Lowering PH

• Thread starter Newbie2019
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

I rely on the grow shop guys to steer me in the right direction with that stuff. I probably pay too much for the stuff but rely on the experts....right?....I have some brand named PH Up but my down is some stuff they mixed up themselves, no label wtfk's what they sold me but it works a drop at a time. They probably told me at the time what it was but I'm 67 add a few pipe fulls , a few months and well my memory is not what she used to be.
im same boat as your in hahahah

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

DAMN YOU AQUA MAN!!!
Now are you wondering how much of the general hardness in your well water is carbonate hardness? For those wondering If you can hold a steady ph without adding a shit ton of acid there is no need to know.

For you organic guys the best to use is citric acid as it's the easiest on microbial life but peat moss is better. In aquatics this is often used in pantyhose or carbonic acid by injecting co2.

For hydro sulfuric or phosphoric last the longest and are the best option. Although peat moss could be used generally try to avoid organic material.

Newbie2019

Newbie2019

Ok so I bought ph down made of Phosphoric acid. Is it safe to use right after using ph down or do I need to let it sit for some time before watering plants?

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Yes lemon juice is citric acid but also contains other stuff. In addition the concentration would likely be different.
Thanks for the input. So I'm understanding that citric acid would be a better choice than lemon juice?

What do you think about using vinegar in a soil grow?

quirk

quirk

Thanks for the input. So I'm understanding that citric acid would be a better choice than lemon juice?

I use vinegar ( 20% apple cider) as an organic weed killer, instead of f***ing Roundup, so I wouldn't use in my cannabis soil grow.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I would say so I think lemon juice is like 6-7% citric acid while the citric acid sold is usually around 50%.

Just looked up vinegar I never looked into it but have tried it in the past with poor results. It's 5-20% acetic acid. Made with ethanol and sugar and fermented with bacteria.

I would stick to citric in soil as my first choice but I would also say vinager and lemon juice will work. In order of effectiveness in ability to lower ph.

Citric acid concentrate
Vinegar
Lemon juice

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I use vinegar ( 20% apple cider) as an organic weed killer, instead of f***ing Roundup, so I wouldn't use in my cannabis soil grow.
Any acid will kill weeds. It kills them by making the leaf surface ph so low it kills the plant. I use dish soap 20% vinegar and table salt.

By the time you reach your ph with whatever acid is so diluted it's harmless

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I would say so I think lemon juice is like 6-7% citric acid while the citric acid sold is usually around 50%.

Just looked up vinegar I never looked into it but have tried it in the past with poor results. It's 5-20% acetic acid. Made with ethanol and sugar and fermented with bacteria.

I would stick to citric in soil as my first choice but I would also say vinager and lemon juice will work. In order of effectiveness in ability to lower ph.

Citric acid concentrate
Vinegar
Lemon juice
Thanks! So a product like this would be fine and basically make a mother solution and just use it like GH pH down, right?

Screenshot 20190813 205253 Chrome

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Thanks! So a product like this would be fine and basically make a mother solution and just use it like GH pH down, right?

View attachment 887896
I should add all my experience with these have been in water. So when I say I had poor results with vinegar I mean it's ability to buffer pH for an adequate period of time in water. I don't think this would be an issue in soil

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

View attachment 887896
Yup only GH ph down is phosphoric acid I believe and I would mix with distilled water. I believe chlorine and chloramines may react with it but don't quote me on that.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

...or just work some composted cow manure into your soil🧐
Yep or peat moss. Soils will bring to where you build them. Most often if you have a low carbonate hardness water like RO or even most tap you don't need to ph at all the soil will do it.

Even a moderate amount of carbonate can easily be adjusted by soil. Hi carbonate water like well water with higher amounts of limestone are an exception and should definitely be ph'ed first.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Yup only GH ph down is phosphoric acid I believe and I would mix with distilled water. I believe chlorine and chloramines may react with it but don't quote me on that.
..have always used GH, think I'll give the citric a try, thanks again!

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Yep or peat moss. Soils will bring to where you build them. Most often if you have a low carbonate hardness water like RO or even most tap you don't need to ph at all the soil will do it.

Even a moderate amount of carbonate can easily be adjusted by soil. Hi carbonate water like well water with higher amounts of limestone are an exception and should definitely be ph'ed first.
no doubt bro,my well is 500 ft deep i change the filter every month hahahah,mainly my biggest issue in the garden ,reason i amend were it adjust itself or die hahahah,sorry didnt answer post,old lady says i wont that damn engine off my coffe table and out of living room ,been fiishing it today,you already know when them hens get to squacking ass is gonna move hahahahh

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

no doubt bro,my well is 500 ft deep i change the filter every month hahahah,mainly my biggest issue in the garden ,reason i amend were it adjust itself or die hahahah,sorry didnt answer post,old lady says i wont that damn engine off my coffe table and out of living room ,been fiishing it today,you already know when them hens get to squacking ass is gonna move hahahahh
No worries bro. Lol you better get it done before she airsoft's your ass again.

Fangthane

Fangthane

Yup only GH ph down is phosphoric acid
For large pH adjustments, I use Bloom City pH Down, which is also phosphoric acid. When I'm close and just want to make small moves, I use 100% lemon juice for fine tuning. I'm a soil guy, though.

20190813 182225
20190813 182237

Top Bottom