Low GPH Pump

• Thread starter Resinator
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

Resinator

I currently use AeroGardens for sprouting and GH Waterfarms for grow and bloom.

The Aerogarden is whisper quiet and just uses a small submersible pump to drip water into rockwool at the rootbase.

My waterfarms are great but they are too noisy. The bubbling sound can be covered up with a nearby fishtank but when the water is not full it gets louder with occasional burps.

I would like to find some submersible water pumps to replace the bubble up method for getting water to the drip rings. When I look online for hydroponic water pumps the lowest GPH I can find is 185. I am guessing that the Aerogarden is more like 5-10 GPH

Any tips would be appreciated

R

Resinator

Answered my own question ... seareching for Low Voltage water pumps yeilded the results I wanted

P

Pilsung

You may want to check on e bay to look for the best price, if you haven't already.

R

Resinator

After I saw that most of these were replacement pumps for fountains I found an old crappy fountain gift and scavenged it for parts... I now have a modified Waterfarm. i should patent this

R

Rolln J

i thought about doing that as well - too issues though really...

one is heat that the pump will generate running 24/7...

the other is one of the reasons those waterfarms work so well is the oxygenated water you get from the air pump.

hope it works for you, keep us posted.

R

Resinator

I thought about the oxygenation loss but the tradeoff for noise reduction is worth it.
I have my pump on the same timer as my lights so it will get 6 hours of off time ... I will have to watch for water heat issues ... since I have the submersible pump on the low setting i hope that will reduce the heat output into the water.

R

Resinator

Worked like a charm. No heat issues and the Diesel Ryder came out splendid as usual. And it was totally silent this run, no more anxiety about people hearing the bubbling and burping.

I think the amount of water the submersible pump moves is far greater than the water circulated through a bubble up drip method. So maybe that helped keep the water well oxegenated and probably helped with the heat dispersol too. I am guesing this little pump moves about 20-40 gph on its low setting.

Top Bottom