Looking West

• Thread starter Wingman420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
W

Wingman420

Hello all, I've been in the Cannabis Industry since I became a Patient upon passage of MMJ Law here in 09'. RI laws are changing with a constant assault on Caregivers, Patients, & Collectives, here. We cannot continue to serve all our Patients with these restrictive policies and limitations create an unfair playing field.
So we are looking West and would love to hear anyone's input about where they believe is the best place to relocate, and open a Collective or State Lic. Dispensary. We are looking to buy Agricultural/Commercial property in either CA, OR, or CO.
FLORIDA will be coming online possibly this November but after living and owning businesses there I am sure only friends of Politicians will be allowed commercial interests. So idk about that.
So if anyone has an opinion please share it I would love to hear from folks who are local or have lived in these areas.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Im in cali and its a clusterfuck right now,maybe in a year or so we will know more.Colorado from what i understand is a big money proposition,washington and oregon are still trying to find their way and All of it could be a moot point depending on what president we get next election,lol.Maybe investing in a subway sandwich shop or some such might be a safer proposition for your funds!

W

Wingman420

Lol yes that's funny! I appreciate your candor however I founded and operate The Farmacy in RI after MMJ changed my life. I was a Teamster & Heavy Equipment Operator working in MA before being run over from left shoulder to right hip, losing my left lung, spleen, appendix, part of colon, crushing bones and organs. I broke my neck, ribs, back, hip and shoulder and was told "you will never walk again, and only regain 5% use of your left arm." I suffered from grand mal seizures afterwards and was 100% Disabled.
Cannabis changed my life and the lives of hundreds who are with us so making sandwiches, building houses, or selling TV's is never going to cut it. I grow some of the best medicine on the East Coast and have done so since 1983. I believe in what I do and have resources to bring to bear to that end. While I appreciate your kindness and reply I have to stay true to what I believe in. Thank You fishwhistle.

W

Wingman420

Yes I understand Humblodt is already accepting applications for permits and I have zero problems with paying taxes because I've been doing so since we started. Thanks ShroomKing

W

Wingman420

i understand everyone and their dog moves to Rec & MMJ States cuz I'm in one. However commercial growers who can render a 100% Organic product testing 25% THC using no nutrients, fertilizers, PRG's, Bloom Boosters, or Pesticides are not a dime a dozen. I'm not coming anywhere talking I let the products speak for themselves.

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

i understand everyone and their dog moves to Rec & MMJ States cuz I'm in one. However commercial growers who can render a 100% Organic product testing 25% THC using no nutrients, fertilizers, PRG's, Bloom Boosters, or Pesticides are not a dime a dozen. I'm not coming anywhere talking I let the products speak for themselves.
First, respect for your success so far, but it won't likely transfer or get you far here. What are you looking at for licenses, inspections, all that bidness? What startup costs are you allocating? Are you familiar with the process and that you have to start paying before you can have plants in the ground? What is different or better about Colorado's market versus what you are seeing now? Have you spoken to any MMC owners?

I think there are a few around here (tk?) who have enough industry knowledge to help answer your questions, but you are going to take some shots, be prepared.

However, I think most people's advice would be to question what you can bring to the table. Growers and gardeners are a dime a dozen, and you should prepare for some hate, I hope you have thick skin. The market here is saturated up and down, left and right. I don't know you so please don't take this as an insult, but you are not the first one to register and make a post exactly like this one.

What about your product makes it the best medicine on the east coast? That's a big claim to back up.

Good luck with your journey, this is a great community if you stick around.

W

Wingman420

God bless you brother and thanks for your take. I'm not going to get into a pissing contest about who grows better or worse. I understand everyone and their dog wants to make a living growing bud in a legal state. I do and certainly respect what I have struggled to accomplish. I was one of the first patients here and was arrested and held without bail faced 30yrs for my advocacy and a handful of seedling starts.

We also have helped people who moved East years ago from CO. to escape the bullshit there and earn East Coast dollars here. While I'm not putting anyone else down I'm just pro me cuz if I'm not, you certainly, will never be.
While looking at CO. we've encountered the negative bullshit that emanates from people who are angry with someone else or outside people in general. I really don't let the negative vibes interfere with my goals. Yes I know a few MMC owners and MIPS extractors and have respect for all but don't subscribe to the theory there's no room for anyone else. Especially when I have standing offers from friends in the business across several states including yours.
Well I guess this is too touchy a subject to rationally discuss here. I don't know what I was thinking. I guess I believed there were still good people in the Industry and hoped for thoughts like: "well if I could go anywhere and grow bud my travels have told me I like X place" or "NorCal is better for X" and "SoCal faces this issue"
But as you so eloquently wrote "growers and gardeners are a dime a dozen and you should prepare for some hate"
If hate is what certain folks desire all I can do is pray for their happiness and salvation because I ain't dishing any out.

