definitely looking at the HLG's for surI'm definitely looking at the HLGs I was thinking of getting some of the smaller ones and just getting more of them which one is best for bloom and thank you

You can buy two 240w units cheaper than one 480w unit. For some reason, the 480w meanwell driver costs almost 3x's the 240w meanwell driver. You'll save a few dollars and have more flexibility with your lights by going with the smaller units.

Top Bottom