Lower Leaves Yellow, Purple Stalk, Brown Spots And Yellow Tips At The Top!

• Thread starter Ruderalis
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Ruderalis

Ruderalis

Hello everyone!

It is my first post here and luckily I have found this forum due to my unlucky misshapen with my girls. This is my very first grow and this is my setup:

- 600w HPS for Grow and Bloom
- 1.2m by 1.2m Secret Jardin Darkstreet 3.0
- 400mm Carbon PureFilter
- 125mm TT Dual extractor, rated at 280m3/h
- 20cm rotating fan blowing over the canopy

Anyways, the problem I have is that the lower leaves are turning yellow with brown patches where the yellowing started at the tips, then the stalks of some branches started turning purple, with and without having yellow leaves on them.
And then all of a sudden some top and middle section leaves are starting to appear with yellow tips or very light green.

They are autoflowering, Quick One from RQS, they are 4 weeks old in total since I planted the seeds, and I have been very very lightly using the Hy-Pro Terra fertilizer with a ratio of 2-5-5 (the manufacturer stated 5ml per 1litre, but I been using 2ml per 1 Litre every 2-3 days or so.

I am using a 7 litre pot (I think its small tbh) and I was watering them every other day, and they would get extremely dry and hence I started watering them every day now.

As you can see the pictures, they looked a bit droopy when dry (but after I water they are fine) and you can see that there is a lot of buds forming, or so I think.

What do you guys reckon the problem is?
Also, this fert I have it says Grow and Bloom at 2-5-5, but I am considering using a TriFert setup as I have read that it is better tuned for each stage of the plant.

PS: I use bottled mineral water to water them all, at 6.5 BEFORE adding the fert, but after I add it, it seems to go around 5 to 5.5ish. I am using one of those color PH meter that you add some drops to a vial to measure it out. I am purchasing one of those electronic meters soon.

Thanks for all the help in advance! :)

Lower leaves yellow purple stalk brown spots and yellow tips at the top
Lower leaves yellow purple stalk brown spots and yellow tips at the top 2
Lower leaves yellow purple stalk brown spots and yellow tips at the top 3
Lower leaves yellow purple stalk brown spots and yellow tips at the top 4
Lower leaves yellow purple stalk brown spots and yellow tips at the top 5
Lower leaves yellow purple stalk brown spots and yellow tips at the top 6
Lower leaves yellow purple stalk brown spots and yellow tips at the top 7
Lower leaves yellow purple stalk brown spots and yellow tips at the top 8
Lower leaves yellow purple stalk brown spots and yellow tips at the top 9
Lower leaves yellow purple stalk brown spots and yellow tips at the top 10

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
Hello everyone!

It is my first post here and luckily I have found this forum due to my unlucky misshapen with my girls. This is my very first grow and this is my setup:

- 600w HPS for Grow and Bloom
- 1.2m by 1.2m Secret Jardin Darkstreet 3.0
- 400mm Carbon PureFilter
- 125mm TT Dual extractor, rated at 280m3/h
- 20cm rotating fan blowing over the canopy

Anyways, the problem I have is that the lower leaves are turning yellow with brown patches where the yellowing started at the tips, then the stalks of some branches started turning purple, with and without having yellow leaves on them.
And then all of a sudden some top and middle section leaves are starting to appear with yellow tips or very light green.

They are autoflowering, Quick One from RQS, they are 4 weeks old in total since I planted the seeds, and I have been very very lightly using the Hy-Pro Terra fertilizer with a ratio of 2-5-5 (the manufacturer stated 5ml per 1litre, but I been using 2ml per 1 Litre every 2-3 days or so.

I am using a 7 litre pot (I think its small tbh) and I was watering them every other day, and they would get extremely dry and hence I started watering them every day now.

As you can see the pictures, they looked a bit droopy when dry (but after I water they are fine) and you can see that there is a lot of buds forming, or so I think.

What do you guys reckon the problem is?
Also, this fert I have it says Grow and Bloom at 2-5-5, but I am considering using a TriFert setup as I have read that it is better tuned for each stage of the plant.

PS: I use bottled mineral water to water them all, at 6.5 BEFORE adding the fert, but after I add it, it seems to go around 5 to 5.5ish. I am using one of those color PH meter that you add some drops to a vial to measure it out. I am purchasing one of those electronic meters soon.

Thanks for all the help in advance! :)

View attachment 802373 View attachment 802374 View attachment 802375 View attachment 802376 View attachment 802377 View attachment 802378 View attachment 802379 View attachment 802380 View attachment 802381 View attachment 802382

You are in soil right? Ph 5 is very low for soil needs to be 6.8 ideally. You may be getting lockouts, ph it properly and water as you do and keep an eye on it, it looks hungry (mainly nitrogen) maybe due to lockout or maybe it wants more nutes.
Also i would watch out for the sodium content of that mineral water, it can accumulate in time. Where i live there are some mineral waters with crazy high sodium content.

Ruderalis

Ruderalis

You are in soil right? Ph 5 is very low for soil needs to be 6.8 ideally. You may be getting lockouts, ph it properly and water as you do and keep an eye on it, it looks hungry (mainly nitrogen) maybe due to lockout or maybe it wants more nutes.
Also i would watch out for the sodium content of that mineral water, it can accumulate in time. Where i live there are some mineral waters with crazy high sodium content.

Thanks for the help!

In regards to the sodium build up, how can I remove it from the soil? Flushing and "resetting" the soil?

I am buying a PH UP solution tomorrow and plan to use it to raise the PH a bit more since the grow kit I bought, only had PH DOWN solution. Will the PH UP solution affect the quality of the water, or it will be OK?

Tomorrow I am getting the BioBizz TriPack or the GHE TriPack Flora kit for indoor and hopefully can tune the nutes a bit better since it has for bloom specifically and not an all round nute that I currently have.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Thanks for the help!

