Love my SF-1000 so much I may by another...BUT.....

• Thread starter lowodorisbest
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
lowodorisbest

lowodorisbest

I entered this hobby with a SF-1000/ Meanwell driver and a very small grow space, 18" x 18" x 48" .I am using a metal safe covered in a thick blanket using one 4 inch filtered intake and an 4 inchAC afinity exhaust. The SF-1000 is perfect for my space ! Temperatures run around 71-75 degrees with the light on 100% power! No fans = no noise which is amazing for my steath grow space.

As much as I love Spider Farmer, I noticed that they are no longer using meanwell drivers. Spiderfarmer says that the new drivers are "OEM" but I get the gut feeling they went to another driver to save money keeping the cost of the SF-1000 the same (they save money, the customer doesnt). I dont like the move and it has me considering another brand. One of the reasons I went with Spiderfarmer vs someone like Mars Hydro, Viperspectra is the Meanwell driver.

I'm an IT guy and one of the most important parts of a computer is the power supply. Many over look this and go cheap with the power supply, I spend the extra money to get a good one. Bottom line, you get what you pay for and a cheap power supply is a risk to the durability of a computer. I know this comparison is a little odd but to make a long story short, I want the power supply/Driver to be high quality. It seems they went from Top Shelf to mids in the driver world.... Anyway, just my take. I'm sad they made this move.

Part two: EVO

I also noticed that they have a new "EVO" model but my google searches have very little to say about it. Has anyone tried the new EVO model? I am also wondering what the difference is between the EVO and the Samsung lm301B? Are the EVO chips better suited for the flowering stage of a grow?

Love my sf 1000 so much i may by anotherbut
Grower1974

Grower1974

Don't get worked up with power supply/driver branding. As long as the driver is sized accordingly (which MOST are), you won't even need to care. Most halfway decent fixtures use a quality driver anyway. Market lighting by gloating "Meanwell" driver, is nothing but selling a brand name and making people have to spend more on a lighting fixture.

My best performing lighting fixture does NOT use a Meanwell P/S....... It just does what it was designed to do.

Top Bottom