lowering closet temp

• Thread starter king_kronic
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

king_kronic

i have a 400 watt mh light grow in my closet . im having problems keeping the temp low. it stays in the 95 degree range... is there any thing i can do to keep the heat low. should i get a lower wattage bulb. i also have a humidifier. any help would be greatly appreciated

K

kripplecreek

Squirrel cages to vent and bring in fresh air in a closet two small ones that are around 30 bucks new at home depot ducting and mothballs ?

Dont know all I saw was you have a humidifier didnt see anyhting about vents

B

blayzed76

need more info, do you have exhaust fan? do you have a circ fan? may want to start there if your missing any of those, i have heard that a swamp cooler can help (you would need a dehumidifier for that keep in mind) Personally i have a window a/c unit that keeps my room at correct temps (and its hot here) no matter what you need to get those temps down that is too hi

hope this helps and good luck...

jeffadies

jeffadies

Garden of Dreams Seed Co
If it were me i would use an inline fan to exhaust hot air out of the room. I wouldn't worry about active air flow coming in..passive with light traps should be fine..the key is to have cool air in the room outside of the closet..try a window ac unit. Mind you the air you are removing from the closet will have to be scrubbed clean before you send it outside. If you dont have a way to get the hot air out of that room i would maybe try L.E.D or a C.F.L set up. It really all comes down to this. you need fresh cool air coming in the room and hot air going out. Remember hot air rises and cold air sinks. use that to your advantage and take your hot air out the top of the room and bring your cold air in at the bottom of the room. This is the advice that has been givin to me on this forum and every bit of it has helped me in my adventures. best of luck to ya.

Ever after

Ever after

dehumidifiers make room temps go up around 5C or so
you need an inline fan to bring air in and an inline duct fan to get air out so you need 2 fans

F

Fred

Premium Member
Supporter
Try to get a good hood that can be air-cooled. Then get a 4" inline fan to exhaust out. Six inch would be even better but I pulled this off with a 4". My temp was 88-92. After the 4' air-cooled hood it dropped to 78-82. It goes carbon filter with fan attached sucking hot stinky air trough the filter "scrubbing it" clean. Then connect it to the hood and vent out into attic space using duct work. This is the way to go for long term success. Just change the carbon every 12-18 months and your good to go. I put my fan in the attic and had it sucking from my hood and then pushing through a carbon at the end. This worked great for a small system like that. It was very quiet with all the fans etc in the attic. I installed it high in the gable hanging from bungee cords so it couldnt' be heard. The small desk fan was way louder. Anyway, thats how I did it for several years. If you cool the hood the heat doesn't build up nearly as much.

Oh yeah. i need to mention the temps in the room that the closet was in stayed 70-72 with A/C and it was passive intake uder the door.

fred

deep buddy

deep buddy

yeah either an air cooled hood or an intake and exhaust fan. or just an exhuast fan and passive intake.either way your going to need to cut holes or leave the door open. i would just bite the bullet and cut intake and exhaust. if you use an air cooled light youll have to have exhaust holes cut for that too. its really easy. i have used a 400w in a closet w/ just a box fan too. dorr has to be open though.

A

alphaferret

I'm having these same problems-and have added vortex 6 inch and ducted out the house-still having heat issues. at the bottom of cab its 82, so I imagine temps at the top of plants would be 10 degrees hotter. Oh yeah air cooled 400 too-I am puzzled.

Sorry to interupt

plz continue

A

alphaferret

well just starting a new crop and checking"winter time temps " and they are about 5 degrees cooler-must be due to ambiant temp of the downstairs.

will move ahead for now-

good luck to you

Top Bottom