Last edited:
W

Wingman420

As for resources and what is allocated for what I was brought up to believe that talking about money is impolite. With that being said if you read the post I did say I will purchase agricultural/ commercial land and if you are familiar with the financial workings of this industry I'm sure you realize you can't take a mortgage or loan to build a Canna bussiness

ArcticOrange

ArcticOrange

God bless you brother and thanks for your take. I'm not going to get into a pissing contest about who grows better or worse. I understand everyone and their dog wants to make a living growing bud in a legal state. I do and certainly respect what I have struggled to accomplish. I was one of the first patients here and was arrested and held without bail faced 30yrs for my advocacy and a handful of seedling starts.

We also have helped people who moved East years ago from CO. to escape the bullshit there and earn East Coast dollars here. While I'm not putting anyone else down I'm just pro me cuz if I'm not, you certainly, will never be.
While looking at CO. we've encountered the negative bullshit that emanates from people who are angry with someone else or outside people in general. I really don't let the negative vibes interfere with my goals. Yes I know a few MMC owners and MIPS extractors and have respect for all but don't subscribe to the theory there's no room for anyone else. Especially when I have standing offers from friends in the business across several states including yours.
Well I guess this is too touchy a subject to rationally discuss here. I don't know what I was thinking. I guess I believed there were still good people in the Industry and hoped for homes thoughts like: "well if I could go anywhere and grow bud my travels have told me I like X place" or "NorCal is better for X" and "SoCal faces this issue"
But as you so eloquently wrote "growers and gardeners are a dime a dozen and you should prepare for some hate"
If hate is what certain folks desire all I can do is pray for their happiness and salvation because I ain't dishing any out.

I wouldnt count out AK if i were you, unsure as to how things are going to develop here but take a look at the legislation and see if youre interested.

W

Wingman420

Thank You so very much for the kind words and encouraging thoughts. I do have family in Palmer AK and have discussed this but was told that money is very tight in some communities. While we have never turned folks away for lack of cash the thoughts were AK was unsustainable at the moment but I would love to live there.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

I was not knocking you or trying to discourage you brother,just being honest.Ive been growing over 35 years in cali and i love Mj too and what it has done for me,it saved me.I wont go into the laundry list of my maladies but i was hit on my harley by a car doing 50 mph and woke up in the hospital 3 months later,my whole right side was crushed,massive brain swelling,didnt remember who my wife and family were for 3 more months,so yeah been there done that but im anything but disabled,might be little slower but im good to go.If you are wealthy enough to throw the money around to do it and it wont hurt you financially more power to you!If on the other hand you are looking to make a profit which most are,the LEGAL game is a rough one in my state,hence my statement about the subway(Or any less risky business).
God bless people like you who are willing to lose/gamble their own savings to help those who who are less fortunate and to do what you beleive in,best of luck to you.

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

Well I guess this is too touchy a subject to rationally discuss here. I don't know what I was thinking. I guess I believed there were still good people in the Industry and hoped for thoughts like: "well if I could go anywhere and grow bud my travels have told me I like X place" or "NorCal is better for X" and "SoCal faces this issue"
Work on that thick skin bud, you might need it. What are your goals here?

I'm not in the position that you are in, I am a nobody. I like it that way. Although I have been involved in the industry in various capacities, I haven't opened a 'dispensary', I haven't had to register with the state as a caregiver. I don't hate or dislike anybody, I don't claim to be a master grower and this community is comprised of many kind folks from all sorts of backgrounds. I don't have plants in the ground so you'd be pissing into the wind, I am not in a position to judge your growing skillz. I'm just letting you know what to expect. You don't have to share your resume to gain credibility, everyone sacrifices in some form or another. Thank you for your advocacy and standing up in the face of penalties for those who can't stand on their own.

There is always room for high quality product, regardless of market saturation, and I don't think many people will care to argue about the quality of their gardens versus another farmer. We are all in this together, at least this place is for the most part. You seem a bit defensive for putting yourself out there like you have done here. Please don't take my engagement in conversation as minimizing your experiences. Everyone brings something to the table. I'm curious what separates you from everyone else who also shares your opinion. Self confidence is a requirement in this industry, and if you are going to stick around you should stand behind yourself. Don't automatically assume that any replies are telling you to go away, as a patient I am excited about new products and strains and other ways farmers are growing good plants. Look at how live resin and rosin have taken off during the last twelve months, those can be game changers for businesses. I apologize as I am not trying to insult you, I'm curious to hear more, especially if crowds of folks are looking forward to what comes from your garden.

