Looking to make the switch from Soil to hydro~~~ any hep is appreciated

• Thread starter norcalnative
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
norcalnative

norcalnative

Hello, Im new to the web forum thing and have been growing soil for quite some time. Most of my buddy have made the switch to hydro and I am planing on doing the same in the next month. Starting small with one 4x8 table and seeing where it takes me.
I hoping for all the help i can get figuring out what medium to use and what brand table, if there is a less expensive way of setting up(not that the cost really matters but it helps!). I dont need to be cheap but i know there are some great ways to get the most for your money.
Ill be running 2 A/C 1000watts over the table and the room will be a flower room only.
It is going to start just a trail run while my other rooms are still running soil. So any help and suggestions i can get makes a huge difference to me!

Cheers,
NCN

Sica

Sica

Hey norc, you mention table so i'm guessing your talking about a flood and drain type system. I'd probably suggest rockwool cubes to start your plants and hydroton in pots for your medium. I have never used such a system but may be venturing down that path soon. I don't foresee too many difficulties other than getting your overflow drain at the correct height and your timer set at the right time to fill the table just right. I'd suggest covering anywhere that nutrient is exposed to light to limit any algae growth. I don't see many costs involved in such a project, assuming you're a fairly handy type of person you could even build your own table. Personally i think growing in soil is harder than hydro systems because their is more guess work (well to me anyway). For starters you need to worry more about the PH of your soil, in hydro you don't. The challenge is more about making sure your nutrients are spot on in strength (tds/ec) and PH. Perhaps since you said this is a trial run, you keep tabs on your friends progress and make decisions based on both, seeing whichever decisions prove more beneficial. Love the idea of maintaining your old setup and trialling a new method, wish i had the space to do the same. Side by side would be much better than trying to remember from past batches. best of luck:)

Latest posts

Top Bottom