low stress = more females?

• Thread starter 420alldaze
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
V

vierundzwanzig

The sex of the seed is determined at the moment of conception - just like every other living creature on planet earth.
I'm not debating you just throwing something out there. What if the "time" in which they were created designates their EVERYTHING?
we speak the same words with different levels of intelligence.

I'm uneducated and get a feel for things. you my friend are well educated enough to know that a gator farmer doesn't know what the hell he is talking about.

BTW I'm Brutal

Oregon Panda

Oregon Panda

The sex of the seed is determined at the moment of conception - just like every other living creature on planet earth...
However some research has shown that environmental factors when the seed first forms may influence sex ratios. This would explain why some batches of seeds have very different ratios of males to females. But again once the seed forms, it's sex is set. So when you pop a 10 pack, it very much is the luck of the draw. I mean think of it this way - sex is determine by chromosomes. Does it really make sense that doing something like changing the light spectrum or temperature would really alter an organisms chromosomes and DNA? ].

Keep talking like that and you'll be a host on MythBusters in no time! I was seriously clapping my hands when I read this.

marski420

marski420

Blaze I highly recommend

The first speaker is Dr. Bruce Lipton PhD in Biology. He has some very interesting theories on how biology is directly connected to perception of the environment. He proves in many ways that modern science is wrong with their theories of Genes controlling life. Worth a watch if you love Biology/ Science as much as I.

B

budseyeveiw

Blaze I highly recommend

The first speaker is Dr. Bruce Lipton PhD in Biology. He has some very interesting theories on how biology is directly connected to perception of the environment. He proves in many ways that modern science is wrong with their theories of Genes controlling life. Worth a watch if you love Biology/ Science as much as I.

this is a very basic concept of how stress effects an animals biology. its very basic but explained deeply to make it sound more inteligent. the actual crutial fact they forget to mention is that stress actual helps a species evolve, not just makes them less intelligent. its not really of any value to science at all.
theres plenty of thought training shit like this, most of it invented to pull up some fans and to make some money.

Thoth

Thoth

My instinct tells me high stress is more likely to make a plant herm. It's logical that if it feels threatened, it'll do all it can do reproduce quickly and effectively. I always try to look after my plants with as little stress as possible.

Good thread bro!

Blaze

Blaze

From my understanding of it Epigenetics does not directly alter the DNA of the organisms. Rather, environment can cause certain genes to turned 'on' or 'off''. So the genes are already there, but dormant, until something in the environment causes to to wake up. We all have about 4 billion years worth of DNA and genes in our bodies, most of which is 'dormant'. So this can certainly affect genetic expression, but not to the extreme of changing sex as far as I know. That would require an entire chromosome to change - not just a few genes or sections of DNA. I would also be very wary of any claims made by Lipton. He has some interesting ideas, but has yet to produce any solid evidence to support them, such as some controlled, peer reviewed, scientific studies from what I have seen. His conclusions SOUND good but are rarely seem to follow the scientific method. He also routinely distorts facts to fit his conclusions, especially in regards to evolution which makes me VERY skeptical. If his work is solid he should not have to restort to using fallacies and mis-information to attempt to prove his points. FYI he is considered to be a fraud and a quack by most of the scientific and medical community, so I would take any of his claims with a grain of salt, especially considering the fact that he is using these claims to sell his books.....

Oh and stress will definitely make a plant more likely to go hermaphrodite on you. It's a survival instinct as Thoth pointed out.

Kyle mccall

Kyle mccall

The sex of the seed is determined at the moment of conception - just like every other living creature on planet earth. Environment cannot influence genetics in such a manner, except in very extreme examples, such as exposure to radiation. Now the one exception to this is when you are dealing with hermaphrodites, Environment and stress can influence which gender is expressed, but you still are not altering the genetic code, as hermaphrodites can express as either a male or a female or both at once. Even the supposed crocodile 'study' that many often site as an example of this was found to be fraudulent - in fact it wasn't even a study, it was just a random quote from a gator farmer. Environment influences have no more impact on determining the sex of gators than it does the sex of human beings. I am quite surprised that they myth of environment determining male/female ratios still persists so much in the cannabis community as such a phenomenon would violate some of the most basic principals of biology.

However some research has shown that environmental factors when the seed first forms may influence sex ratios. This would explain why some batches of seeds have very different ratios of males to females. But again once the seed forms, it's sex is set. So when you pop a 10 pack, it very much is the luck of the draw. I mean think of it this way - sex is determine by chromosomes. Does it really make sense that doing something like changing the light spectrum or temperature would really alter an organisms chromosomes and DNA? If it was that simple, genetic engineering would be as easy as shining a flashlight on a frog, or placing it in the fridge. Genetics just do not work that way, plain and simple.

scientific and a impressive answer :)

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

We all know that plants have chromosomes for both male and female, but depending on the environment and amount of stress, one type chromosome will be repressed, so I don't believe sex is determined during conception of a seed. Let me show ya'll the 'favorable environment' theory,

"When conditions are favorable for plants, a higher percentage of females are formed in order to ensure a population boom in that growing are. Fewer males are formed since less pollen is needed to maintain a high survival rate. When conditions are harsh, more males are formed, since more pollen is needed to ensure the current female population is fertilized. Also, more pollen can be scattered in the wind to reach outlying populations in more favorable growing areas. Have you ever noticed that your earliest and tallest plants are generally males??

Now with that in mind, there are hormones like auxins, cytokinins and gibberellins that promote growth. Now gibberellins or (GA) is the most powerful growth promoter because it increases internodal spacing and also promotes flowering in many ornamental plants, but most of those plants turn out to be males. When too much direct wind is hitting a plant, the reason it creates "stronger stems" is because it creates stress, which in turn, creates more GA and the plants develope stems with smaller internodal spacing (stronger stems) but could also create more males.

We cannot compare cannabis to humans or animals, but we can compare cannabis to other plants where alot of scientific experiments have been done with growth hormones and environmental conditions. Again, this is a theory, but its widely accepted throughout the horticulture and botanist community. I know there is very little to no experiments being or been done with cannabis, but there is alot of experiments done with other plants that are alot more closely related to cannabis through there genetic makeup compared to humans or animals. Just my opinion.

Kyle mccall

Kyle mccall

Evolution is still only a theory maybe were all wrong !! You never know in twenty years they ll be telling us we all live in a fake reality haha take it easy farmers. :cool:

Haggardass

Haggardass

Ive also read on a few forums that germing them in a banana peel ups your chances of females. Sounds crazy to me but its not uncommon you can probably google it.

Top Bottom