Confidence in yourself will allow you to correctly filter out the good info versus the bad, but over-confidence and arrogance won't get you far, here. I believe this place requires members to understand and accept that every person and every situation is different. There are all types here, and the old heads have seen it all before and still want the youngsters to stay off the lawn.

It isn't a touchy subject, you are just the 1,395th person to post what you did, and when you make statements like 'Especially when I have standing offers from friends in the business across several states including yours.', you come off as defensive and undermines whatever it is that you are trying to do. My mention of 'haters' is simply that your confidence might be met with skepticism, and nothing more. The magic question of success is what are you doing that nobody else is? If the answer is growing great weed, then I stand by my suggestion that growers are a dime a dozen. This isn't a respect/disrespect issue, it's a numbers game.

Finally, again, I wish you good luck in your endeavors and hopeful future successes. When you find the right people you will prosper no matter what. This is a good place to start, and I don't think anyone is being irrational.

Yet.

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
The industry. Imo industrialization of cannabis seems evil
Sure we all benefit from trading or selling here and there small amounts to folks who cannot grow for themselves
With the industry in most cases it's all about profit and taxation not pride in the end product or benefits
It provides

W

Wingman420

Thank You Localgrowguy, and Chickenman!
Definitely not trying to start a fight or get involved with haters. The only idea I had in posting this thread was to hear local issues facing local people. Nothing more.
I also am a nobody, who has milestones behind me and a short future ahead. If I have a good 20 years left I am blessed. After my accident it was believed I would not live and would never walk again so every day above ground is a good one. I'm just amazed at the lack of civility here and in general. I used to be a mod at 420 Mag 7yrs ago and have spent very little time online while I built a business these last 6-7yrs so I guess old guys like me are out of touch with the anger and disdain folks seem to possess over a simple post.
I definitely agree with Chickenman about how Industialization of Cannabis has hurt the very folks who gave their all to pass Cannabis Reform.
I have been a member here since 2011 but seldom have time to spend online. I appreciate your kindness and politeness so please do not think I'm being argumentative.

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Thank You Localgrowguy, and Chickenman!
Definitely not trying to start a fight or get involved with haters. The only idea I had in posting this thread was to hear local issues facing local people. Nothing more.
I also am a nobody, who has milestones behind me and a short future ahead. If I have a good 20 years left I am blessed. After my accident it was believed I would not live and would never walk again so every day above ground is a good one. I'm just amazed at the lack of civility here and in general. I used to be a mod at 420 Mag 7yrs ago and have spent very little time online while I built a business these last 6-7yrs so I guess old guys like me are out of touch with the anger and disdain folks seem to possess over a simple post.
I definitely agree with Chickenman about how Industialization of Cannabis has hurt the very folks who gave their all to pass Cannabis Reform.
I have been a member here since 2011 but seldom have time to spend online. I appreciate your kindness and politeness so please do not think I'm being argumentative.
No worries
We all have our own path to follow and you certainly in no way offended anyone
Hope you stick around believe in yourself follow your heart and do not worry what others say or do
You are responsible for your own happiness just do what you find
It all comes from above
If you come to Colorado will show you a high time living the good life well I know

Last edited:
Newenglander

Newenglander

Bro untwist your panties. Stop acting like someone is bashing you. What has changed in the last 6-7 years is the intensity ESPECIALLY in Colorado. If you got the fun tickets to fund your endeavor go for it. You wanna know local goings on. Go there get a fantastic lawyer on retainer and blow it up. Sadly you are way and I mean way behind the bubble. Got a million maybe million and half for your license and a friend who has lived in Colorado a few years your golden, do you have an extra couple million to build out a warehouse to keep you loaded year round awesome. If you got buddies already out there doing it why waste your time asking questions here. Move already.

But in all seriousness you go out there thinking someone is going to hold your hand, well you might as well hit up the chick wanting to move to Humboldt and have someone house and feed her.

Best of luck n all

W

Wingman420

Wow thank you all for your terrific and impassioned insights I will take what you all said under consideration. Yes I just want to throw my hard earned away like a sucker. lol
I understand how easy it is to sit at a screen and pass judgements, ridicule, and poke fun at strangers. What a lot of fun I would love to hang and be mean but I have a business to run Thank You all for compassionate responses have a blessed day and may success and happiness find their way to your door.
Namaste

Newenglander

Newenglander

-thumbs up- take the advice how ya want. Best of luck to ya.

Top Bottom