LSD from ILGM, indoor soil

• Thread starter Gurtgurt
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Gurtgurt

Gurtgurt

End of 6th week. Transplanted into 3 gal pots. Soil is half and half ocean forest and happy frog. To this I added a little guano, worm castings, kelp meal, vermiculite, and a small amount of gypsum. Oh and today I watered fully with 0.5 tsp/gal humic liquid.

At this point I suspect deficiency.
PXL 20220123 035935892
PXL 20220123 035941551
PXL 20220123 040126279

Removed the heater from the tent so I expect temperatures inside will be lower.

I topped all 4 plants after the 4th node, but one of them (plant C, the worst off with blight) didn't seem to take. It is in back right and is taller and less bushy than the others.

I removed any leaves that fall off easily, but if they are still attached I left them.

I'm kind of disappointed in the size at this stage. It is winter, and they germinated and sprouted at low temp; but the atmosphere this run has been hotter and more humid than I've been able to get things in the past.

I will start to LST soon. You can see some stem bending I did on B and C.

Ran out of my soil at the very end, so plant C ended up with 60% mix and 40% miracle gro putting mix. C'est la vie.

Gurtgurt

Gurtgurt

I cut off any completely dry leaves and began LST. Plant C with all the problems is still the odd one out, tall and spindly.

PXL 20220125 195119550
PXL 20220125 195135886
PXL 20220125 195946167
PXL 20220125 201315395

I cracked the main stem on C and bound it with tape used to adhere bandages to skin.

One thing I noticed differently from last grow of same strain: either due to older age, or the silicon from the vermiculite, but the stems and branches seem tougher now.

I'm considering putting a net in, but I don't have the best access into the tent where it is placed. They are still small and will need to veg for still another couple weeks, don't want to get overgrown.

I still need a good oscillating fan for the tent. Why are they so expensive?

Gurtgurt

Gurtgurt

When I transplanted I didn't compact the media at all and filled all the pots to the top. After watering once and sitting for a few days the soil has compacted about 1.5 inch. It's pulling away from the sides as the fabric pot was manipulated. I'll have to fill it in with plain soil as soon as I can afford some.

PK1

PK1

Supporter
i scanned through your journal but must of missed you mentioning what nutrients you are using?
You seem to either have a calcium or potassium deficiency., I assume you are watering correctly when you mentioned two days later that the pots were being to heavy ?

Gurtgurt

Gurtgurt

I've only used veg nutes once. Other farmers suggest the root zone was unhappy. I've only fed once, thinking at that time it was deficiency.

I was thinking the fresh soil didn't need nutes yet. Only recently transplanted. I added gypsum to the soil for extra Ca.

The nutrient line I have is fix farms Grow Big veg and Tiger Bloom flower.

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
i scanned through your journal but must of missed you mentioning what nutrients you are using?
You seem to either have a calcium or potassium deficiency., I assume you are watering correctly when you mentioned two days later that the pots were being to heavy ?
Agreed; or perhaps even some cold issues that are somehow blocking the potassium. But it certainly appears a potassium issue; however it's playing itself out.
Potassium is being squeezed out somehow.

I think keeping those ambient temps above 60f at lights off is paramount; you don't want it getting too cold in there; if that's happening at all. For me; lights off cool can become a real issue during this time of year; and I've had similar responses in the past. We generally sleep with lots of covers.

The plants are doing more than you think sitting in there with the lights off; and I don't know about you; but I have a terrible time sleeping; recuperating and getting a good nights rest when I'm too cold. They don't have a nervous system like us; but plants produce important respiratory functions at night; and too much chill really upsets the apple cart so to speak; simply stated; it keeps those vital symbiotic nutrient transferring microbes from transpiring efficiently.

That said; I do think some cool is beneficial; especially in late flowering cycle; and can really enhance the plant flavors. But it needs to be closely monitored.

Last edited:
Gurtgurt

Gurtgurt

Day 1 of week 8 already.

PXL 20220201 012917570

PXL 20220201 012934740

(The humidity looks low on the gauge, humidifier ran out, plus it plummets as soon as I open the tent)

Since the new soil had compacted down naturally, I backfilled the top with: old flushed soil from my last grow, plus some worm castings and epsom salt.

Since the last post I've just been hoping that the roots will grow into the new media and everything around them would equalize. I'm noticing red leaf stems and red stripes on the main stem.

Growth still seems slow but apparently new leaves are sprouting. I've had the heater on 24 hrs; tonight I plan to put it on it's own circuit with a nighttime off cycle.

Last few times I've watered I've used Humic Liquid, never used that before. Supposed to be good for root area.

Still watering with tap water, still not pHing input water, and still not lovin' police. My last water included a couple drops calmag and some molasses haha. Why not?

Will water with plain water tomorrow. I'm starting to incorporate veg nutes. Still considering a net or just grow individual plants.

growsince79

growsince79

Day 1 of week 8 already.