In regards to the sodium build up, how can I remove it from the soil? Flushing and "resetting" the soil?

I am buying a PH UP solution tomorrow and plan to use it to raise the PH a bit more since the grow kit I bought, only had PH DOWN solution. Will the PH UP solution affect the quality of the water, or it will be OK?

Tomorrow I am getting the BioBizz TriPack or the GHE TriPack Flora kit for indoor and hopefully can tune the nutes a bit better since it has for bloom specifically and not an all round nute that I currently have.

If your mineral water don’t has too much (it should be specified on the label) i don’t think it will be a problem, for example perrier has very little sodium it should be good, if it has too much just go with tap water with nutes and drench your soil till you get some good runoff everytime, i don’t do flushing with huge amounts of water i think it stresses the plant also i grow in ammended soil so i don’t really do flushes. Biobizz is nice i use fish mix, grow, alg-a-mic in my teas to add different kinds of food for microbes.

Ph up is fine i don’t think it would hurt anything everybody uses it, my tap comes out at ph 8 so i don’t but lots of people use it. It is just potassium carbonate or hyroxide or both i am not sure :D

Actually your current nute has good ratio for flowering. 2-5-5 is nice i would up the dosage with correct ph, i think it would solve your problem. Nutes aren’t cheap. But i think alg-a-mic is pretty good for micro nutrients and trace elements tho you can any liquid kelp to achieve the same effect (i don’t trust off brand stuff tho so i use biobizz).

I grow in smart pots, so i am not sure as i have never encountered it, but you may be getting the effects of rootbound but lets stay positive and correct everything else first.

Last edited:
centralcoast

centralcoast

It’s hard to tell from the pics but it appears that you may also want to repot them into larger pots.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter

It seems not 6.8 ideally but 6.5 well still close :D i don’t ph anymore tho, microbes take care of that for me :)

prospero

prospero

Put them in bigger pots for a start. They will become root bound if not allready. I. Would go exactly half dosage on those nutes. Id like to be able to comment on leds that have been recomended but ive not used them before. Thinking of adding one in along side my 600 watt Dual spec hps for extra spectrum :-)

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
It seems not 6.8 ideally but 6.5 well still close :D i don’t ph anymore tho, microbes take care of that for me :)
No... You want 6.8 ideally. The three on the end are micros. 6.5 will drift low with flower nutes if not careful. Once you go to 6.4 its lockin the plant in dirt.

stonestacker

stonestacker

Autos are a different breed that I have not run. If I understand right they are real touchy and finicky. I agree the pots are to small but this late in the game up poting might cause more harm.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Autos are a different breed that I have not run. If I understand right they are real touchy and finicky. I agree the pots are to small but this late in the game up poting might cause more harm.

I grew 2 autos my first grow WW and WW XXL from dinafem, everyone says they are sensitive but i fed them with undilutes compost teas every time i watered (my teas are not that strong more of a microbe boost) also top dressed with the sludge every time to see if i can push it any harder, it was more of an experiment, an they were fine with it so i ime it is really strain dependent if they are touchy or not.

Last edited:
Ruderalis

Ruderalis

Thanks for the replies guys, I have got the BioBizz Tripack for indoor and the Algamic nutrient and I am using them every watering.

But my leaves are still showing yellowing and the stalks are still purple. Ok its only been 3 days but do you guy reckon it will "heal" the plant or merely not yellowing or making new stalks purple?

Also, should I buy a cal-mag solution to top up those deficiencies?

Thanks once again! :)

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Thanks for the replies guys, I have got the BioBizz Tripack for indoor and the Algamic nutrient and I am using them every watering.

But my leaves are still showing yellowing and the stalks are still purple. Ok its only been 3 days but do you guy reckon it will "heal" the plant or merely not yellowing or making new stalks purple?

Also, should I buy a cal-mag solution to top up those deficiencies?

Thanks once again! :)

No you shouldn’t, you are using mineral water i am sure it is loaded with calcium and magnesium already i think you should repot into bigger pots and do a good feeding.

Ruderalis

Ruderalis

No you shouldn’t, you are using mineral water i am sure it is loaded with calcium and magnesium already i think you should repot into bigger pots and do a good feeding.

Thanks!

Will there be any problems in repotting the plant in a bigger pot? I am planning in using the smart pots now, 11L / 3 Gall ones.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Thanks!

Will there be any problems in repotting the plant in a bigger pot? I am planning in using the smart pots now, 11L / 3 Gall ones.

Well i think if you don’t it will cause more problems (just my opinion). Why not go for 5? You are already using 2 gallon pots, but if you have limited space or light coverage 3gal smartpots could do it too.

Ruderalis

Ruderalis

Well i think if you don’t it will cause more problems (just my opinion). Why not go for 5? You are already using 2 gallon pots, but if you have limited space or light coverage 3gal smartpots could do it too.

Yeah I changed to 11l pots and transplanted them yesterday, but the yellowing leaves are persisting, the PH is around 6.5 to 7, according to the color coded chart from my liquid PH tester. I really need an electronic PH tester as this liquid thing is impractical and inaccurate it seems :(

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Yeah I changed to 11l pots and transplanted them yesterday, but the yellowing leaves are persisting, the PH is around 6.5 to 7, according to the color coded chart from my liquid PH tester. I really need an electronic PH tester as this liquid thing is impractical and inaccurate it seems :(
i dont own a pen..not for soil and you can get coco down with them

IMG 20180531 055537 756
crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
If you have a clear solution the drops work fine ime, but if your nutes add any kind of tint to the irrigation water then you wont be able to get proper readings with drops also you have to have patience, they will recover, you just transplanted them give them a week or so atleast.

Latest posts

Top Bottom