Looking for the dirt on dirt

• Thread starter Mazzdog66
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mazzdog66

Mazzdog66

I'm brand new to growing and 40+ years enjoyer.

What brand of dirt do you use for your seedlings and plants?

Thanks!

ddandurand

ddandurand

I'm a fox farm guy if I'm buying it, ocean forest is what I run. I have hear from other that ocean forest has been to hot for seedlings. I personally have never had a problem with it. they love it strait out of the bag and the texture for me is better than happy frog. less wood chips. both great choices in my opinion.

Mazzdog66

Mazzdog66

I'm a fox farm guy if I'm buying it, ocean forest is what I run. I have hear from other that ocean forest has been to hot for seedlings. I personally have never had a problem with it. they love it strait out of the bag and the texture for me is better than happy frog. less wood chips. both great choices in my opinion.
Thank you very much, I appreciate it. My AGWAY has Fox Farm so I'll grab some

N

Natep

I personally like to do dry amendments. If I was starting a new grow I would use build a soil 3.0 recipe. When I flipped to flower I would top dress with craft blend and worm castings. I would re amend the same way right after harvest in preparation of next run.

Mazzdog66

Mazzdog66

I personally like to do dry amendments. If I was starting a new grow I would use build a soil 3.0 recipe. When I flipped to flower I would top dress with craft blend and worm castings. I would re amend the same way right after harvest in preparation of next run.
Thank you very much

Grower1974

Grower1974

Dirt is just the medium. Some is more enriched than others.

Hot (heavily enriched) soils with big pots = longer growth time without adding additional supplements.

You’ll have to decide the balance/cost/maintenance of how big of pots to use (cost of soil), How soon you need to add nutrients, etc.

ddandurand

ddandurand

I agree with grower1974, sometimes ill run a 10 gallon in a 2x2 I never have to feed as my soil had the necessary life and nutrition to support the plant all grow. honestly bigger is better when just starting out, in my opinion. Bigger pots come with the added issue though of easier to over water until your plant fills it out. Just keep it simple and everything will do great.

Top Bottom