View attachment 1212399
View attachment 1212400
(The humidity looks low on the gauge, humidifier ran out, plus it plummets as soon as I open the tent)

Since the new soil had compacted down naturally, I backfilled the top with: old flushed soil from my last grow, plus some worm castings and epsom salt.

Since the last post I've just been hoping that the roots will grow into the new media and everything around them would equalize. I'm noticing red leaf stems and red stripes on the main stem.

Growth still seems slow but apparently new leaves are sprouting. I've had the heater on 24 hrs; tonight I plan to put it on it's own circuit with a nighttime off cycle.

Last few times I've watered I've used Humic Liquid, never used that before. Supposed to be good for root area.

Still watering with tap water, still not pHing input water, and still not lovin' police. My last water included a couple drops calmag and some molasses haha. Why not?

Will water with plain water tomorrow. I'm starting to incorporate veg nutes. Still considering a net or just grow individual plants.
How long are you gonna veg?

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
Day 1 of week 8 already.

View attachment 1212399
View attachment 1212400

Looks fully recoded now; I suspect the mag sulfate helped a lot also. I agree with 79 here; you maybe want to consider flipping soon. Within a week or so if you can gear them up nice and healthy going into it. You want to be on track; but sooner better than later I suspect.

It's going to get full in there fast.

Gurtgurt

Gurtgurt

PXL 20211115 022513758

Here is the last grow, same batch of seeds. Spent 10 weeks in veg, but granted these were topped a few times. Didn't stretch much at all. If it were up to me I'd probably veg for another week or 2, let the lower branches catch up. Most of my side branches are really skinny right now, same with main trunk.

I have 2 nets, those crappy elastic ones with 6 inch squares. Considering adding those soon. If I did I'd just veg until canopy is filled out while clipping lower growth. But I'm open to suggestions!

Gurtgurt

Gurtgurt

PXL 20220201 232715718

Watered today, just plain water. I noticed the excess water smelled kind of like creek water, but in a good way. There were some dried crumbled leaf pieces in the pot, after crushing even those were very fragrant, herbal but not marijuana smell.

Cut and pulled off any leaves that were mostly dead. One plant lanky and crusty, one plant very bushy lots of internodes, and two in between.

Stems still seem super-thin to me:
PXL 20220201 193441222

I left leaves that have the blight and are still mostly green. Fortunately we seem to be growing a higher percentage of green growth.

I continue LST and hope the stems get thicker. Another reason for me to extend veg is all the amendments I added and didn't let sit beforehand.

I've reformatted my heating which now includes off cycle. I'll watch to see what the minimum temp gets to.

Gurtgurt

Gurtgurt

Lights are on from 6:00 to midnight.

The heater is on from 5:00 to 23:00, then again from 2:00-2:30. The heater is either off or on. The little bit of heat during the night is too try to keep things from getting too cold.

It appears last night the minimum was 59.7 degF, but who knows for how long. Still probably better than hot all the time.

growsince79

growsince79

Lights are on from 6:00 to midnight.

The heater is on from 5:00 to 23:00, then again from 2:00-2:30. The heater is either off or on. The little bit of heat during the night is too try to keep things from getting too cold.

It appears last night the minimum was 59.7 degF, but who knows for how long. Still probably better than hot all the time.
My lsd has been getting about 62 at night. Buds are kinda small but solid.

Gurtgurt

Gurtgurt

Beginning of week 10 veg.
PXL 20220208 012842582

PXL 20220208 012854064

PXL 20220208 013055556

In my opinion, still growing slowly-- I attribute this to low temperatures. Since I've put the heater on a timer there has been one night where the temp got to 58.7 degF. I may add another increment where the heater turns on at night, but the timer is just hard to get to.

Still have blight on a few leaves each plant, including now upper leaves. But the majority are normal looking.

Seems to me like it's taking a long time for the soil to dry out. I didn't update my log last time so don't remember when I watered last; surely 4 days ago at least. Anyway pots were light and dry on top, but they weren't slumped over yet. Watered today with 1 tsp Grow Big, 1 tsp humic liquid, and scant tsp Epsom salt. Last time was plain water.

First time using this stuff:
Gal humic 1152x1536

Red stripes on main stems and red petioles. Last run had the same, but maybe less red on the main stems. Could be from LED light/want of Mg caused by the LEDs.

Been getting shit readings from Photone light measuring app. Same reason I quit using a pH pen. Lights are on maybe 70 percent.

Stems are strong like Russian woman, this is new from last grow (same plants different amendments).

Still debating adding a net. It sucks to water in place, but in a little while I won't be able to take them out to water. What do YOU think? 🤔

No plan right now. I want to keep things semi constant and get the plants fully green before changing light schedule.

Gal humic 1152x1536
Gurtgurt

Gurtgurt

End of week 10. Haircut yesterday and water today. 5 days since last water and pots were very light, leaves just beginning to droop. Watered with plain water, and mixed with 3 mL calmag and 5 mL humic.

