Looking to switch from 1000w HID to LED need suggestions

• Thread starter Smok3.Good
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Smok3.Good

Smok3.Good

Hello,

I am currently running a 1000w HID over my GH aeroflo 18(4ftx2ft grow area my room is 8x8 but can add divider(s) as well) and would like to switch to LED(s). With so many companies and choices I'm not sure which company/model to go with. I'm looking to spend around $500-800. The 1 LED ive read about that interests me is the lumatek 465w Zeus compact pro (or their American sister company photonteks X 465 pro) however neither of these come out until mid August, maybe later. I'd like to get something full spectrum and with good components. If anyone can help me out with some suggestions from their experiences with LEDs I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

4x2 grow space.

What's the height?

Is that your actual flower footprint? Or is it bigger?

Smok3.Good

Smok3.Good

4x2 grow space.

What's the height?

Is that your actual flower footprint? Or is it bigger?

Yes the grow chambers on my table are 48in by 24in(4ft x 2ft) so that would be my flower footprint, but my room is approx 8x8ft(I built some movable room dividers so I can enclose my table if needed) The room is just under 8ft tall and my table is approx 18 inches tall.

Smok3.Good

Smok3.Good

Maybe this will work?

Thanks, I'll check it out. I may end up switching from my GH aeroflo 18 to a bucket system in the future so I may want a light w more coverage area for the future(sorry should have mentioned that I'm my original post). I also looked at the Mars hydro sp3000 but that is only supposed to replace a 400w(maybe 600w don't remember) and I've had good results with my 1000w HID but would like to save on my elecric bill. Thinking I need an LED w a true output of atleast 400w if not 600w. I'd rather have something that's a bit bigger then I need and turn it down then something that isn't enough especially if I make changes to my setup in the future. Thanks for your help.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yes the grow chambers on my table are 48in by 24in(4ft x 2ft) so that would be my flower footprint, but my room is approx 8x8ft(I built some movable room dividers so I can enclose my table if needed) The room is just under 8ft tall and my table is approx 18 inches tall.
The light you picked I think is a bit overkill. Typically 30w per sq ft is good for flower. That light would do a 4x4 IMO.

Smok3.Good

Smok3.Good

The light you picked I think is a bit overkill. Typically 30w per sq ft is good for flower. That light would do a 4x4 IMO.

I feel you. I may end up switching to a bucket system in the future sorry should have mentioned that in my original post. I'd rather go over kill and turn it down and not be enough. I looked at the Mars hydro sp3000 but that says it replaces a 400w HID(maybe 600w don't remember) but I've had good results w my 1000w. The Mars hydro sp3000 draws less then 300w of actual power, I was thinking I need atleast 400w, what do you think? Thanks again.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Thanks, I'll check it out. I may end up switching from my GH aeroflo 18 to a bucket system in the future so I may want a light w more coverage area for the future(sorry should have mentioned that I'm my original post). I also looked at the Mars hydro sp3000 but that is only supposed to replace a 400w(maybe 600w don't remember) and I've had good results with my 1000w HID but would like to save on my elecric bill. Thinking I need an LED w a true output of atleast 400w if not 600w. I'd rather have something that's a bit bigger then I need and turn it down then something that isn't enough especially if I make changes to my setup in the future. Thanks for your help.
I mean strip lights are the way to go if your getting into a bigger foot print with height limitations. What the height you actually have to work with?

From a bang for buck perspective on a quality fixture. I use the hlg 600. Definately more than enough light if you go bigger but if your very height limited strips may be better.

Smok3.Good

Smok3.Good

I mean strip lights are the way to go if your getting into a bigger foot print with height limitations. What the height you actually have to work with?

From a bang for buck perspective on a quality fixture. I use the hlg 600. Definately more than enough light if you go bigger but if your very height limited strips may be better.

Thanks again. My room is approx 8 feet tall. Have you ever heard of Eco Farm Ecox LEDs? If so any thought on those? They seem to have good components but I can't find much information on them other then their website.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Thanks again. My room is approx 8 feet tall. Have you ever heard of Eco Farm Ecox LEDs? If so any thought on those? They seem to have good components but I can't find much information on them other then their website.
Nope but there are a lot of led popping up. Have you looked at other hlg models? I think hlg, gavitas, fluence are kinda leading the way. Some say growers choice but I have also heard some issues... No personal experience with them.

Smok3.Good

Smok3.Good

Nope but there are a lot of led popping up. Have you looked at other hlg models? I think hlg, gavitas, fluence are kinda leading the way. Some say growers choice but I have also heard some issues... No personal experience with them.

Yea I've heard good things about HLG as well. This is the Eco Farm lights they use pretty much the same components as HLG

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yea I've heard good things about HLG as well. This is the Eco Farm lights they use pretty much the same components as HLG

Some red flags to me but again know nothing about them.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I would stick to lights with independent test results if you have the budget for it. If not all those lights will grow great plants. The information may not be accurate and the quality and lifespan may be less but they still grow.

Smok3.Good

Smok3.Good

I would stick to lights with independent test results if you have the budget for it. If not all those lights will grow great plants. The information may not be accurate and the quality and lifespan may be less but they still grow.

For sure, since I have the money I'll def look for lights with independent test results like you said. I'd rather spend a bit more to get something I know is going to work as advertised and last as long as it should. Much appreciated man, you really help me out.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I figured as much lol. Thanks for being honest. Cool man I really appreciate your help im def leaning towards the hlg 600 you suggested.
For a quality light with that amount of output your not likely to find anything better. The hlg 550 is the same but less power. It costs more because of the certifications. It's just a very hard light to beat for the price. I will be moving to gavita or fluence strips next as that's the next step up IMO. But I have no complaints over the quality and output of this light. My height is 6ft so I needs strips to better my coverage otherwise I would stick to it.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

For sure, since I have the money I'll def look for lights with independent test results like you said. I'd rather spend a bit more to get something I know is going to work as advertised and last as long as it should. Much appreciated man, you really help me out.
No prob man.

methheadman88

methheadman88

For a quality light with that amount of output your not likely to find anything better. The hlg 550 is the same but less power. It costs more because of the certifications. It's just a very hard light to beat for the price. I will be moving to gavita or fluence strips next as that's the next step up IMO. But I have no complaints over the quality and output of this light. My height is 6ft so I needs strips to better my coverage otherwise I would stick to it.
Thanks for letting me know about Fluence. It looks like an awesome light. Gotta get that once I get a job.

Top Bottom