Looks like calcium deficiency on my first grow. Thoughts?

• Thread starter Cannaleaf9
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cannaleaf9

Cannaleaf9

Environment is stable temp 70's, rh 60, LED at 75% 22" above canopy

Run off is at 6.2 ph and i feed at 6.6. I USE R/O WATER. FF Ocean Forest soil with run off ppm of 3900.

Currently day 24 after sprout.

I've only ever given this plant 1.5ml of silica every watering and 1/2 tsp of recharge every other watering. I added 3ml of cal mag last watering for the first time.

Could this be a calcium def? Should I start to incorporate cal mag into a weekly feeding?

Petrioles are purple but that is also the case on all of my plants. Main stem is green.

I do plan on adding a dolomite lime mix into next transplant to 3 gal pot in a week.

IMG_7294.JPG

IMG_7295.JPG

IMG_7296.JPG

IMG_7297.JPG

Tracyfri

Tracyfri

I realize ocean forest is fortified already but 3900 seems awfully high for runoff. It should be in the range of what your putting in for feed water. Higher is okay but if that's not a typo I'd say it may be your problem. Your runoff pH must be out of sync too? It's an easy fix if so but ya wanna get on it is all.

Cannaleaf9

Cannaleaf9

I thought the same thing. Since the start, all 5 of my plants have been in that range. The PPm was decreasing before i transplanted to a 1 gal. It's Ocean Forest so and I have not given any extra nuts.
I realize ocean forest is fortified already but 3900 seems awfully high for runoff. It should be in the range of what your putting in for feed water. Higher is okay but if that's not a typo I'd say it may be your problem. Your runoff pH must be out of sync too? It's an easy fix if so but ya wanna get on it is all.

Cannaleaf9

Cannaleaf9

And the nutrients in the soil are slow releasing correct? So, higher ppm from this soil doesn't mean the same as a higher ppm say from liquid fertilizers which are immediately available

Tracyfri

Tracyfri

Yes that's what I am assuming as well but if that were the case I feel like they wouldn't be in solution where they become water soluble and registering on your meter.
Maybe someone better informed can chime in here? I'm more of a hydro guy.
If however the medium is chronically saturated that would speed things up and you would get a spike on your EC. Have you tried flushing it and see if the ppms go down?

Cannaleaf9

Cannaleaf9

Yes that's what I am assuming as well but if that were the case I feel like they wouldn't be in solution where they become water soluble and registering on your meter.
Maybe someone better informed can chime in here? I'm more of a hydro guy.
If however the medium is chronically saturated that would speed things up and you would get a spike on your EC. Have you tried flushing it and see if the ppms go down?
I havn't tried flushing yet...

Tracyfri

Tracyfri

How often and for how long have you been supplementally feeding?
I'd give it a shot. Your not giving them too much water you think?
I know in my organic.veggie soil mix that I prepare a month ahead of time in the spring if I let it get too wet before I store it it gets all effed up and my seedlings do not like it at all.

Tracyfri

Tracyfri

It does look like calcium though.
Someone will chime in with some more info I'm certain.

Cannaleaf9

Cannaleaf9

How often and for how long have you been supplementally feeding?
I'd give it a shot. Your not giving them too much water you think?
I know in my organic.veggie soil mix that I prepare a month ahead of time in the spring if I let it get too wet before I store it it gets all effed up and my seedlings do not like it at all.
I water when it weighs about .9 to 1kg. After I water, it weighs about 1.9 to 2kg so i typically just wait for the weight to drop. Takes about 4 days. It's pretty dry at that point and then I water until I get about 10 percent run off. As far as nutrients, I have only ever given cal mag but I do give silica every watering (1.5ml per gallon) with recharge every other watering.

Cannaleaf9

Cannaleaf9

I hear LED's are hard on calcium/mag and they need to be supplemented more than usual. The plants have stayed short and bushy, only reaching 6 inches tall after 25 days. I wonder if the light is too much as well...

Cannaleaf9

Cannaleaf9

I appreciate your input thus far. This is my first grow so I totally understand this is just part of the process. But I really am patient with them. I don't believe I overwater but I will say that I think I did during germination lol

RealizedReal000

RealizedReal000

What light are you using ? You may want to raise the light about 6 inches. And how often are you watering?

Cannaleaf9

Cannaleaf9

What light are you using ? You may want to raise the light about 6 inches. And how often are you watering?
I am using mars sp3000. I had it dimmed to 75% power at 22 inches above canopy at 21 days after sprout. I now moved it to 24" at 60%. That's the minimum guideline from the manufacturer for veg.

mancorn

mancorn

FF comes with some organic nutrients, which will throw your EC/PPM off. EC measure electrical conductivity, which isn’t accurate for large organic molecules. I’ve measured EC of straight Bio-Live (which is just dry meals - alfalfa, shrimp, crab, fish, etc) soaked in water and within a few days the numbers were well over 3K. So don’t go flushing based on a high EC reading with organics.

Top Bottom