Looking for recommendations on best trimming shears.

• Thread starter Dstyles997
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
frebo

frebo

I have one of their sharpeners which really helps. I just cut my finger with a snub nose pair cutting my Tempranillo grapes to help keep the fruit flies down this fall. I thought about making juice and add it to a tea for the garden. Comments please?!!!

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Fiskars suck... lol, just kidding, I'm sure they are fine for people but I hate them.

I've had 2 pairs of these forever, they're probably over 10 years old each. This exact model. Still sharper than anything in the house and tight as the day I bought them. And no annoying squeaky spring to piss me off lol.

This is pretty much what most trimmers I've seen in BC use for decades. Bonsai shears.
Sec 0503

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Fiskars suck... lol, just kidding, I'm sure they are fine for people but I hate them.

I've had 2 pairs of these forever, they're probably over 10 years old each. This exact model. Still sharper than anything in the house and tight as the day I bought them. And no annoying squeaky spring to piss me off lol.

This is pretty much what most trimmers I've seen in BC use for decades. Bonsai shears.View attachment 1030720

Lol. The fiskars i linked are more like yours.

8F64B496 6245 4281 A34F 3BB03BB28338

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Lol. The fiskars i linked are more like yours.

View attachment 1030721

Yeah those I could use lol... Its generally the spring return shears I dont like, though I really do like those ones I posted. They have a nice long pointed tip that makes it easy to dig in at the petiole bases. I used a few different kinds back in the day but anytime we hired pro trimming crews they always used springless bonsai shears, once I got a pair I never went back to the spring type. These give you so much more control I find, and arent hard on the hands at all. If anything I find them easier on the hand after a few days of non stop trimming.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Yeah those I could use lol... Its generally the spring return shears I dont like, though I really do like those ones I posted. They have a nice long pointed tip that makes it easy to dig in at the petiole bases. I used a few different kinds back in the day but anytime we hired pro trimming crews they always used springless bonsai shears, once I got a pair I never went back to the spring type. These give you so much more control I find, and arent hard on the hands at all. If anything I find them easier on the hand after a few days of non stop trimming.

I agree. And with Mrs. MMG being a cosmetologist we also use hair scissors. This is the old cheap pair i keep on my smoking tray.

80D094C3 48E0 4868 9359 AC048516D0B2

FourthCity

FourthCity

I also agree about the fiskar's, they're great. I like these with the non stick coating for removing buds from the stems and all the fine trimming.
https://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-154110-1001-Non-stick-Titanium-Softgrip/dp/B005NAGBC8
It doesn't need to be scraped clean as often as normal scissors and because its small, light weight, and foregoes the spring, there is much less hand fatigue during trimming. I use a big pair of cutco's for harvesting/chopping branches off and a small hack saw for the main stems.

I have issues using big heavy shears and the spring style scissors because the extra weight and the resistance of the spring is enough to really wear my hand out during a long trimming session.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I also agree about the fiskar's, they're great. I like these with the non stick coating for removing buds from the stems and all the fine trimming.
https://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-154110-1001-Non-stick-Titanium-Softgrip/dp/B005NAGBC8
It doesn't need to be scraped clean as often as normal scissors and because its small, light weight, and foregoes the spring, there is much less hand fatigue during trimming. I use a big pair of cutco's for harvesting/chopping branches off and a small hack saw for the main stems.

I have issues using big heavy shears and the spring style scissors because the extra weight and the resistance of the spring is enough to really wear my hand out during a long trimming session.

I have been wanting to try the titanium to see how much better it is.

tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

Reached out to fiskars for some replacement springs and they said they are backed up on processing warrantees and it will take 25-30 days. Just ordered the springless fiskars and the trim bin as recommended here. Thanks yal.

Tech4523

Tech4523

I will say I hate the spring loaded fiskers as well. This is my 1st time trimming and well I will be investing in more like the bonsai scissors that been posted above lol. I mean they got the job done but my hand didn't like me. And that was only 8.5 oz to dry trim lol now that I have a few pounds to do I will be looking at other options lol...also having multiple pairs and a glass of alcohol so I can switch quickly once gummed up

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
I will say I hate the spring loaded fiskers as well. This is my 1st time trimming and well I will be investing in more like the bonsai scissors that been posted above lol. I mean they got the job done but my hand didn't like me. And that was only 8.5 oz to dry trim lol now that I have a few pounds to do I will be looking at other options lol...also having multiple pairs and a glass of alcohol so I can switch quickly once gummed up
You can buy a scrubber box to keep your shears clean my trim bin kit came with one works great I did 1 lb in a short time . Od

ezenzyme

ezenzyme

Fiskers are my second choice, Chikamisa being my first choice. Riveted snips are better, the bolted ones rely on the nut to create your blade tension and seems to give tons of trouble if not cleaned constantly. Hair dressers use riveted snips with no spring and they use snips all day. Its nice to have both tho because it works different muscles on your hand and some fiskers for buckin'. Keep em clean, wash in alcohol daily, disassemble the fiskers to clean, and one drop of olive oil on the hinge.

Latest posts

Top Bottom