Lottery Do-over Might Raise Caps On Marijuana Stores

• Thread starter LittleDabbie
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
A few rejected applicants for state marijuana store licenses are getting a second chance at a golden ticket.

That means state-set caps on the number of marijuana stores might rise for some communities. It depends on the luck of the draw.

The state Liquor Control Board on Tuesday (Dec. 16) will conduct a miniature do-over of the lottery it used in April to rank 1,174 applications for 334 retail licenses.

The liquor board says it excluded more than 900 applications from that process because applicants’ locations, backgrounds or finances didn’t pass muster. While the agency stands behind the vast majority of those decisions, it has concluded a few were rejected in error.

“We’re owning up to those, and we think we have a fair and equitable way of treating them,” board spokesman Brian Smith said.

The board said it has reached agreement with eight applicants to resolve their cases by carrying out the new lottery.

Most of the errors happened when the board mapped the wrong address while checking if a store would violate a 1,000-foot buffer zone around schools, parks and the like, said Becky Smith, marijuana licensing and regulations manager for the liquor board. Many applicants moved their proposed addresses multiple times as they scrambled to find a viable spot.

The eight applicants receiving a new look are in Thurston County’s “at-large” area, Federal Way, King County’s at-large area (an Enumclaw address), Bremerton, Seattle, Lake Stevens, Bellingham and Spokane County (a Spokane address).

Others might join them. Dozens of rejected marijuana license applicants are in an appeals process. Of those considered so far, most rejections have been upheld on appeal. But at least one rejection based on a retail applicant’s criminal history has been reversed. The board is considering how to address that applicant.

Here’s an example of how the new lottery will work for one business, Good Life, that was wrongly rejected in the screening process.

Good Life applied using an address near Rochester, putting it in the “at-large” area of Thurston County, outside Olympia, Lacey and Tumwater. The liquor board designated six at-large slots, and there were 19 applicants that passed the screening process fighting for those spots.

Good Life’s name will be entered into a double-blind lottery with 19 blanks, simulating what would have happened if the company had been included before. Each will be ranked, and if Good Life wins one of the top six slots, the board will add it to the list of six license winners.

Joining the winner’s circle is no guarantee, however. Just two of the applicants who won those six Thurston at-large slots in the initial lottery have a license eight months later. One is in the Lacey area and the other in the Yelm area.

Read more here:

C

crocodile og

The lottery system was retarded. Gave people licenses and privilege that shouldn't have advantage over people who should be given a fair chance. Successful businesses are the ones that provide customers with what they want at a fair price.

M

marcos davis

Well I don’t know whether it is worth or not to believe on a new lottery but one can go for it by taking expert’s advice once. There are so many communities such as and more those can prove to be helpful. Apart from this, price is also a big factor and it’s needed to make fair for customers. I full agree with what @crocodile og said.

S

Scorpius

Umm, I have no idea where on Earth or throughout the cosmos this is happening because you left the "where" out of the story. I might have taken the time to fully explore this issue if I knew where it was happening but what's the point of committing it to memory if I don't know the where? I just went and wasted a minute of my life for nothing...
If you are going to post like a citizen journalist, at least get the basics right. The 6 Ws: Who, what, when, where, why and whow!

zeke

zeke

Yeah WTF you might have been talking about Olympia Mississippi or Seattle, Missouri. Fuck how's a retarded reader to know? I mean jeez, there are like three 4 legal states now. It could have been any one of those, ha ha. Just joking. I gotta read some more of Scorpius' content. I love cantankerous character content.

S

Scorpius

Yeah WTF you might have been talking about Olympia Mississippi or Seattle, Missouri. Fuck how's a retarded reader to know? I mean jeez, there are like three 4 legal states now. It could have been any one of those, ha ha. Just joking. I gotta read some more of Scorpius' content. I love cantankerous character content.
Well, the problem here is that you are simply reposting what appears to be an excerpt from a local news article. You are being viewed by people from all over the country and world. As a point of order, you cannot expect everyone to know where Olympia or Thurston County are and that does not make one retarded!
Yeah, I guess I can take a joke even though I take most things very seriously. If I am cantankerous, it is only because I seek truly meaningful discourse, not mocking, trollish behavior.
I guess it takes all kinds but saying JK doesn't change the fact you made a joke at my expense. I got enough of that crap in High School.

Last edited:
zeke

zeke

Fuck you Scorpussy. How's that for witty banter and meaningful discourse? Don't come on here and read one of Debbie's Many worthwhile contributions and try to give him/her a lesson on "journalism". Let's see your Journalistic chops Brokaw. Obviously you are a douchebag. No normal human without a serious personality disorder would ever behave in such a way. Your post was a dick post and you know it. So now you get to hang out with an even larger " veinier" throbbing hard on like me. Ain't life grand? Now why don't you train a little bit on your personality and learn how to interact like a normal human? You might be surprised by how not sucky your life just might become. Ha ha jk, eat a dick....that was totally a joke at your expense.

Latest posts

Top Bottom