looking for some help PLEASE..

• Thread starter JAWS
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
JAWS

JAWS

hello there:)
ok so im looking for a light ring/flash ring and was wondering if any body uses one and how they like them....

haveing a very tough time finding one for the cam that i have and im thinking i may have to buy a whole new set-up, but i would prefer to just buy the RING to fit my cam..

CAM INFO..

KONICA MINOLTA
DIMAGE Z10

canon and nikon seem to be the easyest to fit with a ring but damn there pricey as hell....
thanks in advance:)

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Does it have a hotshoe for an external flash? If not, that's really gonna be tough to get a good fit. This is reminding me of why we got both a Canon Rebel and an Olympus C-8080. You can do lots and lots of things with the Canon, especially with being able to change out lenses, but you can't fucking find underwater rigs that don't cost more than the camera itself! We ended up getting the entire Oly AND the UW housing, external flash AND the housing for the flash for less than an Ikelite housing for the Canon Rebel, never mind being able to use an external flash or protecting it from the water.

But, I also have a good friend who does quite a lot of UW photography, and like he says, ya get what ya pay for.

I forgot why I'm rambling. I was hoping to find you a decently priced flashring. I betcha frostedlove or... was it Doobie Duck who's another photog here? Maybe hit one of them up.

JAWS

JAWS

hello SEA:)
yet again you have helped me out, WHEN THE TIME COMES i'll get ya back my friend..

ok so i think i got like $600.00 to spend on a set up so whats good set up thats around that price that you know of....

im sure im gonna get a canon of some type it seems to fix with everything, hopefuly i can get a good cam and RING for that price...
thank you:)

P.S. i look around and see if i can find those two if there still here..

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Either camera, unless you can find them used, is gonna cost you more than that $600. Unless... (been eBaying quite a lot lately, getting some incredible deals). What you want is a camera that has the hot shoe so you can use the external flash, looks like the DiMage doesn't have a hot shoe (I have the same problem with my Oly C-740).

Are you more interested in something that will allow lens changes, or are you ok with only being able to use screw-on optics? That's one of the big differences between our Oly C-8080 and the Canon Rebel (the Rebel is old, it's all of 6MP and I can really see the difference of 2MP between the pix taken with it and the Oly). Also, the viewfinder of the Canon is a true lensed optical (whatever the hell that's called, damn if I can remember, you've gotta remember I'm not a photog), whereas the Oly is all digital, which means it has to be on for you to see anything.

Lemme do some searching for yaz.

Body and accessories, would need at least one or two lenses with this, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a bidding war on this one.

OH DUDE! You need to jump on this NOW, UNDER $150 makes this camera a fucking steal!!!!

My husband told me he got such a great deal on this exact same camera for $300!

Off to find an external flash for ya!

Macro flash ring, for close-up work:

I think this is the best external flash for you unless you're specifically looking to do macros:

You can buy the camera and the (2nd listed) external flash for well under $600.

JAWS

JAWS

the cam i have is a wonderful cam its the operater who stink on ice 4real, but your right it is not able to handle a FLASH RING...

my main concern after being able to take a good pic is the fact that i can use a FLASH RING with it, the flash ring part is the only reason im looking to get a new cam....

love the way subby capture his buds umm now im not wanting to spent nearly that much on a set up but i would like to have a FLASH RING on hand that works with the cam i have...

if i cant get what i need for the 6 then i guess i'll need to learn how to use the LIGHT thats around my plants at any given time, the lighting is whats killing me....

with the flash on i just get flash pics and nobody likes those and if i turn the flash off i get dull hard to see pic, for me its all about knowing what lights to use is in any given pic shoot.....i do at times get really good pics but there few and far between and im just sick of taking pic after pic after pic just to get one or two thats iseable....
peace:)

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I think that perhaps at this point, you may do well learning more about overall photog lighting. I just had to do this so we could list a diamond ring I'm trying to sell on eBay. I couldn't even get it in focus, and then I started searching on how to photograph fine jewelry and (re)learned about how to use a light-box. Spent an hour or so rigging up a translucent plastic bin, white paper and a few daylight CFLs (which I always have on hand because I veg with them), et voila, beautiful, gorgeous pictures of a ring nobody wanted to buy.