I've had the exhaust fan going very slowly to try to keep tent RH up. Due to the long water retention I decided it would be better to turn exhaust fan up. Humidity capped at like 48% now. I have no intake fan. The air is pulled in from around the heater. Temp is about 72 / 60-something deg F.

I continue LST but will have to decide soon whether to use the net. Stems are noticably stronger than what I'm used to, I guess that's good.

I only trimmed leaves and maybe 2 tiny branches. The biggest fan leaves weren't all that big, but they are all growing more leaves now. Crusty leaves remain on a few, granted only a small percentage.

I want to get leaves up to ramp up growth. I hope the long veg allows the crusty leaf issue to run it's course. I plan at least another defoliating where I'll also remove branches.

Bonus lettuce and parsley.

PXL 20220211 212807765
PXL 20220211 214015028
PXL 20220211 214111745
PXL 20220211 214954287
PXL 20220211 215101004
PXL 20220211 215745342
PXL 20220211 215905181
PXL 20220211 220552468
PXL 20220212 232840481MP
Gurtgurt

Gurtgurt

PXL 20220217 224153742

Water with 1 tsp humic and 1 tsp Grow Big. Major pruning and cleaning of nodes today.

It's middle of week 11 already. I notice water is being taken up more rapidly but still not incredible growth. Maybe low temperatures. Night time min is 60 degF, normally 72. Can't put heater up much more without overloading ext cord. Humidity hovers at 60 pct, off at night.

Kinda getting bored with veg but already in this far. Still questioning installing the net. Plan for now is to water a few more times, let things even out vertically, then flip the lights.

growsince79

growsince79

View attachment 1218193

Water with 1 tsp humic and 1 tsp Grow Big. Major pruning and cleaning of nodes today.

It's middle of week 11 already. I notice water is being taken up more rapidly but still not incredible growth. Maybe low temperatures. Night time min is 60 degF, normally 72. Can't put heater up much more without overloading ext cord. Humidity hovers at 60 pct, off at night.

Kinda getting bored with veg but already in this far. Still questioning installing the net. Plan for now is to water a few more times, let things even out vertically, then flip the lights.
I wouldn't use a net unless I have to. Lsd is supposed to stay short so no net was needed on mine. What's the humic acid for? I just saw a study says it lowers thc.

Gurtgurt

Gurtgurt

The humic liquid was bought and incorporated purely based on ads and pretty packaging, and me buying the idea of it being a root growth stimulator. That article was new to me but it makes the decision easy. I'll quit using it.

One thing I will say, it makes the water smell very 'earthy'/rich.

No net then. I'll flip in a couple days or after next water.

Thanks growmaster79, I guess I don't know how tall a wild LSD plant would get. My plants are always squatty though. I want to get the colas better set before flipping.

Gurtgurt

Gurtgurt

Long time since last update but nothing exciting. I am in week 2 of flower schedule.

Since these are all the same strain, I labeled them A, B, C, D early on. A was the most developed, D was least. Now they are all about on even footing. C always had the most leaf problems.

Alpha:
PXL 20220311 203517725

PXL 20220311 203512566

Thickest trunk

Beta:
PXL 20220311 205948852

PXL 20220311 205932522MP

Charlie:
PXL 20220311 210017950MP

PXL 20220311 210001944

Tallest by a couple inches; branches starting to poke skyward.

Dorkus:
PXL 20220311 203534905

PXL 20220311 203529190

I usually use pipe cleaners to hold branches but ran out, so I got some string, twist ties, and wire in there too.

Beginning to use higher amounts of liquid fertilizer. Still less than amount listed on Fox Farm feeding guide jpeg (which itself is half of recommended amount printed on bottle). Plants are taking water faster now, but this may also be due to addition of fan around fabric grow bags. Starting to introduce bloom nutrients.

I did a soil slurry sample and pH was around 6. I added about 2 tbsp of wood ash to each pot as top dress. Is it helping? Who knows. Leaf crust still evident in differing amounts in all plants.

So a change in practice now, I adjust the pH of feed water. Here's my analog meter:
PXL 20220311 202001888

A few days before flipping light schedule I defoliated and twisted stems. Apparently I didn't cut off nearly enough because shit is crowded now.

After flipping I removed any LST and let them rest a few days. I was hoping for this burst of vertical growth but instead the plants just got super bushy. I've since tied many branches back down to expose as much as I can. After the stems harden I will remove the LST for good (advice?).

I plan to defoliate again in week 3 and 6. Or should I go ahead and nip thin inner branches now so they don't suck any more growth?

Things are still going slow because it's colder'n a witch's teat out here. Wasting a lot of energy trying to heat this bitch.

Thanks,
Gurtgurt, sent from my Motorola RAZR

Gurtgurt

Gurtgurt

Day 17 flower. Defoliated. Doing a feed-feed-water type regiment.
I left too many branches. I should have several nicely stacked branches around the outside and a bunch of little ones in the middle. For the small branches especially I tried to remove lower bud sites. It's alright.
PXL 20220315 234809919

I've concluded my basement is just too cold to grow in winter.

Top Bottom