It doesn't have to be a flash ring, by the way. You're getting into high quality/high cost photog equipment there. External flash, bounced off a reflective surface or a good parabolic reflector will also do the trick, it just takes some setting up. My dad's the real photog of the family, hell, he studied with Ansel Adams before he passed. I've asked that he will all of his slides to me, pissed him off for bringing it up, but damn if I'm gonna let them end up being thrown out!

You have an excellent camera in the DiMage, I almost bought that very camera several years ago. Learn how to use the manual features and I bet you'll start taking better photos. I learned quite a lot by joining a photog site called Digital Grin because my father isn't a very good teacher at all.

Looking at some of the specs for your camera on Steve's Digi Cam Reviews, yours has fully manual capabilities (outside that external flash thing, yours is like my older Oly in that any external flash is triggered by the built-in flash, not via hot shoe).
http://www.steves-digicams.com/came...e-z10/konica-minolta-dimage-z10-review-2.html

Uh oh, looking at more reviews and specs, it appears that there is no external flash, let alone flash RING, made to use with this unit.

JAWS

JAWS

ok so if i were to get the cam in link one and the ring from link two would i be set to take really good close ups with great clearaty, after some practice of cource...or am i still looking for an external FLASH?.

AHHHH OK I SEE, dang it.

ya the cam i got is a good one and ive had it for a few years now, bought it brand new and payed like $475.00 for it at the time....

i can take good pics at times but the close shots are what im after and i just cant seem to get the Quality pics that i want from those distances..

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
If you buy both units, you'll pretty much be set up for most of your photography needs. For really super close-up macros the Oly would need an additional macro lens, I think it's a 58mm ring (none of the filters or lenses I got for the C-740 fit the Canon or C-8080).
OH DUDE! You need to jump on this NOW, UNDER $150 makes this camera a fucking steal!!!!

My husband told me he got such a great deal on this exact same camera for $300!

Off to find an external flash for ya!

Macro flash ring, for close-up work:

I think this is the best external flash for you unless you're specifically looking to do macros:

You can buy the camera and the (2nd listed) external flash for well under $600.
The bolded links, these are the ones I think may work well for you.

JAWS

JAWS

hey SEA:)
i probably need to work on learning the lights and how to use them to my advantage 4real, i think i got the cam to do that but just not the SKILL in useing the cam that i have...once i get moved i'll have a whole room to myself and can get a corner set up the way i want with lights and such....

again i thank you for all your help and sooner then later you will get some gear 4SURE....
respect much:)

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
Seadmaiden is on point. I ran into same thing, No external/ hot shot mont etc, then are limited.

One option. It is possible to get a sensor that attachs to the flash. (optical flash trigger)

When your camera flash fires it triggers the flash. Only downside is that if the flash is not in the line of sight the flash wont fire.

I used that with my point and shoot to experiment with off camera flash.

Here is a excellent tutorial, that goes through using off camera flash.
http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101.html

Lots of things can be done for cheap to help improve pics.

Another option, If you want to try, can make your own ring flash. Plans at strobist dot blogspot dot com. This website is excellent for learning about off camera flash. (note: I am a n00b!)
http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/09/super-cheap-diy-ring-flash.html

The orbis is a cool ring flash that will fit on most brand of external flashes.
orbisflash dot com.

Here is a really cool DIY method to take cool product and or bud shots.

DIY macro studio. (if you got an extra mh or floro bulb, can use it for lighting)
http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/07/how-to-diy-10-macro-photo-studio.html

I am still trying to learn to use the dslr, I stepped up after going through the same thing regarding external flash. Still get consistent pics on the point and shoot. Dslr not so much.

Hope that helps.

JAWS

JAWS

hello LEAD:)
thanks my brother for the insight and site linkage...

i think once i get moved i can set up a portion of my room soly for taking phots, at this point i'll be able to get some lights set/hung up for the use and should start getting some decent shots....i think i'll wait on the purchase of the new gear untill then, if i can get something to work for me at that time then i'll drop the coin to get a whole new set-up....

like i was saying to SEA i think a big part of my problem is just not knowing how to work/use the proper lighting for any given shot, i have a really good cam just not the cam skills to operate it HAHAHA...

Top Bottom